N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: F30 335i
Default 1 series E81 N54 Automatic custom single turbo - 07-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Hello everyone, I have an E81 with N54 automatic swap, custom single turbo manifold made from two stock manifolds,
single scroll Holset HX40 60mm compressor inducer, 64mm turbine exducer, 16cm turbine housing
3.5 bar map sensor
MAC solenoid from BMS
precision 46mm single wastegate
big intercooler similar to bigtom with 4 inch core
Jb4
water meth with twin BM10 nozzles
525 LPH walbro TI hellcat pump
E85 back end flash
XHP transmission flash stage 3
new 2 step colder plugs
new delphi coils same part number as the S55 M3
stock injectors index 10
running 40% pure ethanol mixed 95 octane (actually 91.5)
and 100% meth

can someone please review my logs ?

ps: It is summer time, 2am temp is 24-25 c and humidity is around 70% and DA in dragy is 1100m !!
I am consistently getting 6.5 seconds on this 26psi boost target, my car weighs around 1500 including me

good log Map-5.csv

good_Map-5.csv
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Hey-

Neat setup, dont see many of the 2 stock manifold setups around anymore.

You have quite a few timing drops, pre / post shift & your HPFP touches into the "7s" - personlaly i'd drop down a map to keep your HPFP a bit happier, and it may clean up the timing a little.

Throw up 1-2 logs and lets see.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-22-2019, 10:30 PM

Thanks dave, what about the huge variation between trims of both banks ?! Also, what do you suggest in order for me to be able to fuel enough for this map and the next one (28 psi) I have port injection with 750cc injectors and a dual pump setup in my other unfinished project 1 series, but I am not so convinced with PI, I do not like the idea of part of the fuel sprayed early i the port, should I for example go meth on the port fuel injection with the port injection controller ?
(#4)
Old

Default 07-22-2019, 10:34 PM

What do u also recommend for the huge boost spikes between shifts ? IT shouldn't be so bad because it happens while the throttle body closes between shifts, but seams like it does have an effect on timing, is it normal for timing to go to zero while shifting ?
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklhso
Thanks dave, what about the huge variation between trims of both banks ?! Also, what do you suggest in order for me to be able to fuel enough for this map and the next one (28 psi) I have port injection with 750cc injectors and a dual pump setup in my other unfinished project 1 series, but I am not so convinced with PI, I do not like the idea of part of the fuel sprayed early i the port, should I for example go meth on the port fuel injection with the port injection controller ?
I personally like port injection- I'd install that if you have it & run full e85- tbh that may clean up timing & solve the HPFP issue all together.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-24-2019, 06:19 AM

here in Egypt, cost of ethanol is 25 EGP per liter while methanol is only 7 le per liter ! so its a huge difference in cost, anything that could be done with methanol is a huge plus cost wise ! that's why I was thinking meth port injection with the port injection controller and the 750cc injectors, that is doable correct ? If yes, can I use a single water meth pump? or dual parallel pumps? do I need to install relays to power the pumps ? on the other hand, for a 525 LPH pump, 40% ethanol+ two BM10 straight meth, I thought I can make it to 28psi without the need for extra fuel! what's not up for the job ?
(#7)
Old

Default 07-24-2019, 06:58 AM

also I think the sudden drops in HPFP are due to the boost spikes, not due to being insufficient, I think my china BOV has an incorrect spring will try to mod it, may be turn the screw on the meth pump quarter of a turn or even half, I want to tweak it a little bit for now just to be able to race a guy with a 340i BigBoost turbo kit running 27psi and a stripped out 800kg honda civic with a K20 with motor work and a big Turbo, running boost by gear and boost by RPM, full time slicks and a custom geared 6 speed gearbox :D
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-24-2019, 09:54 PM

Took another look at the log you have posted.

If e85 is that expensive, personally I wouldn’t use it then.

Many however have used our fuel it Pi kit as a “port meth kit” and ran methanol w. The JB4 controller

Based on the log you have posted- I do think there’s a little more in it without having to change much, the spikes could be the Bov, or just a flaw in the flow design of using 2 stock manifolds - try messing with the bov spring a bit & lets see

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 07-25-2019, 12:37 AM

I messed with the spring already but will take logs tonight, i too think there is still some more in it before changing much because at full boost (26 psi) highload high gear high rpm, the hpfp is not dropping , still strong above 11 ! When I was using a single bm10 nozzle, my hpfp was dropping to 9 in 4th and 5th gear, will report back to you with logs, thank you very much I really appreciate your support!
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-25-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I messed with the spring already but will take logs tonight, i too think there is still some more in it before changing much because at full boost (26 psi) highload high gear high rpm, the hpfp is not dropping , still strong above 11 ! When I was using a single bm10 nozzle, my hpfp was dropping to 9 in 4th and 5th gear, will report back to you with logs, thank you very much I really appreciate your support!

Donít mention it- curious to see a few more logs

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default More logs - 07-26-2019, 03:38 AM

The mod I did to the BOV spring didn't help with the huge spike between gears, I put more ethanol yesterday, I put 60% pure ethanol to 40% 92 octane, in addition to my 100% dual bm10 meth, but humidity was 84% yesterday and temp was 26 c, timing is still not good, my wastegate is currently opening 16psi on map 1 which I guess is somewhat high and this stiff spring might be the reason for the huge spikes, I will put less spring and try again, I will also go less ethanol, may be 50%, clear adaptations and give it a go , here are some logs
Attached Files
File Type: csv 41thpull_Map-5.csv (12.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv 60ethanol_Map-5.csv (15.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv huge spikes_Map-5.csv (19.9 KB, 45 views)
(#12)
Old

Default 07-26-2019, 04:10 AM

Bank 2 trims from what I understand is showing good numbers, but bank 1 trims are very high it does not stick at 50 but its really high, I am not sure if that is due to meth not spraying evenly or its a bad injector, I am getting a set of refurbed index 12 injectors and will c, I also thought I might disable meth and try to log map 1 to c if trims will still diverge or merge close to each other, to c if the problem is with meth or injectors or something else
(#13)
Old

Default 07-27-2019, 06:49 AM

the wastegate had a 12,1 spring that actually yielded 16 psi on map 1, so I dropped it down to 10psi spring hoping to be in the 13 psi actual boost, which I guess is good for running map 5 and map 7 (26 and 28 psi), I think the 16psi spring was a bit too much for map 5, may be it was the reason for the spike during shifts? I also changed the intercooler to another 1 that I customized with complete 3 inch pipe between intercooler and throttle body, I think the 2.5 inch was a bit restrictive for these boost and power targets
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-27-2019, 09:11 AM

Keep us posted.

Always a bit frustrating, especially when dealing with kind of a 1-off setup / manifold

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 07-27-2019, 10:34 AM

don't worry I am not frustrated :D I am targeting 5.5-5.6 seconds on this 1 off setup, you think it is possible ?
(#16)
Old

Default 07-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Today was a really busy day, I took off the inake manifold, and spent 5 hours of cleaning the ports and the valves, they were full of s***t but now they are in a much better condition, i also installed the port injection spacer and injectors, modifying the inlet to take the nylon methanol line, and there will be an additional line going out of the spacer and to a single bm5 nozzle at the charge pipe as I want to drop the iats as well so that the IAT correction tables in the BEF does not pull timing, my port injection is by mmp, old style with 800cc injectors, my question is

When I install the port injection controller do I keep the fsb ? Or do i take the yellow line going supposedly to the fuel pump and connect it to lets say 40amp relay and to the meth pump ??
(#17)
Old

Default 08-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Things didn't work out good for me, I installed the port injection with meth line feeding the plate and another line going out of the plate and into a single cm5 nozzle on the charge pipe, I was running E55 mix confirmed by the ethanol sensor now under the car with bluetooth, also made sure that my virtual sensor is reading the same 55 percent but in terms of e85 its around 68 % e85, went with map 3, pump kicks in and port injection is showing the white line in the log and also, meth trace is there, but trims rocket to 50 and stay there!!! Don't know why!!! It looks terrible so I could't log any gear above third ... tried with 50 accross fuel bias and 75 amd even 100, trims are still going to 50 !!!
Attached Files
File Type: csv pi_Map-3.csv (6.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: csv pi2_Map-3.csv (6.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: csv pi3_Map-3.csv (6.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: csv pi4_Map-3.csv (8.5 KB, 52 views)
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-02-2019, 11:40 AM

Just to double check- did you update / change the BEF to reflect the added PI?

What are you using for the controller? our integrated one?

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 08-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Yes/yes, just did another pull and it flashed the hazard 4 times... I even put a led indicator infront of me that lights with the pump, and the pump is working, compared the flow of the pump to another one I have, flow is the same, what am i missing ?! When the log shown fuel fuel enrichment and meth flow, does that guarantee that injectors are working ??
(#20)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-02-2019, 09:43 PM

If you are getting meth tracing- that’s an indicator that it’s “turning on” but based on the trims maxing @ 50- it’s basically saying we need more fuel...

What injectors are in the Rail?

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 08-04-2019, 12:25 AM

my injectors are generic 800cc injectors that came with my MMP port injection kit, can it be bad injectors ? or simply they can not deal with methanol or the 200psi of the meth pump ?
(#22)
Old

Default 08-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Finally figured it out, the injectors are unbranded parts and they didn't like the extra pressure, I took the manifold, pump, tank and port injection out, tried the injectors on a battery and they worked fine, but when I connected the pump and it pressurized the rail, the injectors didnt like the 200psi the pump gives them and they just stick closed !! Tried it 10 times and the injectors only fired 1 time!! As soom as I disconnect the pump, the injectors open and close normally!!

I went straight to plan B, dual 525 LPH walbro pumps with bucketless holder, one gets its power from the ekp and connects to the stock fuel line, the other has a custom -6 AN line going to the port injection rail and another line going from the rail to an external adjustable fuel regulator and a line going back to the tank! Proper port injection it is

On a side note, I did a little research online, and there is a new fuel blend currently starting to be used in Austrailia called GEM56 this blend is composed of 56% Methanol and 44% 93oct petrol, the documents published about it compares it to E85 and clearly states that this mix is equal to E85 in terms of octana, and that a fuel system that can handle E85 will also be able to handle it, and last thing, this mix cools down the combustion chamber more efficiently compared to E85 !

So I will start with mixing something like 70% ethanol to petrol and setup my car until it runs happily and may be a week later I will give the ethanol mix a go, will try something like 40% meth to petrol mix and if I get good results will post a complete thread about it here on N54 tech since here in Egypt it is much cheaper to get methanol, even cheaper than 95 octane fuel!
(#23)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Finally figured it out, the injectors are unbranded parts and they didn't like the extra pressure, I took the manifold, pump, tank and port injection out, tried the injectors on a battery and they worked fine, but when I connected the pump and it pressurized the rail, the injectors didnt like the 200psi the pump gives them and they just stick closed !! Tried it 10 times and the injectors only fired 1 time!! As soom as I disconnect the pump, the injectors open and close normally!!

I went straight to plan B, dual 525 LPH walbro pumps with bucketless holder, one gets its power from the ekp and connects to the stock fuel line, the other has a custom -6 AN line going to the port injection rail and another line going from the rail to an external adjustable fuel regulator and a line going back to the tank! Proper port injection it is

On a side note, I did a little research online, and there is a new fuel blend currently starting to be used in Austrailia called GEM56 this blend is composed of 56% Methanol and 44% 93oct petrol, the documents published about it compares it to E85 and clearly states that this mix is equal to E85 in terms of octana, and that a fuel system that can handle E85 will also be able to handle it, and last thing, this mix cools down the combustion chamber more efficiently compared to E85 !

So I will start with mixing something like 70% ethanol to petrol and setup my car until it runs happily and may be a week later I will give the ethanol mix a go, will try something like 40% meth to petrol mix and if I get good results will post a complete thread about it here on N54 tech since here in Egypt it is much cheaper to get methanol, even cheaper than 95 octane fuel!

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Default 08-05-2019, 01:40 AM

it's gonna take some time till I test it, so don't eat too much popcorn, you will get overweight and your quarter mile and 100-200 times will be affected significantly !! :P :P :P
(#25)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
it's gonna take some time till I test it, so don't eat too much popcorn, you will get overweight and your quarter mile and 100-200 times will be affected significantly !! :P :P :P

Burger Motorsports