N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 E60/535i AT ó FBO+WMI
Default Custom, in-engine-bay WMI complete. Video. - 04-08-2017, 11:39 AM

YouTube video, 1.5 minutes, brief overview. Shot with my iPad, sun was on screen so I couldn't tell what I was shooting, but it came out okay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8Sm040yLc&sns=em

Got it done. 90% BMS, with some additional parts from Devil's Own and elsewhere. The people over at Devil's are awesome! And of course you can't beat the kind of ongoing support we receive DAILY from Terry and the BMS folks. I'm sure you don't hear it enough...THANK YOU!

This project was challenging, but very satisfying. Everyone told me NO which always makes me say BET ME, lol.

I did, however, take all the input I received from my other post (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45053) and apply it to the build.
- I "weatherproofed" the pump by applying a very thin layer of silicone sealant between the mating surfaces (a great recommendation from Ernesto at Devil's Own www.alcohol-injection.com)
- I used a motor boot to cover 80% of the motor and sealed where the wires exit the boot (Devil's Own)
- I added a deflector shield to keep direct exposure from the elements away from the motor (.060 Kydex)

All wiring is soldered and loomed, except for the connections to the pump and solenoid which are connected using bullet connectors (solenoid at end of wires), and TAP-IT connectors (for pump).

Tank holds 1/2 gallon, which may be a little small for some of you but will prob be fine for me. VERY easy to inspect and fill. Rock solid mounting.

Now I just have to upload the RACE backend flash and I think I'll be good to go!
(I'll be using map 3, and I changed my JB4 settings to additive 40 and scaling to 60...I think that's all that's needed).

Questions or comments...I can take it...don't hesitate.

// Radar //

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) , VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve

Last edited by RadarContact; 04-08-2017 at 11:45 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Any reason you did not want to go with a trunk mounted setup?

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#3)
Old

Default 04-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
Any reason you did not want to go with a trunk mounted setup?
1) I didn't want to give up the trunk space. This car is my daily driver and my wife's and my long haul vacation vehicle as well.
*Picked up my brother in law and his GF from the airport last week...they had two large and one small piece of luggage. All (barely) fit in the trunk, which was really nice. Totally solidified my decision (even though I was more than halfway done with it already). Point is...no regrets.

2) tons of room in the engine bay once the OEM air cleaner housing was removed/replaced by DCIs.

3) easy to check and fill, possibly easier to fill than in trunk depending on where it's mounted in someone's trunk.

4) didn't care too much for the lines running inside the vehicle, and outside vehicle seemed a little shady vs less than 3' of total line inside the engine bay (with a split nozzle set up at that).

5) I'm a little "different"...lol

// Radar //

2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) , VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Looks clean.. My main concern would be the heat. Radiant heat will cause meth to boil in the pump head and can effectively hydrolock it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 04-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Looks clean.. My main concern would be the heat. Radiant heat will cause meth to boil in the pump head and can effectively hydrolock it.
I pointed that out to him in the other thread, he does not care.

N54's run hot too, and the more power you make, the hotter it will be.

Good luck RadarContact, I think after all this it would be great to hear back in 6 months on how it works out.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#6)
Old

Default 04-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Easy enough to run everything back to the trunk if I have to...no biggie. We'll see how it goes.

As long as the FSB does it's job, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. It'll be a lesson learned.

Terry, thanks for the "clean" compliment. That was my goal.

// Radar //

Last edited by RadarContact; 04-09-2017 at 02:41 PM..
(#7)
Old

Default 04-09-2017, 02:33 PM

One-day UPDATE:

I have to say, I'm not only surprised but I'm almost shocked.

I drove the car for the first time today after the install. To be honest, all I kept thinking about was, "Man, I hope I didn't screw up" all the way to work (yes I work on Sundays). It's a 45 min (26 mile) trip that's 25% city, 50% highway, then 25% city again.
I began thinking of ways I could keep the heat off of the pump, etc., planning for the inevitable problems I set myself up for.

Got to work and popped the hood. Ambient temp was 77į, under the hood seemed like 325į, lol, and everything was too hot to hold. Could touch a few things but most were literally skin-burning hot: alternator, oil filter housing, coolant overflow container, etc. Even my DCIs were too hot to touch for more than a second.
Then I felt the WMI pump and literally started laughing a little out loud...it was COOLER than the outside temp! And the stainless steel "zip ties" (bands) I used to secure it to the body were actually COLD. WTF? The weirdest thing...I couldn't believe it. I guess that the pump, in that location, is shielded from the hot motor and at the same time receives the cool air that comes in from behind the headlight. But everything on that side of the motor was not-hot, not cool, but not hot. Like the brass fittings and the solenoid, etc. They we're all warm, but not hot.

Now, sitting with the car parked and the engine still hot (parked) might be a different story, so...
It's been sitting for one hour and 45 minutes now, so I'm gonna run outside and check the pump head again...stand by...

I'm back.
Just checked. Motor accessories are still very hot but I can touch for a few seconds at a time now. DCIs are cool enough to hold. WMI Pump is warmer than it was, no longer cool feeling, but only slightly warm, if even that.

Now I know this is only test 1, day 1, trip number 1... but I think I'm gonna be just fine. I think it will remain a success. I'm happy until there's a reason not to be happy anymore.

Thanks for the constructive criticism as it gave me something to look for, check for, and to keep an eye on.

I'll post back in the dead of summer to report on how it does in 98į ambient temps and much more congested summer driving conditions (tourist season). I'll be honest, no reason not to be.

// Radar //

Last edited by RadarContact; 04-09-2017 at 02:42 PM..
(#8)
Old

Default 4-month UPDATE - 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM

I've had the system installed for 4 months now with daily temps at around 94-98į. I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with my system.

I did recently (last week or so) hit everything with radiant foil "tape". Not because I was having any problems, but because I had a bunch left over from doing my chargepipe. Figured it couldn't hurt!

I'm very happy with it all.

(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 06-29-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarContact
I've had the system installed for 4 months now with daily temps at around 94-98į. I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with my system.

I did recently (last week or so) hit everything with radiant foil "tape". Not because I was having any problems, but because I had a bunch left over from doing my chargepipe. Figured it couldn't hurt!

I'm very happy with it all.

Hi RadarContact!

I've been reading over your threads regarding this.
How is your WMI system to date?
Still managing the temps?
No hydro locking in the pump? (from meth boil)
1/2 gallon tank still OK for your usage?

I have to install WMI as soon as possible.
I'll be going with BMS as it integrates with the JB4 for management.
I'm not certain on the tank decision at this time.

Thanks for your write ups.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#10)
Old

Default 07-01-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Hi RadarContact!

I've been reading over your threads regarding this.
How is your WMI system to date?
Still managing the temps?
No hydro locking in the pump? (from meth boil)
1/2 gallon tank still OK for your usage?

I have to install WMI as soon as possible.
I'll be going with BMS as it integrates with the JB4 for management.
I'm not certain on the tank decision at this time.

Thanks for your write ups.
Glad to answer your questions! Itís nice to be able to help someone else considering how much help everyone here has helped me!

How is your WMI system to date? Outstanding! Best decision ever, putting it where I did.
Still managing the temps? The meth mixture doesnít even get warm, even now in July in Florida.
No hydro locking in the pump? (from meth boil). Nope, meth stays ďroom tempĒ, sprays room temp, etc. As I posted, I did cover the tank in the heat reflective material, and (really more just to hide them) I ran my tubing through heat proof tubing. So the whole system is protected from heat... but to be honest I donít think there was ever anything to worry about. But there are some really smart guys on this forum that know much more than me who had concerns. Iíve just never experienced ANY problem with my system due to heat. And it looks pretty badass as well, to be honest!
1/2 gallon tank still OK for your usage? I top it off every Sunday and it takes about a cup, 8 oz. to fill. I have a special funnel that I keep in a gallon ziplock in with the 4 gallon boost juice shipping box. I bought 4gallons of Boost juice sometime last year and Iím only on number three right now, so less than 4 gals a year (about 3-1/4 gals/year actually).

I donít know if I updated my post, but I went from double 5ís to a single 10 spray head. The only reason was because I couldnít get to the second spray head very easily to check/clean/etc. The way VRSF arranged them was a bad design. So now I just have the single #10 sprayhead in the top bung with a really short length of tubing from the solenoid to the spray head. I liked the idea of the double 5ís but this is much better from a practical standpoint.

Any qís let me know, either here or PM. Good luck!

// Radar //

(#11)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 07-01-2018, 06:51 PM

I'm glad the concerns around your set up were unfounded, RadarContact - nice work. Way to prove it

(#12)
Old

Default 07-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
I'm glad the concerns around your set up were unfounded, RadarContact - nice work. Way to prove it
Well, thanks but I wasnít out to prove anything... and I surely thought I would myself be proven to be wrong. I just didnít like the idea of giving up even a little bit of my trunk, lol!

(#13)
Old

Default 07-02-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well, thanks but I wasnít out to prove anything... and I surely thought I would myself be proven to be wrong. I just didnít like the idea of giving up even a little bit of my trunk, lol!
... and I would add that I did take all of the forumís concerns VERY seriously!
I did a few things* that I wouldnít have thought of BECAUSE you guys cared enough to try to keep from making a mistake and I appreciate that.

*Used an insulating sleeve for the pump
Ran all of my lines through heat protective tube sleeves
Covered the tank in heat reflective material
Etc, etc, etc.

// Radar //

(#14)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 07-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
... and I would add that I did take all of the forumís concerns VERY seriously!
I did a few things* that I wouldnít have thought of BECAUSE you guys cared enough to try to keep from making a mistake and I appreciate that.

*Used an insulating sleeve for the pump
Ran all of my lines through heat protective tube sleeves
Covered the tank in heat reflective material
Etc, etc, etc.

// Radar //

I appreciated your open mindedness and consideration of cautions. Respect.

I will emulate your setup closely, with the highest regard for safety. I will run BMS meth kit, heat shielding, etc. Then monitor temps. (Have remote thermostats to help track)

Again, your write-ups and respect... both are quality.

Here's to supervised meth!!

(I'm sure I'll be reaching out over the next short while)

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#15)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default 07-02-2018, 11:02 AM

I am in the process of doing the same set up, and I won the BMW lotto by having your thread be on the top of the page when I went looking My ride is a 2009 535i

I was thinking about Hijacking the windshield washer fluid tank for mine, I was thinking I would just add in a second port. Not much difference between washer fluid and meth anyways.

Off topic but, when you did your down ***** did you drop the subframe? everyone says that the down ***** on the 535 is a real pain in the rear. I have new inlets on the way and if I am crawling under my car I might as well kill the ***** while I am at it.
(#16)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 07-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Many say you don't have to drop the sub-frame to install the d-p's - but would probably give you more room to work. I did not install my d-p's, but my indie dropped the subframe to do them, and he does tons of d-p installs.

Inlets at the same time - you'll have a much easier time slipping the inlets over the turbo compressor snouts when the d-p's off, but it won't help with routing the rear inlet behind the engine, that is supposed to be the hard part.

(#17)
Old

Default 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM

What did you tap into for your switched power source under the hood?
(#18)
Old

Default 07-17-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beencrashed
I am in the process of doing the same set up, and I won the BMW lotto by having your thread be on the top of the page when I went looking My ride is a 2009 535i

I was thinking about Hijacking the windshield washer fluid tank for mine, I was thinking I would just add in a second port. Not much difference between washer fluid and meth anyways.

Off topic but, when you did your down ***** did you drop the subframe? everyone says that the down ***** on the 535 is a real pain in the rear. I have new inlets on the way and if I am crawling under my car I might as well kill the ***** while I am at it.
Inlets are cool, except I think you have to move a lot of stuff out of the way... again, I am unsure ó not very educated in that area. I have not done them. You might have no choice but to use the washer tank because once you make room for the inlets by moving stuff to the other side you might not have that big open area on the driverís side any longer.

The d/p install was THE HARDEST thing Iíve ever done, mechanically. That doesnít mean itíd be that hard for someone else, but it was for me, by myself, lying on my back in my driveway. 16 hours, bloody knuckles, and at one point my arm was so stuck I had to wait for the swelling to go down to pull it out. Luckily my daughter in law was willing to get me a beer! Lol

WW fluid vs. BOOST JUICE: I would research that a little more maybe. I remember thinking the same thing for a while but ultimately decided on the 49/51% of the real stuff. I use so little of it that itís not a cost concern.
(My tuner, Trebila, wanted me to go with higher meth % but I didnít want the potential fire hazard involved with that, especially inside the hood area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Many say you don't have to drop the sub-frame to install the d-p's - but would probably give you more room to work. I did not install my d-p's, but my indie dropped the subframe to do them, and he does tons of d-p installs.

Inlets at the same time - you'll have a much easier time slipping the inlets over the turbo compressor snouts when the d-p's off, but it won't help with routing the rear inlet behind the engine, that is supposed to be the hard part.
Dropping the subframe may very well be worth the effort. There are how-toís that say you can go in from the pass side wheel-well. That didnít do anything for me. All was done from underneath, and the V-clamps were by far the hardest part. Make sure you completely drop the exhaust off the car. I didnít, but wish I had once I got started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beencrashed
What did you tap into for your switched power source under the hood?
All connections were (as instructed) for the BMS WMI and the JB4.

(#19)
Old

Default 07-17-2018, 09:44 AM

I have stock location inlets so I shouldn't have to move anything, I hope.

I am going to roll with the windshield washer fluid for a while, I live in BFE and methanol is a 3hr drive for me, it will can wait until I make the drive to the ****y

I found a connection for the power trigger using JB4 makes it pretty easy I think. I am using a AEM controller and MHD
(#20)
Old

Default 09-23-2020, 06:56 AM

Hey, just curious if you ever pressed on with the WMI system. Itís been a long time so you may not even have that car anymore, lol. Anyways, just checking to see if you made any changes or improvements. Iím still 100% happy with the setup I built.

// Radar //

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
I appreciated your open mindedness and consideration of cautions. Respect.

I will emulate your setup closely, with the highest regard for safety. I will run BMS meth kit, heat shielding, etc. Then monitor temps. (Have remote thermostats to help track)

Again, your write-ups and respect... both are quality.

Here's to supervised meth!!

(I'm sure I'll be reaching out over the next short while)