N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Log review please - 09-09-2020, 01:27 PM

My car is kicking me to map 4 in the middle of a pull. Last cause is always boost over target but in the logs it is never going 1 psi over target. I have raised the limit to 20psi but it is still happening. Could someone take a look at this log and give advise please. Thanks in advance. Car is e92 manual Rwd:
jb4 on map 1
Aluminum intakes(end where coolant bottle was)
Mhd usa pump gas bef
Charge pipe w/ Tial bov
Cdp's
Stock turbos
93 octane, stg 2 lpfp
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200909_145541.csv (9.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by VinceI; 09-09-2020 at 02:58 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-09-2020, 07:29 PM

Couple of things...

Timing doesn’t look great, id assume lack of octane

Bump your FOL up a bit as well, try 60

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-09-2020, 08:20 PM

Thanks Dave I went through my settings and found that the settings were set to 4/3 not 4/2 for bef. This lowered the boost target back to 15 psi. I tried putting the fol up to 60 and logged it. The timing looked worse to me than when the bef setting was wrong so I put fol back to 0 and logged it again. I'm attaching both logs. Can you take a look at them and let me know what you think. It's running very lean to 3000 rpms and timing doesnt seem good even on only 15psi. Thoughts on this? Thanks, Vince
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200909_234907.csv (9.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200910_000417.csv (10.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by VinceI; 09-09-2020 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Info in post changed
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-11-2020, 05:06 PM

Timing doesn't look great on either tbh.

I am going to assume the AFR being lean, coincides with the car trying to acheive target, as it comes back down after.

Do you have access to any better gas? or even e85

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-11-2020, 08:22 PM

E85 is a little hard to get here but it can be done. Was thinking about trying it starting at 30% and going up from there. To get full benefit when I get up to 40% I have read I should put the e85 bef in it. Would it be possible to run it on 93 with the e85 flash if I cant get to e85 on a particular week? The last thing I want to do is to have to constantly flash it if I cant get e85. Thanks, Vince
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-12-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceI
E85 is a little hard to get here but it can be done. Was thinking about trying it starting at 30% and going up from there. To get full benefit when I get up to 40% I have read I should put the e85 bef in it. Would it be possible to run it on 93 with the e85 flash if I cant get to e85 on a particular week? The last thing I want to do is to have to constantly flash it if I cant get e85. Thanks, Vince
We'd need some logs, but you can run e30/40 with the pump flash.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 09-14-2020, 10:12 PM

Dave, I put e85 in the car. Mixed it with 93 octane to 35% using an e85 calculator. Made 3 pulls in 3rd gear, traction control off from around 2000-2500 to 6500 rpms. Individual timing seems to have smoothed out between cylinders but the avg ign went from 3.3 up to 4.1 by the third pull. any ideas on why this might be happening? This thing ran so much better when the jb4 was mistakenly set to 4/3 on the tach. Granted it was making 18 psi but the avg ignition wasnt any worse and that was on straight 93 octane. Thanks for all the help. Attached is the third pull.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M5_R1_200914_235613.csv (10.3 KB, 14 views)
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-15-2020, 10:02 AM

Hey,

This doesn’t look bad

It felt faster because you were at 18 psi, this is more 14-15.

Ave_ign is trending down, that should keep going down.

FOL- bump that to 70 or 80

Relog & we can likely jump up a bit

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 09-15-2020, 05:11 PM

Ok good. I will bump the fol up and relog. How long does it take for the avg ignition to correct? Is this something will take 20 or 30 hard pulls? Is there any prerequisites that need to be met to get that to correct? Example...does it have to be during the long 3rd gear runs or will it correct just driving semi civilized my options are limited as to where I can make a 30 to 95mph run.
(#10)
Old

Default 09-16-2020, 11:14 AM

I bumped fol to 80 and made a pull. Trims were still up near 50 so I bumped it to 90. This is a 2000 to 6000 pull. It seems the avg ignition is dropping a tenth or 2 each time I make a hard pull on it. Where do you think I should go from here? Is there a better map to be in than 5. I really dont want to have to make 30 pulls to get it back were it was if I change the maps. As I understand it map 5 reverts back to 93 octane if switched. Would 6 and just using manual boost limits the same as 5 a better option? Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M5_R1_200916_010517.csv (9.6 KB, 15 views)
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Map 5 is auto adjusting and isn’t as consistent as some of the predefined maps.

You could try map 1 or 2

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 09-18-2020, 12:30 PM

Dave, This log is on map 2. Looks like cyl 4 is having issues above 4800 and trims are pretty high. Let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_200918_004801.csv (10.3 KB, 14 views)
(#13)
Old

Default 09-21-2020, 03:23 PM

Bump
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-22-2020, 01:51 PM

Whats the ethanol mix?

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 09-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Whats the ethanol mix?
35%
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceI
35%
Let's bump up to e40 and relog

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 09-30-2020, 10:17 PM

E40 looks better to me but trims are still high. Let me know what you think. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_200930_234751.csv (11.4 KB, 12 views)
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-03-2020, 06:08 AM

Hi trims do look a bit high to me as well, nearly maxing.

Are you still on the pump flash? If yes, try switching to the race flash with the e40, lets see if that helps the trims & if timing can hold we should be $$$$

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 10-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Ok, this was on e40 with race bef. Timing looks better than it was on pump flash and total timing was dropping lower than it ever has been. Its still maxing the trims in the lower rpms as boost comes up. What do you think?
I added a second log from later tonight. Avg. Ign is getting better with every hit. There is a few strange drops in hpf. On the second log it is accompanied by a partial throttle close but the first log it occurs right before the shift. Not sure what that's all about. The afr stays in check while this is happening. Any ideas on that?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_201005_134404.csv (11.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_201006_000359.csv (11.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by VinceI; 10-05-2020 at 09:45 PM..