N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2012 e92 335is 6MT
Default N54T Random Misfire - No Codes - 09-20-2020, 10:34 AM

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker here; I have spent most of my time over on e90post. I am trying to ID a misfire on my 2012 335is (e92, 6MT, 75k). The car has been well maintained and just now finally saw the JB4 moved over from my 07 335i.

I started having some heavy missing during cold starts, with very noticeable misfires at lighter throttle for the first 5-10 minutes the engine was running. It was time for plugs/coils so I replaced them and noticed that #6 plug was soaked with fuel. Since I'm still under warranty for the injectors I took it into the dealer hoping they would do all six, but they just did bank 2, so now the car has index 9's in bank1 and 12s in bank2. The dealer said they checked for coaking on the intake and found none (not sure thats correct)

Now the cold start issue is mostly gone, but the car is still misfiring when cold but throwing no codes. I've attached a log from startup (map 0) until the car was roughly warmed up which hopefully captured the several misfires that happened. Since the plugs/coils are new and bank2 has new index 12 injectors, the only culprit could be the injectors on bank1 or intake coaking.

If anyone has a moment and knows what to look for, I would appreciate your time. I'd love to get it back in to have bank1 injectors done, but without the DME throwing a code or fouling plugs I don't think they'll be able to do anything. Thank you in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200918_0836v1.csv (481.5 KB, 11 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-22-2020, 01:40 PM

HPFP may be a bit tired. depending on mileage.

Let the car sit overnight, and pull the plugs on bank 1- see if any are getting wet with fuel too.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2012 e92 335is 6MT
Default 09-27-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
HPFP may be a bit tired. depending on mileage.

Let the car sit overnight, and pull the plugs on bank 1- see if any are getting wet with fuel too.
Sorry for the delay, homschooling and work take a tool these days.

I checked the plugs again and am not noticing anything awry. I tried entering the correct value (7 for INAOS since its a 335is) into the JB4 to enable 6 cyl timing for the logs but that doesn't seem to do anything. I tried the value 4 for I8AOS and that seemed to log values for everything but cyl #3. The values displayed were all over the place. Am I missing something in the setup? I attached a screenshot of my setup below if it helps. Thank again.
Attached Images

2012 e92 335is 6MT

Last edited by apgambino; 09-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Hey,

what does MHD say your DME is?

See, and enter that value.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.