N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default first log after install my JB4 - 08-30-2020, 10:13 AM

I installed 2 step colder spark plugs and installed the JB4.

I got kicked out of map 1 to map 4 so I didn't push it anymore.

It happened 3900 rpms. It was about 82 degrees outside.

First log, no idea of what happened to bump from map 4 to map 1.

I forgot to see if it kicked any codes. I also forgot to stop the logging so it is very long...

Sunoco 93 octane only.

Any ideas?

2009 135i
JB4, failed first attempt at installing of charge pipe...
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200829_1834.csv (86.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Mustoke; 08-30-2020 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: forgot to say what car.
(#2)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 08-30-2020, 01:21 PM

safety for lean (2). both trims maxed right away (50) and both afr went very lean (16-18) then the switch to map 4 safety. boost was on target until safety. likely fuel related. fuel pressures seemed ok so you may need a pump back end flash. enable 6 cyl timing. log in 3rd gear, traction control inactive, 2000 rpm to redline. and post again. the jb4 can be set to auto log under wide open throttle so you don't have to stop and start the log. map 5 (auto tune) can be useful as you and the car get used to the tune and logs. keep trying and post back here for help and questions. we've all been where you are. the power is there. wait till you add ethanol...woooo!

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP

Last edited by dmckmc; 08-30-2020 at 01:44 PM..
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 08-31-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustoke
I installed 2 step colder spark plugs and installed the JB4.

I got kicked out of map 1 to map 4 so I didn't push it anymore.

It happened 3900 rpms. It was about 82 degrees outside.

First log, no idea of what happened to bump from map 4 to map 1.

I forgot to see if it kicked any codes. I also forgot to stop the logging so it is very long...

Sunoco 93 octane only.

Any ideas?

2009 135i
JB4, failed first attempt at installing of charge pipe...
Hey,

First, welcome.

A couple things can help clear this up.

1) Update your JB4 firmware
2) FOL- set that to 90 & enable 6 cyl timing under your user adjustments tab
3) Do you have a means to flash our BEF? That will really help w. fuel trims, afr etc.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 09-01-2020, 06:49 AM

Dave,
I ordered the JB4 last week and it came with 32/12//2. It looks like 32_14 is out now. I will update that today. I changed FOL to 90. And I enabled the 6 cylinder timing at the same time.

Costco has Samsung products on sale so I am buying a Galaxy Tab A 8" today and ordering a K-Dcan cable after I see what the cable plug options are on the tablet for the back end flash.

I ordered a MHD flasher when I ordered the JB4 so I can do the back end flash when the cable comes in.

I found E85 but it is kind of far so I bought two 30 gallon barrels so I don't have to drive 37 miles (each way) to put 4+- gallons in the tank each time.

I will do some logs when I get all that finished.

From what I have read I should be using map 5 for the E85.

Thanks for the help!
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-01-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Dave,
I ordered the JB4 last week and it came with 32/12//2. It looks like 32_14 is out now. I will update that today. I changed FOL to 90. And I enabled the 6 cylinder timing at the same time.

Costco has Samsung products on sale so I am buying a Galaxy Tab A 8" today and ordering a K-Dcan cable after I see what the cable plug options are on the tablet for the back end flash.

I ordered a MHD flasher when I ordered the JB4 so I can do the back end flash when the cable comes in.

I found E85 but it is kind of far so I bought two 30 gallon barrels so I don't have to drive 37 miles (each way) to put 4+- gallons in the tank each time.

I will do some logs when I get all that finished.

From what I have read I should be using map 5 for the E85.

Thanks for the help!
It depends on how much e85.

E30-40 try the pump flash any more switch to the e85 flash.

Sounds like you got a solid handle on things

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-02-2020, 07:28 PM

I didn’t have time to do the backend flash today.
I switched FOL to 90 and tried a wot to if anything changed.
It didn’t.
The log showed it went super lean at 3993 rpm again and kicked to map 4. Maxed out trim1 and trim2. Got to AFR 18 on both banks.

I will do the backend pump flash Friday. I hope that changes something.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-03-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I didn’t have time to do the backend flash today.
I switched FOL to 90 and tried a wot to if anything changed.
It didn’t.
The log showed it went super lean at 3993 rpm again and kicked to map 4. Maxed out trim1 and trim2. Got to AFR 18 on both banks.

I will do the backend pump flash Friday. I hope that changes something.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 09-04-2020, 01:47 PM

I couldn’t pair the MHD flasher. WTF.

It looks like the tablet found it, or didn’t find the MHD flasher and saw something else, but wouldn’t pair. It didn’t say MHD flasher.

“Couldn’t Pair”.

My iPhone never even saw it.

With my luck, in this process, the flasher is defective.
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-04-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I couldn’t pair the MHD flasher. WTF.

It looks like the tablet found it, or didn’t find the MHD flasher and saw something else, but wouldn’t pair. It didn’t say MHD flasher.

“Couldn’t Pair”.

My iPhone never even saw it.

With my luck, in this process, the flasher is defective.
Do you have a dcan / otg? Can always do it “old school”

Reach out to mhd & let them know you are having issues.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 09-05-2020, 06:36 AM

I finally figured out the flasher uses WiFi not Bluetooth.
I got it connected and tried the back end flash.
It connected, the wipers ran for 1 minute, wipers stopped, then it said flash failed.
I tried IJEOS PUMP USA.

Still stuck.

2009 135i Auto
JB4
BMS back end flash
E30
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I finally figured out the flasher uses WiFi not Bluetooth.
I got it connected and tried the back end flash.
It connected, the wipers ran for 1 minute, wipers stopped, then it said flash failed.
I tried IJEOS PUMP USA.

Still stuck.
Sounds like battery voltage dropped too low.

Do you have a charger you can hook up?

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 09-05-2020, 12:36 PM

I put it on a trickle charger all night beforehand and left that on.
I will put it on a larger charger tomorrow and see if that works.

2009 135i Auto
JB4
BMS back end flash
E30
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I put it on a trickle charger all night beforehand and left that on.
I will put it on a larger charger tomorrow and see if that works.
Keep me posted

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default Backend flash - 09-11-2020, 08:28 PM

Turns out my battery is original, and weak.

I charged it all the way up and tried the back end flash again. Of course all the lights came on during the flash. Nothing would turn them off.
Luckily the flash worked and the car started!

I drove it for about half an hour before I tried a WOT run.

I used map 5 and didn’t kicked to map 4. Progress!

I checked the log and the AFR started high and ended about 12.0 at 6400.

I did a couple of runs to let map 5 adapt.

A world of difference the flash made. I will post some logs tomorrow.

2009 135i Auto
JB4
BMS back end flash
E30
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-12-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Turns out my battery is original, and weak.

I charged it all the way up and tried the back end flash again. Of course all the lights came on during the flash. Nothing would turn them off.
Luckily the flash worked and the car started!

I drove it for about half an hour before I tried a WOT run.

I used map 5 and didn’t kicked to map 4. Progress!

I checked the log and the AFR started high and ended about 12.0 at 6400.

I did a couple of runs to let map 5 adapt.

A world of difference the flash made. I will post some logs tomorrow.
Glad you were able to get the flash to work

These cars are getting up there in age, where OEM parts are now probably on their last legs.

I'll keep an eye out for your logs this weekend.

Burger Motorsports