N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E60
Default BOV or DV - 07-30-2019, 11:36 AM

Trying to decide on what to get when I order my CP. Been back and forth between going the BOV way, or keeping the stock DV type setup. Every time I think I'm going one way, i go back to the other...or find something else.

Plans for the car right now is to get to 500. Not looking at switching turbos, or going much beyond the MHD Stage 2+ 18psi (once everything else in place).

I have an e60 535i AT, which doesn't seem to get much love .

Right now, considering :

BOV - TiAL 50mm or TiAL Q

DV - TurboSmart Plumb Back, Forge Motorsports DV

Combo(?) - Turbosmart Dual Port - only worry is the "tuning" of the spring. Seems a bit unscientific of just turning until it doesn't stall...

Right now, I'm leaning towards the TiAL (either version, BOV). Although not a fan of the noise, seems to be "simpler" to install/maintain, since it sits right in the front of the engine bay.

This is a autobahn cruiser, so the noise in the cabin is much reduced from the E8x/E9x. It's also too hot down here in Florida to be running around with the windows down. I'm trying to keep the sleeper look/sound...

Any suggestions/ideas/comments to sway one way or the other?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

2008 E60 535i AT
Upgrades - MHD Stage 1, xHP Stage 3
Path to 500 - CP/BOV, DCI, JB4, Stage 2 LPFP, MHD Stage 2+, Inlets, Outlets, FMIC, Down tubes
(can't use d followed by p or the actual p word...lol)
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 E90 335i
Default 07-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Go with the Tial.

08 E90 335i
MONTEGO BLUE
JB4/MHD E85 BEF
BMS DCI
BMS OCC
BMS COWL FILTERS
VRSF ⬇️ Ps
MMP CHARGEPIPE
TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC
BMS PEDAL TUNER
BMS PCV VALVE
NGK 97506 @ .022
3.5 BAR TMAP
STAGE 2 LPFP
H&R SPRINGS
19' 666m WHEELS
(#3)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-31-2019, 08:08 AM

BOV is cheaper and simpler, but I prefer the sound and re-circulation of the DVs. BOV sound would be out of place on a 5'er IMO. Also with the BOV you might spray oil out of it due to the PCV systems in these cars.

The stock DVs in good condition can hold 18-20, but you can't go wrong with Forge. They do require maintenance though, and you need the right spring for your boost maximum.
(#4)
Old

Car: 08' 335i
Default 08-02-2019, 12:55 PM

PPPPFFFFFFSSSSHHHT
(#5)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 08-02-2019, 03:19 PM

I have an E60 with and ER charge pipe and Forge DV's - plumbed back to the intake. I am very satisfied with the result. I believe I used the green springs.
In addition, I've installed the Dual Cone Intakes (DCI) so the sound of the blow off back to the intake is quite noticeable but more subtle than venting to atmosphere. Some considerations with the E60 on fitment: The solutions you see for 3 series don't all work for the 535i, the power steering fluid reservoir is right in the way on ours. Also, I was unable to make use of the included hoses that came with the Forge DV's. I had to customize a solution to plumb the hose to the intake. Also, the DCI's take up space right where a BOV may be on a particular charge pipe so look closely where the adapter is located.

N54
FBO
JB4
BEF-E85
E40
PCV-EXT
XHP

Last edited by dmckmc; 08-02-2019 at 03:25 PM..