N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335 (E90)
Default Intermittent Cruise Control - 06-19-2019, 09:20 AM

Hey all,

Hoping someone else may have had a similar issue... About 9 months to a year ago I noticed that every once in a while my cruise control would not set, which was annoying; however, the issue would go away the next time I got up to speed and tried again. At the time I had no idea as to why, but did a little research and found out that the clutch switch was the likely culprit and so learned that if it wouldn't set then I could depress the clutch and reengage and it would usually work.

Over time it seemed to happen more often so I figured the switch must be on the way out (11 years old) so bought a new one. I installed the new one two weekends ago, which was a mild pain in the ass due to the need to do a little bit of contortion to gain the right access (42 year old guy here). After finally getting the connector to release and reinstalling the new switch it appeared to work just fine when I tested it. But lo and behold the issue has come back, and I'll be damned if I don't think it's worse, with the trusty disengage and reengage not consistently working to set the cruise.

So... I guess my question is, is there something about the physical placement of the switch itself (it slots into a very specific spot on the clutch pedal/cylinder) that might cause the issue, or potentially in the wiring of the JB4 that I've monkeyed with installing and deinstalling the ** fix that may be the issue?

Any pointers or explanation of how the thing works would be appreciated... Thanks!

'07 335 sedan, Stage 2 VVT, VVT inlets/outlets, VVT DCI, Phoenix CP with Tial BV, 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, Spec twin disk clutch with SMF, BMS OCC, RB PCV valve, ***less ***, VRSF catback with Vibrant *** installed, ETS 5" intercooler, Fuel-It stage 2 fuel pump, Fuel-It 650HP LPFP upgrade with 525 pump, JB4 with custom Trebila BEF, Phoenix PI intake manifold /w 550cc injectors, Fuel-it fuel lines, ethanol sensor and analyzer
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 06-19-2019, 10:27 AM

I've heard of the cruise not working if you have a generic BEF instead of one based on your stock BIN. I had to copy the tables in for my car. But that particular issue seemed to mainly affect 135's and was an all or nothing problem, not an intermittent one.

I also think cruise won't engage of you have any DTC/ESC mode turned on other than default. Would have to check.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335 (E90)
Default 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I know that it won't kick in if DTC/DSC have been toggled, and known that's not the issue. I'm wondering if it's some sort of mechanical issue with the parts that would otherwise make the switch engage/disengage due to their age/wear, or if it's an electrical gremlin...

'07 335 sedan, Stage 2 VVT, VVT inlets/outlets, VVT DCI, Phoenix CP with Tial BV, 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, Spec twin disk clutch with SMF, BMS OCC, RB PCV valve, ***less ***, VRSF catback with Vibrant *** installed, ETS 5" intercooler, Fuel-It stage 2 fuel pump, Fuel-It 650HP LPFP upgrade with 525 pump, JB4 with custom Trebila BEF, Phoenix PI intake manifold /w 550cc injectors, Fuel-it fuel lines, ethanol sensor and analyzer