N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe
Default EWG harness install - 06-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Who has installed there EWG harness and how long did it take? I just got mine over the weekend, super fast shipment and it looks great! I was quoted $225.00 to install it at a time of over2 hours. Sounds a little crazy to me, the tuner only took 30 minutes to install. Does it really take that long for the install?

Thanks!
(#2)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM

That's ridiculous. Depending how small your hands are it's a 15-30 min install.

2008 Jet Black E92 N54, JB4, FBO, Meth
2011 LeMans Blue E92 N55, JB4, ********
2014 Estroil Blue F30 N55, JB4
2018 Mineral Grey F80 M3 - JB4, *********, BMS Intake
ON DECK: 2020 X3 M Competition
(#3)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Kind of what I figured. Sounded a bit sketchy.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport
Default 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM

I was quoted $65 by a very reputable SoCal shop. Definitely go somewhere else.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Do you feel a real difference, the jb4 alone on my car feels almost the same as stock.Barely notice any difference in power.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport
Default 06-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335coupe
Do you feel a real difference, the jb4 alone on my car feels almost the same as stock.Barely notice any difference in power.
This was my progression:

- Stock + JB4 map1
- Intake/dp + JB4 map2
- Intake/dp + JB4 map5
- Intake/dp/catback + JB4 map5

I felt a difference with each upgrade. Dyno'd stock vs. bolt-ons vs. bolt-ons + JB4 and it showed a significant increase in HP/TQ. I'm getting the FF and EWG wires installed Thurs and will have dyno runs pre and post install.

I'm running 91 octane.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM

If boost is below target the EWG will definitely get it back up to where we intended it to be!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 09:31 AM

awesome! I am not doing any other mods, is the EWG still going to be affective? Also on these new F30/32 can you run Map 2 on 93 octane without ***?

Thanks
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-30-2014, 09:32 AM

The EWG is BETA/experimental and we'll see how customer feedback is without mods, etc. It's too early to really tell.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The EWG is BETA/experimental and we'll see how customer feedback is without mods, etc. It's too early to really tell.
Gotcha. Well from everything I hear, it's amazing!
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM

The only thing left is to fix the startup code that shows up in some cars when starting without turning on ignition first.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 06-30-2014, 01:03 PM

It took me 15 minutes to do it in my garage - its really not hard at all.

2015 Alpine White M4
(#13)
Old

Car: '14 335i EBII MSport
Default 06-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Its an extremely simple install. The most difficult part was trying for 15-20 minutes to get the original clip undone. It is extremely tight quarters, so maneuvering your hand in there to get the clip off is pretty hard and I have a few bruises on my arm to prove it The rest of the install is easy peasy.

With that said, It is ENTIRELY worth it. It's night and day difference versus NOT having it. The car feels MUCH stronger and smoother with the harness. Terry and the guys really did a great job here.
(#14)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 01:56 PM

I got a 1.5' screwdriver and just leveraged it against a coolant hose to press against the clip and pulled it out. It should take a few minutes to do that assuming you are able to pull on the plug and press the clip at the same time.

2015 Alpine White M4
(#15)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM

How did everyone route their wires? I would think they would get pretty hot right there.
(#16)
Old

Car: E92 M3, F32 435Ms
Default 06-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abear
How did everyone route their wires? I would think they would get pretty hot right there.
The other wires are just hanging out there as well and they seem ok. I wouldn't sweat it.

BMS JB4, Intake, FF and EWG harness, M Performance Exhaust, ER coated DP/CP, and a barrel of 104 octane
(#17)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 03:09 PM

I covered it up with the same material you'd find on the JB4 wires for peace of mind.

2015 Alpine White M4
(#18)
Old

Car: E92 M3, F32 435Ms
Default 06-30-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM
I covered it up with the same material you'd find on the JB4 wires for peace of mind.
As did I, even though I doubt it really makes a difference. Looks nicer though

BMS JB4, Intake, FF and EWG harness, M Performance Exhaust, ER coated DP/CP, and a barrel of 104 octane
(#19)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 03:13 PM

Yup, looks more stealth :D.

2015 Alpine White M4
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM

Just make sure they are not testing on anything too hot but should be fine. We'll be evaluating that as well.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: M135i
Default 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Took me 5 Mins total and 15 mins to heat wrap the wires for extra insulation and neatness. Is it worth it ..... you bet !!

M135I ER Down-pipe & charge pipe ,Milltek full system,Wagner Performance Intercooler AFE Stage 2 Intake Pure stage 1 Turbo & Quaife LSD
(#22)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Just ordered my JB4 with EWG/FF wires and will have my dp installed all at the same time at FFTEC.

Terry/BMS, what are all the parameters that need to be changed/set up initially with a laptop to get everything good to go? Also, with just an aFe intake, JB4/EWG/FF, ER dp, I will use 91 octane nearly all the time, with the occasional 100-octane mixed in (maybe once a month or every other month just for kicks). I'm looking for a more set-it-and-forget-it setup, so should I run Map 5 and let it just do its thing? Or would Map 1 be the way to go?
(#23)
Old

Car: BMW M135i N55
Default 07-02-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddy74
Took me 5 Mins total and 15 mins to heat wrap the wires for extra insulation and neatness. Is it worth it ..... you bet !!
Can I ask what extra insulation you guys have used? Any pics of the installed harness on N55 (M135i preferable) Thanks

Any issues with putting the 2 pins into existing JB4 connector?
(#24)
Old

Default 07-02-2014, 05:43 AM

Same looks good and does the job. My EWG harness is ticking all the boxes for me thus far !! No issues to report apart from upping my failsafe to 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM

M135I ER Down-pipe & charge pipe ,Milltek full system,Wagner Performance Intercooler AFE Stage 2 Intake Pure stage 1 Turbo & Quaife LSD
(#25)
Old

Default 07-02-2014, 05:46 AM

i posted a photo a few pages ago if that helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs
Can I ask what extra insulation you guys have used? Any pics of the installed harness on N55 (M135i preferable) Thanks

Any issues with putting the 2 pins into existing JB4 connector?