N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#201)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 02-11-2019, 08:02 AM

So far so good...with the BCM it's pushing a little more boost than it did before on map3. I need to do more testing since I haven't driven the car in a month.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX

Last edited by tegxsi; 02-11-2019 at 08:11 AM..
(#202)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk
I've been emailing George about this already, but just to see if there is any consensus from the masses - I'm having an issue where the JB4+BCM (no flash) will give plenty of boost and act accordingly (regardless of map) and then 10 minutes later, simply give nothing at all (and by nothing, I mean it will simply not generate boost) - It's as if the car has been tossed into map 8, however when I check via my phone it's map 0-3. This has happened from a set gear at a dig from low RPM, as well as from a stand-still launch.

Anybody else? or just me?
George was able to recreate it a couple times on our RS3, I haven't been able to yet on our TTRS. But we'll keep poking around. I'm sure we'll find it sooner or later.

Does boost come back after you let off the gas and cruise for a min, or do you need to restart car first?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#203)
Old

Car: Audi RS3
Default 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
George was able to recreate it a couple times on our RS3, I haven't been able to yet on our TTRS. But we'll keep poking around. I'm sure we'll find it sooner or later.

Does boost come back after you let off the gas and cruise for a min, or do you need to restart car first?
It *slowly* comes back - If I'm already up and cruising, and I lay into it from a low RPM and can stay on it (say, 5th from 2,000rpm), it will come back by the time I get to 6th and then life is consistent for quite some time.

The last time it happened, on Friday, I pulled out of a parking lot and had tons of boost, got to a stop light, had literally nothing (torque meter topped out at 49% up through 70mph or so). The next light, everything started returning to normal (it was as though I had just switched maps and was taking a few pulls to 'remember' how to add boost), and by the third pull life was good again.

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.
Tow-Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 4x4 + Hemi

Past:
2000 3.8L Mustang - All bolt ons, 8.8 rear conversion
2007 Honda Accord - I had a moment of “sensible-ness”
2011 BMW 335D - Custom intake, JBD
2014 Audi S4 - Intake, Chipwerke, Couple of VCDS mods
(#204)
Old

Car: F06 N55 640i Gran Coupe
Default 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM

I think is norm, happened to me too. Before & after tuned, before & after Hybrid turbo. I think maybe WG related, usually started on low rpm while deciding to build boost or don’t. I hv since gave up on chasing the issue by just dropping down a gear & move on again.

Good if George or Terry can find out the root of it

2014/2009 M4/335 COUPE
FULL CF Add On All around, Gloss/Matt Custom Wrap
JB4 Stack On BM3/MHD ECU tune, Upgraded S2 Turbo
Custom Cold Air, Dual nozzle charge pipe
SSP 900 Clutch kit, Custom Spoiler
AndyTuning Custom Map 6
SS DP n FULL Custom Exhaust
Custom BC forge 18/17 set up
Brembo Gt 380mm F&R/ 355mm F&R
(#205)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym3100k
I think is norm, happened to me too. Before & after tuned, before & after Hybrid turbo. I think maybe WG related, usually started on low rpm while deciding to build boost or don’t. I hv since gave up on chasing the issue by just dropping down a gear & move on again.

Good if George or Terry can find out the root of it
Mine never did it stock, and downshifting doesn’t give boost when this occurs. I can run the car to redline in 1-3rd and have a no-boost condition.

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.

Past:
(#206)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Which flash are you on?

2014/2009 M4/335 COUPE
AndyTuning Custom Map 6
(#207)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym3100k
Which flash are you on?
JB4 only. I’ve reproduced on maps 0, 2, and 3. Without the BCM this happens every other time. The BCM makes it so that it’s only every 10th or 15th time.

Past:
(#208)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Interesting so it must be boost vs. boost target related. I'll see if that helps narrow it down.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#209)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting so it must be boost vs. boost target related. I'll see if that helps narrow it down.
Thanks!

George has logs from both before the BCM and after the BCM. I know he's working on it and sees the issue - might just be a bit of tinkering before we get a fix for it.

Past:
(#210)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-11-2019, 12:16 PM

Since you can recreate it easily, another good test would be to see if you can recreate it on map8 (VALET MAP) which should be less boost than stock.

Burger Motorsports

(#211)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Since you can recreate it easily, another good test would be to see if you can recreate it on map8 (VALET MAP) which should be less boost than stock.
ooooh - I'll drive around on map 8 for the day tomorrow and see what happens.

Good thought!

I guess the weird one to me is that it will do it on map 0, which is where the JB4/BCM should be completely out of the way...

Past:
(#212)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I've been emailing George about this already, but just to see if there is any consensus from the masses - I'm having an issue where the JB4+BCM (no flash) will give plenty of boost and act accordingly (regardless of map) and then 10 minutes later, simply give nothing at all (and by nothing, I mean it will simply not generate boost) - It's as if the car has been tossed into map 8, however when I check via my phone it's map 0-3. This has happened from a set gear at a dig from low RPM, as well as from a stand-still launch.

Anybody else? or just me?
Not just you, I've also noticed this in my RS3, I occasionally get it now and then, can't replicate it like you though so well done. I'm not flashed either, just running JB4, and IC. I've also seen this behaviour on map 4 and lower maps without the BCM, even map 0.

By the way, when this happens just roll off the gas completely for a couple of seconds, drop a couple of gears and boost will come back. What I did notice it's normally when I'm just crusing in 5th gear and give WOT and there's nothing there. Anyway I know Terry and George are looking into for us but I wanted to assure you weren't the only one I'm loving the BCM, great bit of kit, the power increase is night and day now compared to stock.

Last edited by russ86; 02-11-2019 at 01:34 PM..
(#213)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_T_Boss
Hi George

I did indeed. What issues have you come across with Methanol and DI? Added neat to the tank or as part of a blend? It's a much lesser used alcohol so I value any experience with it.

Pump fuel in EU commonly contains 2-3% Methanol (with 3-4% Ethanol acting as a co-solvent) to mitigate phase separation concern, there is no requirement for corrosion inhibitors. Elsewhere in the world 5-15% is become more prevalent (only with inhibitor additives), above that needs more consideration.

I could stick with Ethanol but there's significant cost and supply advantages to using Methanol here, hence pursuing it, even if it's only 20-30% of the additive. I've so far only used 3% Methanol, I am trying to source a proper corrosion inhibitor before considering >5%.
The issue is the methanol has got a large oil content so large portions is advised. Also if you consider the stoichiometric point of the methanol with large mixtures you will need to enrich the car more than the typical targets.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2021 VW Golf 8 R
(#214)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ86
Not just you, I've also noticed this in my RS3, I occasionally get it now and then, can't replicate it like you though so well done. I'm not flashed either, just running JB4, and IC. I've also seen this behaviour on map 4 and lower maps without the BCM, even map 0.

By the way, when this happens just roll off the gas completely for a couple of seconds, drop a couple of gears and boost will come back. What I did notice it's normally when I'm just crusing in 5th gear and give WOT and there's nothing there. Anyway I know Terry and George are looking into for us but I wanted to assure you weren't the only one I'm loving the BCM, great bit of kit, the power increase is night and day now compared to stock.
Its worth doing some research on this. I can recall stock complaints of similar though on one of the Facebook pages. I will make a post and see responses.
Also out of interest is it only in M and D?

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2021 VW Golf 8 R
(#215)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Its worth doing some research on this. I can recall stock complaints of similar though on one of the Facebook pages. I will make a post and see responses.
Also out of interest is it only in M and D?
I've never experienced this without the JB4 installed - As for the M and D - I assume so, as I don't ever drive in S (but I can give it a shot...)

Past:
(#216)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I've never experienced this without the JB4 installed - As for the M and D - I assume so, as I don't ever drive in S (but I can give it a shot...)
Correct, in stock configuration I didn't have that problem either. I always drive in Manual, nothing else lol
(#217)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 07:21 PM

Reproduced in map 8. And then map 0. And then maps 1,2,3. And then 8 again. After a cold restart all was great for the drive back to the house.

Past:
(#218)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Reproduced in map 8. And then map 0. And then maps 1,2,3. And then 8 again. After a cold restart all was great for the drive back to the house.
Strange that you trigger is so easily, makes me wonder if it's hardware related on your end? Maybe we can swap the control board out for you just to rule it out.

Burger Motorsports

(#219)
Old

Default 02-12-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Strange that you trigger is so easily, makes me wonder if it's hardware related on your end? Maybe we can swap the control board out for you just to rule it out.
let me know - I shot you an email with my logs from last night so you can respond to that if that's something you'd like to do.

FWIW, I had this issue *even worse* with the BCM not installed, so it very well could have been the control board.

Past:
(#220)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
let me know - I shot you an email with my logs from last night so you can respond to that if that's something you'd like to do.

FWIW, I had this issue *even worse* with the BCM not installed, so it very well could have been the control board.
George handles point on the support side and will loop me in via email if needed.

Burger Motorsports

(#221)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Was out last night testing a new "absolute target" JB4 map I'm working on, set point around 22psi. Still some work to go on boost targeting around the shifts but early results are very promising. Still 100% stock JB4 only on ~E30.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#222)
Old

Default 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Was out last night testing a new "absolute target" JB4 map I'm working on, set point around 22psi. Still some work to go on boost targeting around the shifts but early results are very promising. Still 100% stock JB4 only on ~E30.
That's.... amazing....

So add an intercooler and it should be able to basically do that all day long?

Past:
(#223)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM

That's the plan! I'll be testing an intake and an intercooler at some point to see what the real gains are with them.

Burger Motorsports

(#224)
Old

Default 02-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Impressive 👍

2014/2009 M4/335 COUPE
AndyTuning Custom Map 6
(#225)
Old
5-chamber Heart

Car: '18 Audi TTRS
Default 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM

That's really impressive! When I got the car I was targeting 11.0s with IC, intake and a map, and 10.8s with ******** and stage 2 map, on pump fuel. Maybe figured an E85 map could get me another .3s off each of those with some Ethanol for fun once in a while. I thought that was pretty ambitious...