N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 2007 K-line Backend Flash - 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Hi would like to get some input from the forum. I'm about to buy a laptop with an amd processor for the Backend flash. Since I have a k-line and will be buying a laptop I'm wondering if I should just buy a used Cobb ap or otf tablet to load the Backend flash? I know that 2007 have issues. So should I buy the laptop,Cobb,or tablet? Than. For your help
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 08-28-2014, 02:55 PM

Ive flashed 3 k lines including my own. Its not that bad. Just get a good 20+ AMP charger and if you need pull the fuel pump fuse . Other than that it just takes longer

I AM BOB!
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default 08-28-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdudeman1988
Ive flashed 3 k lines including my own. Its not that bad. Just get a good 20+ AMP charger and if you need pull the fuel pump fuse . Other than that it just takes longer

This.

I was having a hell of a time with my buddies intel machine, tried my old MBP that has bootcamp'd XP and was having the same issues (this worked for the Alpina flash). I finally managed to get the flash to take with his machine but it was not easy.

I now am able to flash full write in 30 minutes and partial in 10-15. For this to work...

- Buy a new battery, you already have a BT cable so you can register it no problem. Walmart, Everstart, $130.

- Use a charger, a real one, ESPECIALLY if you do not replace your battery. I went and bought a huge floor charger from Lowes for the night. I think it was 40a. That was the only way I could get it to work the first time.

- Buy an AMD laptop, I found this guy selling old ones on eBay for $70 shipped. I added a spare 2gig I had and an extra SSD and boom. Good to go.

- You may or may not see voltage. This seems to be a matter of opinion however I have flashed a few times without voltage displaying and had no problems, so have others.

- TURN OFF THE SLEEP MODE ON YOUR LAPTOP, if you forget this and it occurs during a write... you just bricked your car luckily you are just a force full write away from fixing it.

- PLUG IN YOUR LAPTOP, especially an old one. They can go from 70% to dead in 5 minutes sometimes. As above, if it dies during write, BRICK.

- Your read may take 4-6 hours, sorry. I have not tried another read with the new setup but the first one was painfully slow.

- Pull the FP fuse, even if you have the new batter and charger the sound is annoying

Good luck man!

'07 e90
(#4)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM

Just for comparison sake my core i7 (4 cores 8 threads) laptop can do partial writes in 58seconds and full write in 8 min

Daily: G30 M550i JB4
Winter Beast: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Supercharger, brakes, suspension & exhaust mods
Wifes': F15 M50d clone, DUDMD tune, WMI, MPPK front & 50i rear brakes, M50d grill and trim
Gone: E92 N54 468wtq
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM

Just buy a POS used old laptop ($150-200) that works. Either it will or it wont work well with the flashing software but there is definately no reason to buy the OFT and damn sure don't buy a Cobb just for backend purposes (is this even still supported). If you do that might as well spend $250 on protuning and recoup that selling the piggyback. Once you get a compatible laptop and do the initial full read and first write there is absolutely no issue flashing K-line car. I flash mine all the time with no batter charger (as long as voltage is adequate from driving), takes under 2 minutes every time. My son's laptop works great. MY laptop puts the DME in recovery mode every time and I have to force a write if I want to use it.
(#6)
Old

Default 08-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
This.

I was having a hell of a time with my buddies intel machine, tried my old MBP that has bootcamp'd XP and was having the same issues (this worked for the Alpina flash). I finally managed to get the flash to take with his machine but it was not easy.

I now am able to flash full write in 30 minutes and partial in 10-15. For this to work...

- Buy a new battery, you already have a BT cable so you can register it no problem. Walmart, Everstart, $130.

- Use a charger, a real one, ESPECIALLY if you do not replace your battery. I went and bought a huge floor charger from Lowes for the night. I think it was 40a. That was the only way I could get it to work the first time.

- Buy an AMD laptop, I found this guy selling old ones on eBay for $70 shipped. I added a spare 2gig I had and an extra SSD and boom. Good to go.

- You may or may not see voltage. This seems to be a matter of opinion however I have flashed a few times without voltage displaying and had no problems, so have others.

- TURN OFF THE SLEEP MODE ON YOUR LAPTOP, if you forget this and it occurs during a write... you just bricked your car luckily you are just a force full write away from fixing it.

- PLUG IN YOUR LAPTOP, especially an old one. They can go from 70% to dead in 5 minutes sometimes. As above, if it dies during write, BRICK.

- Your read may take 4-6 hours, sorry. I have not tried another read with the new setup but the first one was painfully slow.

- Pull the FP fuse, even if you have the new batter and charger the sound is annoying

Good luck man!
I guess I'll buy the laptop That's why I love this place, people are always willing to take the time to help
(#7)
Old

Default 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydna15
I guess I'll buy the laptop That's why I love this place, people are always willing to take the time to help
Trust me, I have been there, sitting in my bricked car sweating my ass off trying to get the flash to write.

By all means not the only way, I am pretty sure I could write the car without a charger now that I have a new battery but I rather just be safe. The above setup now works for me without issue, I am sure you could tweak things and it would still work.

'07 e90
(#8)
Old

Default 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM

I have an asus with a dual core intel running windows 7 64 takes 260 minutes to read a k line. 17 min for a full write. Works well put it in high performace mode and leave it pluged in. Never failed me for the 7 people i flashed

I AM BOB!
(#9)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 08-28-2014, 09:12 PM

Running an Asus EEE PC that I got for 80$ with an Intel Atom and 1GB of ram on XP does a K-Line full write in just under 18 minutes. A friend with a newer more powerful laptop had issues where it wouldn't even read but mine has been great for several K-lines.

I always use a 15A Charger for flashes regardless of K-line or D-Can, just to be safe.
threethirtyfive mentioned several great points; Especially DISABLE SLEEP MODE AND HIBERNATION!
(#10)
Old

Default 08-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Most cases putting it in high performace mode diaables it. I got winkfp to unbrick if it happens too. Look into that setup as well

I AM BOB!
(#11)
Old

Default 08-28-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdudeman1988
Most cases putting it in high performace mode diaables it. I got winkfp to unbrick if it happens too. Look into that setup as well
Ill look into that for sure, thanx for the help I'm getting more confidence with every post!
(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 E92
Default 08-28-2014, 10:35 PM

You could always spend $1k and get a surface pro.

Mine works flawlessly for my kline which is awesome cause its an i5, ssd, usb3 etc, all the latest hardware.
(#13)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 08-29-2014, 12:01 AM

As others have mentioned, a battery charger is your friend. I use a 40A on all the vehicles I flash. Computers will vary. I use Macbooks with VMware using Windows7 64bit. I run the BB software in Windows XP Sp2 mode as administrator. No issues.

335is DCT
(#14)
Old

Default 08-29-2014, 12:38 PM

Good to get all the input from everyone, I would love to use a faster machine or my new MBP but honestly I just glad this is stable and works. The processor is a little slow though, haha.

'07 e90
(#15)
Old

Default 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM

So flashing back to stock doesn't take as long as the read?
(#16)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E92
Default 08-29-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
So flashing back to stock doesn't take as long as the read?
Should only take 10-15 for full write and 2-3 for partial for flashing any bin stock or BMS canned. The read is the only thing that takes a while.
(#17)
Old

Default 08-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Cool!! already ordered the battery charger and going to try Monday.
(#18)
Old

Default 09-05-2014, 10:42 PM

Ok so I just tried flashing the car read went fine. But have not been able to write the file. I have a battery charger on it but it keeps saying "unable to erase memory". What should I try now ? Oh and how would I force write my original file?
(#19)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 09-05-2014, 10:55 PM

Make sure you try both versions of the software. I flashed a KLine tonight and for the first time in a while the BB version didn't work. Switched over to the BMS version and it worked fine.

As far as force write, read this
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...postcount=2159

335is DCT
(#20)
Old

Default 09-05-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Ok so I just tried flashing the car read went fine. But have not been able to write the file. I have a battery charger on it but it keeps saying "unable to erase memory". What should I try now ? Oh and how would I force write my original file?
What's your voltage at? You may need to let it sit and charge for a little while. Did you pull the pump fuse? I always let it charge before I do any flashing. I make sure that the voltage on the charger is above 12.5. Once I'm ready to flash, hit the ID ECU button and see if the voltage pops up. If it doesn't, then you may have to hit that button again or wait longer. I sometimes have to close the bb flash app, reopen and hit ID ECU again so that the voltage shows. This shows that the communication is good and will normally indicate that the flash should write properly. Kline is very touchy with voltage and will shut communication to the ECU if the voltage is not at a certain level.
(#21)
Old

Default 09-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenvn
What's your voltage at? You may need to let it sit and charge for a little while. Did you pull the pump fuse? I always let it charge before I do any flashing. I make sure that the voltage on the charger is above 12.5. Once I'm ready to flash, hit the ID ECU button and see if the voltage pops up. If it doesn't, then you may have to hit that button again or wait longer. I sometimes have to close the bb flash app, reopen and hit ID ECU again so that the voltage shows. This shows that the communication is good and will normally indicate that the flash should write properly. Kline is very touchy with voltage and will shut communication to the ECU if the voltage is not at a certain level.
I got it to work! I waited for the voltage to go up to 14.6 and it started to write. anything lower would give me an error. Thanx for the help
(#22)
Old

Default 09-06-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I got it to work! I waited for the voltage to go up to 14.6 and it started to write. anything lower would give me an error. Thanx for the help
Awesome, glad you got it working. Let us know how you like the backend flash compared to stock.
(#23)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 09-06-2014, 09:43 AM

This is what I bought to solve my chronic "ECU Authentication Errors"...
Old ACER Laptop w/AMD Processor and Windows Vista. $100
Flashes flawlessly everytime even without pulling fuses or turning off halos.
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 09-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Wish I could find one..... someone stole mine last month.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#25)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 09-06-2014, 11:17 AM

That sucks. One thing I hate more than a liar is a thief. I found mine on Amazon. I got lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS
Wish I could find one..... someone stole mine last month.