N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default F30 EWG AFR Control - 08-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Hey guys,

Been poking around on AFR control for the F30 electronic wastegate cars and finally made some progress. We can now dial in basically any air/fuel ratio we want. There are only two catches. The first is the richer the air/fuel ratio the more fuel is actually used... Placing an extra strain on the both the fuel pump and fuel trim ceilings. The second catch is the JB4 logs which read off the factory wideband still reflect the OEM air/fuel targets and not the richer targets. The second issue I can fix on the software side rather easily. The first has some implications for those who want to run larger turbos, E85, etc.

I spent a few hours on the dyno working up AFR tables and was fairly pleased with the results. The AFR altering effect is shown as "fuel enrichment" in these JB4 logs. The higher the number the most of an alteration the JB4 is making to the ratio.

As expected, enriching the AFR does not really add more power, reduce knock, or smooth out the curves, but it may reduce EGT (more testing required), and gets the F30 EWG tuning closer the general 12.5:1 "comfort zone" we've all been working within for the last few years.

Note I did some runs on map 7 just for the hell of it but without straight race gas picked up some knock. Also note for the map 7 runs I also left the AFR probe in the flapper side of the exhaust so it cut off the reading at low RPM before the flapper opens. Still, an interesting data point...

Lots of additional development to go. Including the best way for customers to implement this new control. Technically it can be done with a single wire and posi-tap (no new connector required) but I'm going to weigh the options as we continue development. I've become a bit disgusted with how cumbersome the F30 wiring harness has become with the various add-on patches so we'll probably be making some changes there soon. Maybe doing a new harness with every possible connector on it to clean it all up. I'll keep you guys apprised of any work on that front as well.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: M135i
Default 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

This is a massive Breakthrough T !! Well done !!

M135I ER Down-pipe & charge pipe ,Milltek full system,Wagner Performance Intercooler AFE Stage 2 Intake Pure stage 1 Turbo & Quaife LSD
(#3)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport
Default 08-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Great work! This will make a lot of people happy. I'm still hoping a free flash utility is released for the early pneumatic cars so I can fix AFRs without buying a Cobb.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch
Great work! This will make a lot of people happy. I'm still hoping a free flash utility is released for the early pneumatic cars so I can fix AFRs without buying a Cobb.
The only way free software will ever come out is if Shiv decides to sell software, and his haters get together again, to develop it.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport
Default 08-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The only way free software will ever come out is if Shiv decides to sell software, and his haters get together again, to develop it.
If that ever happens I want to help.
(#6)
Old

Car: BMW 320i
Default 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Wow, that's awesome Terry!

How could this affect the 320?
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14
Wow, that's awesome Terry!

How could this affect the 320?
We used this method to enrich our 320i test car during development. But it has a lower fuel trim ceiling due to the low factory boost target. Once we went to E85 we determined map 5 on the E40 mix was a good middle ground. I'm sure we'll revisit it at some point though. I've been working on the N20 EWG stuff with a few BETA testers as time permits...

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: M135i
Default 08-23-2014, 04:51 AM

Well done terry....
(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335xi
Default 08-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Ahhhh, awesome! Any luck with such function on n55?
(#10)
Old

Car: 08 135i
Default 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM

12:1 is awful rich for a DI engine

08' 135i - Cobb Custom E70, FBO, suspension stuff.
(OLD) 11 Camaro SS - 10.20@135 naturally aspirated @630rwhp.
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-23-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietcoke
12:1 is awful rich for a DI engine
It's just one of many variables. With the N55 at around 400whp I like the 13.5:1 midrange down to 12.4:1 up top range.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old
N54TECH FTMFW

Car: E92 335i
Default 08-23-2014, 11:59 PM

Awesome results, 400whp!, with such minimal mods and cost
(#13)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 08-24-2014, 05:28 AM

What mods are on the dyno'd car? Those numbers are with a PURE turbo upgrade?

2008 Jet Black E92 N54, JB4, FBO, Meth
2011 LeMans Blue E92 N55, JB4, ********
2014 Estroil Blue F30 N55, JB4
2018 Mineral Grey F80 M3 - JB4, *********, BMS Intake
ON DECK: 2020 X3 M Competition
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Mods are in the first post. At lower boost levels the turbo is similar to stock, maybe a 10hp advantage. It's at higher boost levels and higher RPM that it would start to help more. It's basically a compressor wheel change. Nothing major.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: F30
Default 11-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Hi Terry, any new breakthrough? Should we expect a product launch on this soon?
(#16)
Old

Car: 2012 F30 320i
Default 11-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Terry,

I understand this is for the N54 EWG engines?
Would you be able to achieve this on the N20 EWG engines as well? That would probably open up higher boost capabilities (lower chance of knocking) on the 320i's?

Any chance that this could be done on the PWG models as well for the N20 320i's?

F30 320i Alpine White 8AT

- GSR Technik Stage 2 ECU Flash
- JB4 Map 1 @ 23psi max boost
- ER C@tless DP
- Simota Carbon Fibre Air Intake
- Mach5 Dual Exit Valvetronic Performance Exhaust
- Mach5 Aluminium Charge Pipes