N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#926)
Old

Car: M135i
Default 05-29-2014, 08:23 AM

Well from the instructions there is only one value to change in the settings.Firmware loaded fine and completed and jb4 restarted and tested out good.Out of curiosity was cold start tested ? i might just wait for the harness before mucking around again. im happy with my current state of tune on 8.6 production firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You probably just loaded something wrong or entered an incorrect setting somewhere. Without an EWG connector installed and without the blue pneumatic patch installed there is very little difference in the overall function of the firmware. We've run the EWG firmware on several cars without the adapter and it runs like normal.

M135I ER Down-pipe & charge pipe ,Milltek full system,Wagner Performance Intercooler AFE Stage 2 Intake Pure stage 1 Turbo & Quaife LSD
(#927)
Old

Default 05-29-2014, 08:34 PM

Load firmware ...Confirm set PID to 12 OL to 50 for FF wires didn't need to disconnect battery due not installing the harness ? Anything else ? Also like to confirm that the EWG firmware is good for E30

M135I ER Down-pipe & charge pipe ,Milltek full system,Wagner Performance Intercooler AFE Stage 2 Intake Pure stage 1 Turbo & Quaife LSD

Last edited by Chaddy74; 05-29-2014 at 09:04 PM..
(#928)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM

PID setting won't matter, FF should be set to 50 when FF wires are installed, for any version of the firmware.

The EWG cars don't always tolerate E85. Don't be surprised if yours does not.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#929)
Old

Default 05-29-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanks Terry ... Ok.... But on the 8.6 version of the firmware my car is happy and has been running on e85 mix for a week. If its happy on 8.6 Firmware it would be safe to say that it should be happy on the EWG firmware ?

(#930)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-30-2014, 04:24 PM

Here's a video showing how to avoid the startup code bug with the EWG harness in place.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#931)
Old

Default 05-30-2014, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the video Terry , Thats a great work around and simple solution to the problem in the interim !! Might be time for an EWG harness
Quote:
Here's a video showing how to avoid the startup code bug with the EWG harness in place.

(#932)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-30-2014, 04:41 PM

It's been working for me hopefully others can test and verify its a good work around! The startup code is somewhat complicated but I'm still digging through it to find the culprit.

Burger Motorsports

(#933)
Old

Car: 14' 435i
Default 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddy74
well if he didnt buy brand new your asking for trouble. that said i purchased brand new and it didnt even have the latest firmware :-( so who knows ..... need laptop and cable.
If you don't own a laptop. Get one of the 3rd party interfaces. you can do firmwares, change maps, logs and hell just about anything. I use the Android one. Works great.

14' 435i. M-Sport, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, more to come
(#934)
Old

Car: m235i
Default 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

terry,

will map 5 be finished by the next firmware update?

2014 M235i AT
JB4 Stage 2
Intake
35% e85
(#935)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Probably. Working on it now.

Burger Motorsports

(#936)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 05-31-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Nice. I do this anyway.
(#937)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 05-31-2014, 03:45 PM

I haven't had any start up code issues.

2008 Jet Black E92 N54, JB4, FBO, Meth
2011 LeMans Blue E92 N55, JB4, ********
2014 Estroil Blue F30 N55, JB4
2018 Mineral Grey F80 M3 - JB4, *********, BMS Intake
ON DECK: 2020 X3 M Competition
(#938)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-31-2014, 03:58 PM

Are you comfort access?

Burger Motorsports

(#939)
Old

Default 05-31-2014, 04:26 PM

No

(#940)
Old

Default 05-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Terry Im not sure if this helps you with the R&D process but i would get drivetrain malfunction error everytime after a negative battery disconnect.... Currently im not one of the EWG testers.

It wasn't until the other day when i removed the P3 from the OBD11 port that i realised that i didn't get the fault when disconnecting the battery. So in Short with something plugged into the OBD11 port for example P3 negative side of battery remove and attach I can recreate the error every time.

Last edited by Chaddy74; 06-01-2014 at 03:22 PM..
(#941)
Old

Default 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM

I had a drivetrain malfunction first time I took it out for a drive after install. Restarted the car and haven't had one since. I've had it installed a few weeks running map 2.

(#942)
Old

Thumbs up 06-01-2014, 01:51 AM

Sounds Promising

!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB
I had a drivetrain malfunction first time I took it out for a drive after install. Restarted the car and haven't had one since. I've had it installed a few weeks running map 2.

(#943)
Old

Car: F10 530d
Default 06-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Where can I get this EWG Harness?
(#944)
Old

Car: BMW M135i
Default 06-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Can I ask what might be a dumb question? I live in the UK and have an M135i with EWG, and a JB4.

Without wastegate control, how can the JB4 actually provide more power on an EWG car?

I understand you may be able to vary ignition timing and A/F ratios to provide a bit more power. But if you don't have wastegate control how can you run more boost, which is what really provides the extra power/torque?

Once EWG is released and I get the new harness, how much more power and torque can I expect compared to the current Map 1?

Thanks
(#945)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 06-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie LeDoux
Can I ask what might be a dumb question? I live in the UK and have an M135i with EWG, and a JB4.

Without wastegate control, how can the JB4 actually provide more power on an EWG car?

I understand you may be able to vary ignition timing and A/F ratios to provide a bit more power. But if you don't have wastegate control how can you run more boost, which is what really provides the extra power/torque?

Once EWG is released and I get the new harness, how much more power and torque can I expect compared to the current Map 1?

Thanks
You can still reach higher boost levels, so you will still make more power, but without the EWG harness, you are limited to around 3-4psi over stock. I have a M235 and I did make more power on map 2 and map 7 without the harness.

Last edited by JustinCredibleM; 06-01-2014 at 07:43 PM..
(#946)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie LeDoux

Thanks
The JB4 without the electronic EWG harness has limited duty cycle control, the EWG harness addition gives it a wider range of control. You can make 3-5psi over stock with the JB4 on EWG cars without the harness.

Burger Motorsports

(#947)
Old

Car: BMW M135i
Default 06-02-2014, 02:25 AM

Thanks guys. That clears things up nicely.
(#948)
Old

Car: 2014 335xi
Default 06-02-2014, 07:18 AM

Terry, Is the E85 issue being worked on? I really want to unleash this thing!
(#949)
Old

Default 06-02-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
PID setting won't matter, FF should be set to 50 when FF wires are installed, for any version of the firmware.

The EWG cars don't always tolerate E85. Don't be surprised if yours does not.
Terry, all cars running FF wires have to set OL at 50 even if its not using E85 mix? (In my case I use race gas).

Tks

2014 Estoril Blue Bmw M135i - 8 AT - N55 EWG - Mods:Jb4 - EWG harness - FF wires, ER Charge Pipe, AfePower Momentum PRO 5R Intake System, H2Racing 3.5" CTless Down Pipe, H2Racing 3" full SS Exhaust w/o mufflers, Wagner FMIC, BMS meth kit 100%, H&R springs, RSV Forged 19" wheels. Now with PURE STG2 and PI
(#950)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili
Terry, Is the E85 issue being worked on? I really want to unleash this thing!
What issue? I run an E35 mix and no problems so far.