Default Drivetrain Malfunction Error - 06-29-2020, 08:41 PM

2015 435i Gran Coupe
Map 5
E85 BEF
75% 91 octane / 25% E85

For some reason, if all of the following are true:

- In Sport +
- In Sport automatic mode

... and I decide to drop the hammer either from a dead start or < 35 MPH, my car will throw a Drivetrain Malfunction error. The strange thing is that JB4 isnít picking up any codes. If I put the car in park, power the motor off then back on, the error clears and Iím on my way.

This happens a little more than half the time. I have not been able to duplicate this in Sport manual mode.

For kicks, Iíve uploaded a third gear pull log.
Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M5_R1_200628_193640.csv (11.9 KB, 4 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 06-30-2020, 04:11 AM

When that happens does traction kick on as well?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Sedan
Default 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

In Sport + the wheels are allowed to spin. The wheels are about to break loose a bit when this occurs.

Did that answer your question?
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-01-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogybren
I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

In Sport + the wheels are allowed to spin. The wheels are about to break loose a bit when this occurs.

Did that answer your question?
Can you turn traction control fully off & see if the error returns

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM

I have looked all over the manual and can't find a way to turn DTC off while in Sport + mode. If I turn it off, it places me back in Comfort mode.

If I put it in Sport mode, DTC is off but DSC is on. If I turn DSC off, it puts me back in Comfort mode.

Unless I am missing something, I can only test this:

- in Sport mode with DSC on and DTC off
- in Comfort mode with DTC and DSC off

I'll test both and wait to hear if there is a way to do Sport plus with DTC off.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-01-2020, 04:22 PM

I was able to duplicate it in both Sport mode and Comfort mode with DTC and DSC off.

There was no code immediately after it threw the error. However this time after restarting the car, I got the following code:

103004 accelerator pedal module, pedal sensor 1, Job Title: High Voltage

103001 accelerator pedal module, pedal sensor 1, electric: Short circuit to positive

When I got home, I placed it in park and just mashed the throttle completely to the floor and it gave me the same error. Eventually in my parked testing, it gave me a check engine light but JB4 didn't pick up any codes.

So I guess something is up with my pedal? Google hasn't been very helpful with these codes.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM

For kicks and giggles, I restored the OEM flash and tested it in park again. I was not able to get it to error out.

I re-flashed it with the JB4 E85 BEF then tested it in park again. I was not able to get it to error out again.

I will test it again on the road as soon as I can.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Wasn’t able to recreate the issue on the road.

Strange issue.