N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default BMW 320i Dyno Results! - 06-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Hey guys,

Had a chance to get our new 320i MT on the dyno today. For those not familiar it's an N20 motor rated at around 185hp from the factory. Sticker price was around 34k IIRC. So it's basically the new "entry level" BMW. I hear they will be having $199 leases on them, etc. Dyno temps were in the high 70s and tests were done on ~93 octane.

It's been rumored that it's basically identical to a 328i only detuned from the factory and so far I've not found anything to disprove that. From the factory it runs a modest 8psi and feels like an absolute slug. Stock dyno numbers at 183whp confirmed its neutered status. The factory 328i does ~235rw for comparison.

To start I added our popular Stage1 tune using the default +3psi settings and it perked up to 212whp. At the higher +4psi settings we got 220whp. Pretty close to 328i numbers. Not bad for a simple to install inexpensive upgrade.

After the Stage1 testing I threw on the BETA Stage2 for a little fun. There is still plenty of work to do but was rewarded with a best of 266whp showcasing this platforms potential. Up next I need to richen up the air/fuel targets on Stage2, take direct control of the electronic wastegate, and finally do some E85 tuning.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: F30+ boosted E36/7
Default 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM

I want to scream I told you so to a bunch of people who whined about the 180hp rating. I said for sure that it would be underrated like every other FI BMW engine lately and put down at least that to the wheels.

Boom.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-05-2013, 03:26 PM

BMW always does that. Honestly I was expecting more like 200whp from the factory given what the 328 does. I had no idea they'd hold boost so low for purely marketing.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: F30+ boosted E36/7
Default 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
BMW always does that. Honestly I was expecting more like 200whp from the factory given what the 328 does. I had no idea they'd hold boost so low for purely marketing.
The boost is lower than I expected. I was thinking 10-12psi and was also thinking 200whp. But for such little psi, 180+whp ain't bad.

I am pretty sure mags will snag 0-60 in the mid high 6's. You need to do some Vbox runs before and after to confirm!
(#5)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 06-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Wow those #'s are solid! Good work T.

SOLD - FBO N54, Pure Turbos stage 2, TFT inlets, JB4/MHD, EOS intake manifold w/PI, Fuel-it stage 3
(#6)
Old
Probably being sarcastic

Car: e46 323i & e90 335i
Default 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Whats up with the boost target in that second log? Is that happening because of the wastegate not being directly controlled?

200k mi 99 blk 4dr e46 m52 323i w/ h&r's k&n cai shark'd
95 e36 m3 s50 5spd stg2 turner re11a's autox toy lol
07 BSM 6spd e90 n54 335i jb4 g5 iso ar **'s SPEC 2+ w/ SMFW BMW ssk bms dci RB pcv 455lph lpfp 50% e85 Syn. BOV hijk lmnop
94 e34 530it 290k 350ci sbc tko600 project

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Exactly. We need full electronic wastegate control to improve boost control. And a secondary issue with the 320i is we need much richer air/fuel targets. The 328i runs high 11s from the factory so we leave them as is. But with the 320i we'll want to push them back to that high 11 range at higher RPM. So that is going to take a bit of work as well.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: E92
Default 06-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Ha! Interesting stuff.....

My wife has a F30 328 loaner right now, I haven't really followed the F30 stuff so took it for a spin last night and was pretty impressed with the power the N20 puts out, its pretty damn fast all things considered! My first thought was, "I wonder what this could do with a tune" but figured it might be close to maxed out already, a quick look at the the N20 thread confirms its not nearly detuned as much as some other engines....

BUT....now look at this 320! That is factory detuned! Crazy.

Back in the "old days" I had a couple of VW 1.8T cars, also severely detuned for marketing reasons (cant be stepping on audi's toes!) Similar thing then, swap a chip, add 60-80 ft lb. of torque.

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-06-2013 at 02:05 PM..
(#9)
Old
Super Demigod

Car: 335i
Send a message via AIM to themyst
Default 06-06-2013, 02:25 PM

wow that is one pathetic peashooter exhaust. nice potential though.

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#10)
Old
huh?

Car: German car(S)
Default 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Very cool. I told my sister she should've waited instead of buying a C250

2014 CLS 550 Magno Cashmere White
(#11)
Old
Juicebox Junkie

Car: e92 335i
Default 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Does anybody know if BMW plans to continue using this motor throughout the life of the F30 or if they will scrap it like they did the 323i for the e90's?

If they are planning to keep it, I could have ********* made within a week to help those #'s out a bit.
(#12)
Old

Car: E90 335i, F30 320i
Default 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Nobody really knows, but I do know that our local BMW dealer is hiring 7 more salesman due to the expectation of sales of this vehicle. Its done well in the Euro, and Canadian market so far.
Also there are spy photo's and blogs about the X1/X3 20i as well as (don't laugh) the 420i. That's one car I would not de-badge. Not sure if the US would get the 420i due to the price point and lack of ponies but this N20B doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. **'s would help this car out a lot. Terry has already pulled more then 30 percent more power out of our shop car with just tuning alone.
(#13)
Old
<---N55 turbo

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bimmer
Does anybody know if BMW plans to continue using this motor throughout the life of the F30 or if they will scrap it like they did the 323i for the e90's?

If they are planning to keep it, I could have ********* made within a week to help those #'s out a bit.
Do you think there is a difference between the 320i and 328i with respect to the ********?

2011 135i N55 DCT
12.669 @ 112.90
2011 BMW 135i DCT N55: 12.669 @ 112.900 MPH
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM

For those interested we've gotten confirmation that the 320i does in fact have different higher compression pistons. Not able to share any addl info but they appear to be just as beefy as the 328i pistons.

What this means is likely a bit less pump gas performance but a bit more E85/meth performance to 320i owners when properly tuned.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 06-12-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
For those interested we've gotten confirmation that the 320i does in fact have different higher compression pistons. Not able to share any addl info but they appear to be just as beefy as the 328i pistons.

What this means is likely a bit less pump gas performance but a bit more E85/meth performance to 320i owners when properly tuned.
higher compression=more power with less boost?
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-12-2013, 07:20 AM

More power with less boost but also less combustion stability. So it limits what we can do on pump gas a bit more. But expands the power band when octane is unlimited (e.g. E85, meth, race gas).

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Car: F30 320i
Default 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Any comments on how this tune is looking? Really interested in tuning my 320i...
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM

It's out and works great. Plenty of stuff in the works too on the software side of things.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 07-19-2013, 10:42 AM

All else being equal, higher-comp pistons will make more power (higher compression, duh) but be closer to the "ragged edge" of knock that way. Would need to be more finely tuned, so makes sense why Terry has to play it safe. Based on what Terry said above - E85 mixes, I think, would make it potentially outperform the 328i, assuming there isn't any other hardware/software differences holding the 320i back.

Higher compression will also typically get you better gas mileage, all else being equal.

Will be funny to see even tuned 328i's being outpowered, out-MPG'ed, and for cheaper by the tuned 320i's.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#20)
Old

Car: F30 320i
Default 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM

How do I run Stge 2 on my JB4? I have a stock 320i and access to 93 octane. What do I need to buy to get this ~260HP on my 320i?
(#21)
Old
Professional Poster

Car: 2013 135I
Default 07-29-2013, 11:39 AM

I have a friend looking at this car and just wanted to point him in the right direction for mods.

Does anyone know if the 328i down-***** and axel back would fit this car since it basically is the same thing?

340i Hybrid = Burns Gasoline and Rubber
(#22)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Terry=Morpheus who awakened BMW's.....LOL
What a man!

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E50,
Fuel-it! Stage 2,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.026")
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak
How do I run Stge 2 on my JB4? I have a stock 320i and access to 93 octane. What do I need to buy to get this ~260HP on my 320i?
Just the N20 Stage2 and the E85 flex fuel connector add on.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Car: M3
Default 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:

BMW lists them as the same compression...

(#25)
Old

Car: bmw 320i
Default 08-20-2013, 06:01 AM

260 hp stage 2 great
Upgrading ******** maybe it will be 280 hp?
What think terry?