N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Knocking sound on cold starts near passenger side. - 08-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Hello,

I recently installed dci and er chargepipe about 3 weeks ago and Cobb v3 2 weeks ago. I noticed in the mornings after the car has been off for several hours it would make a knocking near the passenger side dash.. Its more noticeable in reverse however you won't be able to hear that cause of the pdc -_- . Also, I opened up the hood and tried to point out where it's knocking and its not noticeable at all. This only happens on a cold start...the car is running mint and does not jittter or anything. However, during the installation of dci and the chargepipe two screws did fall in the engine bay which I was unable to locate. I doubt it would be the screws because it only does it on a cold start?! My car is a 2009 335i e90 AT.

Please help

Thank you.

YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/lL_5LOwu8fU

Better video: ( you can see it's louder in reverse)

https://youtu.be/9hOaG-x0jwU
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 08-29-2015, 07:33 AM

I didn't hear any obvious knocking. But there where a lot of extra noises also. You should record the sound outside the vehicle with the hood up and engine cover off so nothing is muffled. Also if you can hear a knock it's already done its damage. Engines start knocking way before you can actually hear it most times. Are you producing smoke of any kind? You say the car is running mint so it may just be a loose part in the engine bay. The N54 is a noisy engine anyways. You use a metal tube and place it on the part of the engine you suspect and listen to it or use a stethoscope for a car to listen.

07 335i sleeper - PT5858 single turbo - stock exhaust - stock wheels
(#3)
Old

Default 08-29-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmarine
I didn't hear any obvious knocking. But there where a lot of extra noises also. You should record the sound outside the vehicle with the hood up and engine cover off so nothing is muffled. Also if you can hear a knock it's already done its damage. Engines start knocking way before you can actually hear it most times. Are you producing smoke of any kind? You say the car is running mint so it may just be a loose part in the engine bay. The N54 is a noisy engine anyways. You use a metal tube and place it on the part of the engine you suspect and listen to it or use a stethoscope for a car to listen.
The knocking sound is not coming from the engine! When I open up the hood i can hardly hear the sound, but when I'm in the cabin you can hear it ! The sound is coming from the front passenger side !
(#4)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 08-29-2015, 08:07 AM

Maybe some thing fell down into your blower motor. It's behind the glovebox.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-29-2015, 12:49 PM

Just remove your entire dash and reassemble it. Maybe something is just loose.

(#6)
Old

Default 08-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmarine
Just remove your entire dash and reassemble it. Maybe something is just loose.
Okay well try this!
(#7)
Old

Default 08-29-2015, 04:29 PM

I just remembered something. I had a knocking thumping noise coming from the center of my dash and it ended up being a loose bolt on the plastic cover that holds the in cabin air filter. Might check in that area first. It was a random noise but usually on start ups.