N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default Who all would like for the JB4 to be able to log AT fluid temps? - 09-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Just curious.
(#2)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 09-28-2015, 11:15 AM

+1. Would be awesome to see data point if possible!

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-28-2015, 12:06 PM

20 views and no comments? If you'd like to have this option, please post your interest in this thread.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-28-2015, 12:09 PM

I would love this feature to be added!

(#5)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 09-28-2015, 12:14 PM

I'd like it as well
(#6)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 135i
Default 09-28-2015, 01:29 PM

It would be nice...and even better if I could gauge it with JB4 Mobile!

2009 BMW 135i | Alpinweiß | 6AT | MHD/BMS JB4 G5 ISO32.8 | JB4 MHD 3/15/17 E85 Backend Flash | BMS Anti-Lag | Fuel-It Stage 2/ES-1/JB4 integration Kit | AD Engineering Port Injection | PR (Turbo-side) Inlets | PR Ignition System | VRSF DP | aFe Exhaust | Cobb FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | N20 TMAP | BMS Oil Cooler Valve | JB4 Mobile | 100% E85 | H&R Swaybars F&R | BA Diff Lock | StopTech D&S Rotors F&R | Cool Carbon Pads | Michelin PSS

(#7)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 09-28-2015, 01:48 PM

+1

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#8)
Old

Default 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Thats exactly what I'm getting at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsquirrel
It would be nice...and even better if I could gauge it with JB4 Mobile!
(#9)
Old
Guy with the pet snails

Car: 135i vert
Default 09-28-2015, 01:59 PM

I'd like to see it!

Motorsport Photographer, PM for Pricing on Car Shoots - mattkalish.com

(#10)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Yes, that would be lovely.

We have zero hard data as to how the 6AT functions in a high low, high heat environment. We have no clue what fluid temps. we're seeing, what the delta from ambient looks like, cool down time etc.
(#11)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 09-28-2015, 04:14 PM

Can it even be logged with BT? I would LOVE for this especially after installing my AT cooler....

M-Sport 135i - N54 - FBO - E60 - Mfactory LSD - MHD - JB4 - SPX Tuned
(#12)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Totally love this, for DCT it's a really important data set. Especially for the DCT's pushing with higher power levels, Terry knows the challenges with this already.
(#13)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 09-28-2015, 05:35 PM

AT Fluid would be great as would OIL TEMP as us E6X performance-minded N54 owners only have "Fuel" and "MPG" in our cluster under the tach and speedo.

I sometimes sneak into the hidden gauge cluster menu to pull up coolant temp, not the same as oil.

The more data and options the better.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#14)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 09-29-2015, 12:19 AM

Awhile back Terry mentioned that he was thinking of adding this into the JB4 but I don't think any progress has been made since. Maybe if there's enough of us interested he'll start working on it.
(#15)
Old

Default 09-29-2015, 04:46 AM

Would love it!
(#16)
Old

Default 09-29-2015, 05:50 AM

I've been monitoring it though INPA and my initial observation is that there is an extreme amount of heat soak from the engine at idle with the trans in neutral alone, much less when the system is under load. However, I'm sure heat is also being generated by the turbine and stator in the torque converter and the AT fluid pump. Here's what I've seen so far...

I removed the stock AT oil cooler (its a heater actually) and installed my own AT cooler design (that I might offer as a kit on my site) using a Setrab core and an Improved Racing 165F tstat. My initial concern was that I would not be able to adequately fill the trans with fluid per the procedure due to not having that heater in the system. Well, it turns out that there is a $hit ton of heat soak from the engine. Within 15 minutes of idling, the trans fluid temp easily hit 45C (fill temp is 30C-40C). Getting heat out of this system is paramount to building margin into the life of your transmission especially at these power levels. 2 runs at No-Fly or any high speed run and you're significantly cutting into the life of your gear box.

All the literature I've read on AT failure consistently states high fluid temps as the #1 cause, particularly with this ZF trans. Also what is very consistent is that the most ideal trans fluid temp is 165F-175F. With the stock AT fluid system being tied to the engine coolant, your AT fluid will never be in that range due to the fact the water tstat is set around 215F-230F, not to mention the amount of heat soak from the engine.
The failure modes go in this order...
1) High fluid temps kill the valve body solenoids (electronics no likey heat)
2) the valvebody cannot hold the pressures required due to the failing solenoids
3) the failed mechatronics cause premature and accelerated friction disc wear leading to catastrophic failure

This is why we need to be able to monitor trans fluid temps. I strongly feel that the majority of the trans failures on this platform are very much tied to extreme fluid temps. Everyone knows that heat robs HP and kills mechanical and electrical systems. Only with adequate monitoring and cooling can we really begin to see where the actual mechanical limitations of this gearbox really are. As of right now, heat is killing us. One could also deduce that this is also happening in the MTs as well since they are surely experiencing the same heat soak from the engine.

As of right now, I'm manually collecting my trans fluid temp data though INPA, which is a HUGE PITA.

Terry, hook us up. You know it can be done.

Last edited by AUbeast86; 09-29-2015 at 06:18 AM..
(#17)
Old

Default 09-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Yep. That's the intent of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
Awhile back Terry mentioned that he was thinking of adding this into the JB4 but I don't think any progress has been made since. Maybe if there's enough of us interested he'll start working on it.
(#18)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 09-29-2015, 07:14 AM

+1 would love to see this.
(#19)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 09-29-2015, 07:25 AM

of course!!!!

Last edited by jdm5596; 09-29-2015 at 07:53 AM..
(#20)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
I've been monitoring it though INPA and my initial observation is that there is an extreme amount of heat soak from the engine at idle with the trans in neutral alone, much less when the system is under load. However, I'm sure heat is also being generated by the turbine and stator in the torque converter and the AT fluid pump. Here's what I've seen so far...

I removed the stock AT oil cooler (its a heater actually) and installed my own AT cooler design (that I might offer as a kit on my site) using a Setrab core and an Improved Racing 165F tstat. My initial concern was that I would not be able to adequately fill the trans with fluid per the procedure due to not having that heater in the system. Well, it turns out that there is a $hit ton of heat soak from the engine. Within 15 minutes of idling, the trans fluid temp easily hit 45C (fill temp is 30C-40C). Getting heat out of this system is paramount to building margin into the life of your transmission especially at these power levels. 2 runs at No-Fly or any high speed run and you're significantly cutting into the life of your gear box.

All the literature I've read on AT failure consistently states high fluid temps as the #1 cause, particularly with this ZF trans. Also what is very consistent is that the most ideal trans fluid temp is 165F-175F. With the stock AT fluid system being tied to the engine coolant, your AT fluid will never be in that range due to the fact the water tstat is set around 215F-230F, not to mention the amount of heat soak from the engine.
2) the valvebody cannot hold the pressures required due to the failing solenoids
3) the failed mechatronics cause premature and accelerated friction disc wear leading to catastrophic failure

This is why we need to be able to monitor trans fluid temps. I strongly feel that the majority of the trans failures on this platform are very much tied to extreme fluid temps. Everyone knows that heat robs HP and kills mechanical and electrical systems. Only with adequate monitoring and cooling can we really begin to see where the actual mechanical limitations of this gearbox really are. As of right now, heat is killing us. One could also deduce that this is also happening in the MTs as well since they are surely experiencing the same heat soak from the engine.

As of right now, I'm manually collecting my trans fluid temp data though INPA, which is a HUGE PITA.

Begood69 has our Vm kit with level 10 torque converter and valvebody. He upgraded and added his own trans cooler with fans. Seems to be helping him a lot. Hes been doing 30 psi runs on his 6466 without issues. So I believe trans fluid heating up is a big deal. Can be a great solution.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#21)
Old

Car: 335xi coupe
Default 09-29-2015, 09:29 AM

+1 on monitoring AT temp.

also if we could monitor engine oil pressure that would be great too.
(#22)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 09-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86

I am curious about this, how high of a temp does the transmission fluid get during a multigear pull?

But I agree, transmission temp would be great for the AT guys...

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#23)
Old

Default 09-29-2015, 10:14 AM

I'll be logging this data manually as well for now but my assumption, based on how fast engine oil temps climb during high speed pulls, is that the AT fluid is probably in the same range if not higher since there is no real cooling.
The engine oil has its own cooler and the coolant has the radiator. The stock AT heat exchanger is about the size of a softball, behind the radiator/FMIC and is directly tied to the engine coolant, whose tstat is 215F-230F. Based on this, you can only assume that the transmission fluid is experiencing thermal runaway during high speed pulls. This is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
I am curious about this, how high of a temp does the transmission fluid get during a multigear pull?

But I agree, transmission temp would be great for the AT guys...
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Makes sense to add it. We'll have to look in to it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#25)
Old

Default 09-29-2015, 10:47 AM

AWESOME!! Thanks T!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Makes sense to add it. We'll have to look in to it.