N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1551)
Old

Car: 07 335I
Default 02-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Just installed my JB4 and love it. Terry and the guys at BMS are the best.
(#1552)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Installed the JB4 with DCI Saturday .. (had the JB+ and DCI previously).

Will take some time to understand the differences in map 2 and map 5 ... I will send logs out to make sure all looks ok ...

Appears that both maps make a good amount of power .. pulls real strong in 2nd and 3rd ... however - still a decent amount of lag off the line (when it kicks in - hold on).

Its like - punch it out ... lag ... kicks in and then tires spins a bit and off we go ...

I'd like to see a tire shredding map where i can light them up upon punch (no more BS Power brake) or maybe I am doing something wrong.

Also going to need to learn more about Boost on fuel, timing on fuel and the like .. where can i find more bout those?

One last thing - where can I get the software for the datacable so I can get logs and also where do I find the most current hex files to keep the unit up to date?

Thanks

-Mike-
(#1553)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM

On the first post of this thread.
(#1554)
Old

Default 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno
Has anybody here who has the JB4 (set in map zero) tried to adjust condition based service using the Barvarian Technic software?

My BT software worked before the JB4 but it will not reset CBS now. I can not communicate with the modules. Will somebody pelase see if you can adjust something harmless your cabin filter status? Or change your spark plugs by 1 percent and see if it will adjust the values?
I've been able to communicate with the modules, I had to clear some codes after fitting the Performance Steering Wheel.

Individual Velvet Blue Manual E90 335i M-Sport.
(#1555)
Old

Default 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM

where do I find this option 1/3?

"3) If you have an offroad race car with ********* the ***** is no longer needed. Remove it and put its wiring back to stock. If you lost the jumper wires you can relocate 3 wires from unused locations within your PnP harness. Just check for spots that do not have a factory wire connected and salvage the jumper. Turn autoclear on in the JB4 by selecting option 1/3."

(#1556)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Right in the steering wheel controls.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1557)
Old
SYTFU Crew

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM

Just had time to load new firmware. gonna try and get some map5 logs with this nice break in weather.

T i also e-mailed you about a code. Cheers!

(#1558)
Old

Default 03-01-2011, 05:55 AM

Does the jb4 erase the speed limiter?
(#1559)
Old

Car: 335I E92
Default 03-01-2011, 06:01 AM

nop, you still need the BMS speed limiter.
(#1560)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto
nop, you still need the BMS speed limiter.
Really? Did not realize that, but also haven't tested it

Terry - any input on the launch control feature in the future firmware releases? -OR- any tips on how to launch this thing for effectively?
(#1561)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Launch control is for the opposite of what you want. It's for launching harder on slicks. You need to use the gear dependent boost limiter. Set 1st gear to 7 to run stock boost in 1st.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1562)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Ha ha! I was just starting to mess with boost redux. I set first gear to 10 to see what difference it made...and that is when my HPFP died the rest of the way. I guess I will see how it does when I get it back in the next day or two.

Mods: FBO
(#1563)
Old

Default 03-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Launch control is for the opposite of what you want. It's for launching harder on slicks. You need to use the gear dependent boost limiter. Set 1st gear to 7 to run stock boost in 1st.
Interesting. A buddy of mine had an e46 M3 with LC and it actually improved launching on his street tires. I guess depending on the settings of the LC, it would ideally perform for your specific setup.

In any case, I'll try the 7psi 1st gear and see if that helps. Do you recommend holding any revs pre-launch, and do you recommend DTC on or off?

I know this is probably a newb question, but thanks in advance.

Thanks!
(#1564)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM

For the DTC stuff and launch method it really varies. Try different things to see what works best for you. If you're auto 2nd gear launches are golden.

Burger Motorsports

(#1565)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM

I can launch very well on my AD08s at around 70°F ambient if I have a clean road and hold about 2000PRM at the line and then very quickly build up throttle as I lock the clutch up. This is with 11psi max boost in 1st. You have to watch the 1-2 shift though, if you drop it too hard it will spin sometimes and then you have to let off, wait for traction and go again, or try to hold it through (which doesn't get you anywhere with the stock diff). A perfect 1-2shift that hooks up feels AMAZING though, or punching it from a roll in 2nd at about 3500RPM and feeling that torque instantly build up.

Can't wait to run APEX wheels/Vorshlag camber plates with 255F 275R setup. =)

(#1566)
Old

Default 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Terry - Also a reminder that I vote for the feature to "program in" the exhaust flap to sstay open at all times. While it's easy to manually make this happen, it does throw a code. Would be "cleaner" to have it ecu controlled and have no code.
(#1567)
Old

Car: 2010 335i Coupe
Default 03-02-2011, 01:17 AM

this might just be an annoyance, but would it be a problem to add a 'connect' hotkey? i can't stand the mousepad..lol
(#1568)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Sedan
Default 03-02-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
What is the advantage of keeping it that low in 1st gear? I'm actually in the same boat as MikeF from a few posts back - even though I'm putting down a really good 0-60, it's still laggy from the start.
(#1569)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 03-02-2011, 04:05 AM

guys ,which is better during acceleration (take off) (0-120) DTC or without DTC?
(#1570)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 03-02-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney
Terry - Also a reminder that I vote for the feature to "program in" the exhaust flap to sstay open at all times. While it's easy to manually make this happen, it does throw a code. Would be "cleaner" to have it ecu controlled and have no code.

Wierd. I've done mine manually and have never had a code pop up. Even went to service like that. Do you have the number of the code it threw??

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!
(#1571)
Old

Default 03-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsabor67
Wierd. I've done mine manually and have never had a code pop up. Even went to service like that. Do you have the number of the code it threw??
2F6C

I unplugged it in the trunk panel, I'm guessing you did a golf tee or something? I think having it programmed in as an option would give a more "professional" solution. To me, doing a golf tee or unplugging something is a mod for a Honda, not a Bimmer. I have mine unplugged because it sounds better, but I hate knowing I have a code for it and something unplugged. Is that OCD enough for you?
(#1572)
Old

Default 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Same here. Unplugged and have to live with that code.

JB4 //MMP Stage 3 turbos//Custom Exhaust/BMS DCI//FMIC/KW suspension//Pi & Fuel it stage 4/MHD
BEF /CP&TIAL/ OCC.
(#1573)
Old
Country Roads!

Default 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Just use a zip tie.

(#1574)
Old

Default 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM

You're missing my point...I am aware of the options, but in my opinion using a zip tie, or a golf tee, or unplugging a connection, is a jerry-rigged solution. My OP to Terry was asking him to program this option into the JB4 firmware.
(#1575)
Old
Country Roads!

Default 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Oh, I agree about it being nice to be included with a future JB update. I just don't see the issue with using a zip tie for the time being. Another option would be to install a small valve in line between the line and the actuator. For me the zip tie works. No one can see it, and it can be removed in about 2 seconds.