N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1451)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Right now, map 4 is the same as stock in terms of fuel economy. But fixing that is on the to-do list!
I would like to make a plug for the econ map 4 and the exhaust flap bypass as well. Also, adjustable/lower stealth gauge hijacking (50%?).

Couple questions:
- Would you expect the new "economy" map 4 to yield much better fuel economy for highway driving than stock/Map 1? Do the turbos even produce boost at cruising speeds on stock/Map 1 mappings? (maybe a silly question, but I am no FI expert)
-Would you expect the final Map 5 to produce more power/boost on all stock cars than Map 1 (93 oct)?
(#1452)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM

FWIW, I noticed about a 5 mpg spread between Jb3 map 0 and Map 5, all highway driving approx 400 miles.
(#1453)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 02-22-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptime
+1
+2 I have been running map5 for a couple of days now and did some 0-200 km/h yesterday. It feels very smooth but is it possible that it's faster than map 2? I got that feeling. Running 98 RON V-Power.
(#1454)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2011, 12:29 AM

Hey guys, uploaded 2/21 firmware:

1) Revised map 5 algorithm from 0-20 steps down to 0-15 steps but with each step representing more of a boost change. Resulted in improved stability.
2) Lengthened window for increasing aggression 15%.
3) Revised map 1 to include a little more high rpm taper based off customer provided logs.
4) Fixed bug with aggression level resetting when entering command mode even if no map selection change is made.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1455)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongen71
+2 I have been running map5 for a couple of days now and did some 0-200 km/h yesterday. It feels very smooth but is it possible that it's faster than map 2? I got that feeling. Running 98 RON V-Power.
Entirely possible. It will all very much depend on how close a fit map 2 was to your car prior.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1456)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 02-22-2011, 05:56 AM

I also felt like its faster than map2 ,throttle response is HIGHER...

i was running on map 2 ,i did some WOTs but the ffmax didnt change (=100) ,isnt it supposed to change?

I am now running map 5...lets give it some more time to adapt...
(#1457)
Old

Default 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodi

i was running on map 2 ,i did some WOTs but the ffmax didnt change (=100) ,isnt it supposed to change?

I noticed that as well. After I updated to 2/18 the ffmax value was still 51. I changed it to 100. I thought it would change automatically with new firmware?!? Will try to run a log tomorrow.
(#1458)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

I understand map5 is safer due to autotune, but what about a scenario where it tunes to 16psi one night, and fuel or weather conditions suddenly take a turn for the worse after a morning refill? It does not learn until WOT high rpm 3rd and 4th gear runs, so what if a user unknowingly burns through first and second with unsafe autotune intervals set, when their "safe zone" is really only 12psi?
(#1459)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu
I understand map5 is safer due to autotune, but what about a scenario where it tunes to 16psi one night, and fuel or weather conditions suddenly take a turn for the worse after a morning refill? It does not learn until WOT high rpm 3rd and 4th gear runs, so what if a user unknowingly burns through first and second with unsafe autotune intervals set, when their "safe zone" is really only 12psi?
It is a non issue at part throttle I would guess because the DME is constantly monitoring things and making adjustments.

Mods: FBO
(#1460)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2
It is a non issue at part throttle I would guess because the DME is constantly monitoring things and making adjustments.
yes, we dont reach full boost at part throttle, but there (although seemingly unlikely) are people who may WOT in first and second and hit the autotune 16psi target unsafely, no?
(#1461)
Old

Default 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
yes, we dont reach full boost at part throttle, but there (although seemingly unlikely) are people who may WOT in first and second and hit the autotune 16psi target unsafely, no?
Terry - How long would it take to adjust back from 16 psi to let's say 12 psi? Especially interesting to know if we don't use the same gasstation all the time.
(#1462)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodi

It will change itself if needed. The 100 default value we used was an average based on many cars so it's going to be very close in many cases.

Burger Motorsports

(#1463)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
1st and 2nd gear are not at all knock prone so there isn't much of a concern there. Besides I think people take the "safe zone" a little too literally. We've had customers running JB3 map 7 tune only with 2-3 major timing drops per gear for YEARS without issue! So a drop here and there is not an issue at all.

Burger Motorsports

(#1464)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Terry - How long would it take to adjust back from 16 psi to let's say 12 psi? Especially interesting to know if we don't use the same gasstation all the time.
The algorithm is quick to drop boost and slow to raise it. You could get from 16psi down to 12psi in 10 seconds of WOT, but to go from 12psi up to 16psi would take a minimum of 50 seconds.

Burger Motorsports

(#1465)
Old
They like my swag....

Car: 135i
Default 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Awesome info.

2015 F36 - JB4 - VSRF CP/Tube/FMIC
(#1466)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Hey guys, uploaded 2/21 firmware:

1) Revised map 5 algorithm from 0-20 steps down to 0-15 steps but with each step representing more of a boost change. Resulted in improved stability.
2) Lengthened window for increasing aggression 15%.
3) Revised map 1 to include a little more high rpm taper based off customer provided logs.
4) Fixed bug with aggression level resetting when entering command mode even if no map selection change is made.

That was fast, I barely had time to data log the 02/18 firmware. Can't wait to try it out.
(#1467)
Old

Default 02-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square&level
That was fast, I barely had time to data log the 02/18 firmware. Can't wait to try it out.
2/22 Logs sent
(#1468)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Default 02-23-2011, 01:25 AM

uoooooooohhhh !!!!
You have a firmware that is not out yet !!!! lol

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#1469)
Old

Car: 335i convertible, JB4, Injen intake
Default 02-23-2011, 01:53 AM

Hey guys. Loving the Jb4

I am running intake and 95-98octane

Am I safe to run map 7 with auto tune?

Just installed new firmware
(#1470)
Old

Car: 335i convertible, JB4, Injen intake
Default 02-23-2011, 02:32 AM

Sorry. Typo. Meant map 5 with auto tune?
(#1471)
Old

Default 02-23-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity
uoooooooohhhh !!!!
You have a firmware that is not out yet !!!! lol
it's out - check the first page
(#1472)
Old

Default 02-23-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E S P
Hey guys. Loving the Jb4

I am running intake and 95-98octane

Am I safe to run map 7 with auto tune?

Just installed new firmware
Safe on map 5 - autotunes down to 12 psi which is lower than map 1 for stock cars. I have been driving on map 5 for some days now and it feels great - powerful and smooth Using 98 V-power, DCI and DP's. It takes a couple of days before it's fully adjusted though when you switch.
(#1473)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 02-23-2011, 04:19 AM

I Like Maps 1&2 with their aggresiveness and the power on tap, but I am really starting to like map 5. Very progressive and adaptable. I was mapswitching on the way to work this morning and you can definetly tell the difference.

Now to update and do some logs today!!!!

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!
(#1474)
Old

Car: 08 BMW 335i
Send a message via AIM to E90PAT
Default 02-23-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Safe on map 5 - autotunes down to 12 psi which is lower than map 1 for stock cars. I have been driving on map 5 for some days now and it feels great - powerful and smooth Using 98 V-power, DCI and DP's. It takes a couple of days before it's fully adjusted though when you switch.
thats no joke! when i first istalled the jb i took her out for a spin and wasnt impressed, then driving home from school on the highway i overtake a truck DAMN! where did all this power come from??

(#1475)
Old

Car: 08 BMW 335i
Send a message via AIM to E90PAT
Default 02-23-2011, 04:40 AM

hey T does the jb4 revert to map0 when its cold engine?