N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#2376)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118
Yes I agree there is the switch via the wheel command... try to do it while driving????

A simple flip of a switch is easier! Like the M button on the 1M coupé
Not sure why you think the steering wheel control map switching is hard to do while driving. I personally think its easier than a switch because I don't have to take my hands off the steering wheel. The volume up/down and station up/down buttons are within perfect reach of your thumbs while your hands on on the 10 and 2 o'clock posistion of the wheel. Simply press the volume and station down buttons at the same time, station up button once, and then volume down once and BAM!, you just went from map 1 to map 2. I can do it with my eyes closed just as fast as reaching for, and flipping a switch

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#2377)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Yes I agree there is the switch via the wheel command... try to do it while driving????
Yes, I don't see why that is a problem. An in all reality, unless you are at the track switching to race fuel or something out of the ordinary I would just pick a map that works best for your setup and leave it on that Map.

-Jeff

Mods: FBO
(#2378)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Well the steering wheel controls are in fact designed to be used while driving due to normal switches and buttons being unsafe...
(#2379)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Could you add to the JB4 the map switching via a physical switch, like it was possible in JB3

I don't mind to solder a wire on the JB4 chip to go to the switch...

It would be great to switch from map1 to map2 or map5 on the fly
That's so backwards! Just use the integrated steering wheel controls.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2380)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM

lol thats like wanting to manually engage your starter motor with a switch when you can just press the ignition button to start the car.

i left my gauges in command center mode one time before letting my friend drive and then asked him how he managed to screw up my tune.

(#2381)
Old

Default 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Ummmmm...you can switch from map to map on the fly via the steering wheel controls. I'm confused.
(#2382)
Old

Car: 335
Default 05-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2
Do you have a JB4? If so then I highly recommend reading the instructions...I'm not wanting to sound like a dick, which I know I do. But, the JB4 has one of the best Map switching functions of any tuner/piggyback on the market
+1. The map switching in the JB 4 is easily the best map switching of any tune out there.
(#2383)
Old

Default 05-18-2011, 02:45 AM

The wheel command is indeed nice and modern!

But in case of need (if a ferrari comes on) it would be nice to switch map by flipping a switch located in the small glove box at the left ! (the switch is already there)

Faster than multiple klicks on the wheel buttons

Come on Terry, this should be matter of 1h devlopment for you to integrate it on a new version of JB4
(#2384)
Old

Car: 2015 F22 M235i
Default 05-18-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:

But in case of need (if a ferrari comes on) it would be nice to switch map by flipping a switch located in the small glove box at the left ! (the switch is already there)

Come on Terry, this should be matter of 1h devlopment for you to integrate it on a new version of JB4
Im willing to bet I can change from map 5 to map 7 using my steering wheels controls faster than most can reach in to their glove box, feel for and find the switch and then switch it.....

The steering wheel controld literally takes 2 seconds to change a map.

-Nick

2014 335i xDrive / Silver / ZF8 / M-Sport / 400M / BM3 2H Map / xHP Stage 3 / ATM FMIC / H&R Sports / VRSF **/CP
(#2385)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-18-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:

I am with the others in saying the wheel buttons are great! They are fast, easy to learn, and you can not get anymore stock/stealth looking.

Also, why would we want Terry taking his time working up some sort of rig when he could be taking this time on real upgrades to the system that make our cars faster???
(#2386)
Old
Engineer

Car: 2008 BSM 335i Coupe
Default 05-18-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:

Y cant you just leave it on the map you would race a fararri on?

Chances are you are the only person that would want something like that. So just a one off jb4 for you isnt really a good business move.

2008 BSM 335i coupe-jb4.BMS intake.meth
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix-10.5PSI.PRJ LL Cam.supporting mods

(#2387)
Old

Default 05-18-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy99gpgt
Y cant you just leave it on the map you would race a fararri on?

Chances are you are the only person that would want something like that. So just a one off jb4 for you isnt really a good business move.
That's the thing though, Terry is so much more about customer service than anything else. I could see him trying to make this happen for one or two people just trying to make EVERYONE happy. Personally, I would like to see him keep his eyes on the prize. Like a super car 550 whp 93oct map on a bone stock car!!! OK, that might be a bit much but you get the drift.
(#2388)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 05-18-2011, 05:33 AM

This switch would be the most pointless mod ever. I did check to see how long it takes to switch maps, and it was indeed right at 2 seconds.

Mods: FBO
(#2389)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 05-18-2011, 05:36 AM

I smell a Troll.... or someone who came from a mustang using the SCT flip-switch
(#2390)
Old
Engineer

Car: 2008 BSM 335i Coupe
Default 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser
That's the thing though, Terry is so much more about customer service than anything else. I could see him trying to make this happen for one or two people just trying to make EVERYONE happy.
My comment was not meant to put down terry at all. He cares very much about his customers and I greatly appreciate his work and dedication to this platform. I was just saying the map switching is as good as it needs to be. To switch maps in my other car I have to completely reflash the computer. That takes a few minutes and the car cant be moving!

Quote:
Personally, I would like to see him keep his eyes on the prize. Like a super car 550 whp 93oct map on a bone stock car!!! OK, that might be a bit much but you get the drift.
I have the same goal minus the stock part! A lot of the car guys I cruise with drive 600+ WHP street cars. I would like to get to that level someday in the future.

2008 BSM 335i coupe-jb4.BMS intake.meth
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix-10.5PSI.PRJ LL Cam.supporting mods

(#2391)
Old

Car: 2010 335i
Default 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM

I have a feature request: I'd like to be able to check the status of the auto tuning avgign parameter without hooking up a laptop.

I've been varying my octane, trying 91, 91+NOS booster, 95, and 100, and watching what happens on map 5, trying to find a sweet spot. Weather is a factor too, so I'd like to check avgign more regularly without having to fire up the interface.
(#2392)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 05-18-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i
Im willing to bet I can change from map 5 to map 7 using my steering wheels controls faster than most can reach in to their glove box, feel for and find the switch and then switch it.....

The steering wheel controld literally takes 2 seconds to change a map.

-Nick
+5
(#2393)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM

No immediate plans to add a hardwire map switch. Maybe some day when time permits. But we have better uses for those extra JB4 I/O...

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2394)
Old

Car: 10 E82
Default 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM

FAQ indicates that 1,4,5 are action menu where it will reset once you performed the action.

in the last spread sheet for 4/22 menu 4 seems to start at 4 or 5 to indicate CAN stat ?? is this a typo??

one more question when you toggle menu 5-6 how do you know if you are toggling to off or on without actually running a test drive.
(#2395)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Yeah I'll remove that from the FAQ. For stealth mode if you forget the setting only way to know is to test drive.

Burger Motorsports

(#2396)
Old
Super Demigod

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Default 05-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yeah I'll remove that from the FAQ. For stealth mode if you forget the setting only way to know is to test drive.
Just blip the throttle in neutral easiest way

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#2397)
Old

Default 05-20-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Speaking of the stealth mode, it's a little disconcerting seeing my fuel gauge suddenly come back when I lift. If I'm driving enthusiastically chances are I'm going to be pressing the pedal again once I get out of the corner. Is there scope for adding some hysteresis to the gauge hijacking timing, so that it holds in gauge hijacked mode for some time after lifting?
(#2398)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM

It's certainly possible if demand is there.

Burger Motorsports

(#2399)
Old
SYTFU Crew

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 05-20-2011, 10:33 AM

I think a 2 second delay would be great!

(#2400)
Old
JB since 2007

Car: 2007 335i
Default 05-20-2011, 04:51 PM

I like the idea of the stealth gauge staying active for an extra 2 seconds also. I think it might also be better to see them come on a little sooner than 80% throttle. Maybe more like 70 or even 60% because during normal driving, I'm hardly ever more than 50% throttle.