N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1076)
Old

Car: 335i
Default O - 02-03-2011, 10:53 AM

I really have no idea how either works. Just bought a used jb3 and waiting for it to arive. Looking for something i can install without having to mess with too much. To upgrade i just send in the jb3 and pay the upgrade fee?
(#1077)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyt13
I really have no idea how either works. Just bought a used jb3 and waiting for it to arive. Looking for something i can install without having to mess with too much. To upgrade i just send in the jb3 and pay the upgrade fee?
Just about sums it. You have to check and see on the link Terry posted on teh first post of the thread.

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!
(#1078)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jnic335i
Wink 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Pin out is easy, you just move 3 pairs of wires to new spots and put the power wire in.
that sounds great. Thanks again! can't wait for the new features.

JB4 | BMS DCI | UR DP | H&R | LC Z2s
(#1079)
Old

Car: 07 BSM E92 335i
Default 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM

What is the suggested value for FutureUseD at this point?
Any downsides to setting this to 2?
(#1080)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnic335i
Man my pin-out JB3 is going to be a work load. Terry, how long would it take you to convert a JB3 pin-out to JB4? I'm going to take that time and X's it by 2 for me
It took me like an hour but I was a wee bit drunk and also didn't have the right tools. Don't let the tiny nuts drop away when you're taking apart the plastic casing that plugs into the JB4 control box!
(#1081)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Some stuff that i cannot find what they stand for...
CAN?
PID?
TMAP?
CEL?

And is hijacking the term for switching settings and things on the JB4 or something else?

Thank you for the help
(#1082)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM

No need to really know any of those acronyms. They are just pseudo technical talk for those interested.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1083)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM

The JB4 is definitely worth the upgrade. If you bought from us and are considering upgrading definitely do it sooner than later. Once these first 1000 upgrade kits are done we'll probably remove the $85 option. This is just too much work for us to about break even.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1084)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM

I know it's not necessary to know, but I am trying to learn this stuff and it helps me understand the information if I understand the language...

CAN?
PID?
TMAP?
CEL?

And is hijacking the term for switching settings and things on the JB4 or something else?

Thank you for the help
(#1085)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes
What is the suggested value for FutureUseD at this point?
Any downsides to setting this to 2?
I don't know why but this made me laugh. If you read Terry's instructions they are pretty clear on this.

There is no suggested value for future use D. There are three options:
1)leave it at 0 and nothing happens
2)set it to 1 and you disable the steering wheel functions
3)set it to 2 and you activate adaptive PID/Feedforward scaling

So it's up to you to decide whether adaptive PID/Feedforward scaling is a disadvantage. Most people feel autotuning is an advantage but if your not sure then I wouldn't mess with any values.

Oh and don't confuse my use of autotuning to mean that the JB4 has autotuning. The adaptive PID/Feedforward scaling is a type of autotuning not to be confused with full autotuning which Terry is working on and the JB4 will have.
(#1086)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc
I know it's not necessary to know, but I am trying to learn this stuff and it helps me understand the information if I understand the language...

CAN?
PID?
TMAP?
CEL?

Thank you for the help
CAN = controller area network
PID = pelvic inflammatory disease. Kidding. Some PID info here.
TMAP = temperature/manifold pressure sensor.
CEL = check engine light.

Burger Motorsports

(#1087)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc

CAN?
PID?
TMAP?
CEL?

Thank you for the help
1)CAN is the short term for CAN-bus which stands for Controller area network
and basically is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer

2)PID stands for proportional integral derivative controller and is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems

3)TMAP stands for Temperature Manifold Absolute Pressure and is a sensor. The manifold absolute pressure sensor provides instantaneous manifold pressure information to the engine's ECU

4)CEL stands for check engine light and hopefully is self explanatory

Anyone (especially Terry) correct me if I am wrong. Oh and Terry that type of PID is more my area of expertise but if you want we can always switch jobs for a day explaining what they mean.
(#1088)
Old

Car: 2011 CTS-V Coupe
Default 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
CAN = controller area network
PID = pelvic inflammatory disease. Kidding. Some PID info here.
TMAP = temperature/manifold pressure sensor.
CEL = check engine light.
LOL
(#1089)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Adaptive PID is not the same as full "autotuning", but it's an important component to it. It's an algorithm to adapt the boost control to your cars specific wastegate stiffness, mods, local conditions, etc. We'll be building upon it in future releases while we simultaneously add the other components needed.

As you do subsequent WOT pulls you'll see the FFMAX value under user settings adjust itself between 0-130. This represents how much of the duty cycle increase is fixed/hits instantly and how much is variable through the PID process. Ideally you want most of the increase to come through the fixed/feed forward as it will result in you hitting your target much faster than waiting for the PID to integrate to it. But if the value is overly aggressive you'll get overshoot and throttle closure. So the adaptive PID ranges FFMAX based on historic data collected during WOT runs. Right now its ranging one value which scales the entire 3D curve but the next step on adaptive PID will be to have it learn on a cel by cel basis (rpm, gear, target). This gets us 80% of where we'd like to be though with only 20% of the testing and work required.
Great explanation... I might not have looked hard enough but where is the FFMAX value in the user adjustment screen? Under information only? Would be interesting see the number change and share.

Hope i try it out tomrrow and get some logs in tmw or sunday before the game to compare with ma last set of JB4 logs.

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#1090)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM

so confused with all the diffrent settings. when i get it can't i just set it to map 1 and leave it without screwing with anything else?
(#1091)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyt13
so confused with all the diffrent settings. when i get it can't i just set it to map 1 and leave it without screwing with anything else?
You don't even need to do that. it comes preset to map 1. Just install, enjoy, and stop checking this thread.

Burger Motorsports

(#1092)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 08:54 PM

LOL!!!! Thanks Terry
(#1093)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM

Thank you terry and rmdvrs!

One last question for now haha, hijacking means the jb4 taking over the dash lights and gauges?
(#1094)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Yes showing boost on the fuel gauge, shift light on the dash, that sort of stuff. Really cool especially with stealth mode on.

Burger Motorsports

(#1095)
Old

Default 02-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Great explanation... I might not have looked hard enough but where is the FFMAX value in the user adjustment screen? Under information only? Would be interesting see the number change and share.

Hope i try it out tomrrow and get some logs in tmw or sunday before the game to compare with ma last set of JB4 logs.
FeedForward max is under Global Settings under the user adjustment tab.
(#1096)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 02-03-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdvrs
FeedForward max is under Global Settings under the user adjustment tab.
Thanks! Found it.

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#1097)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 02-04-2011, 07:30 AM

My JB4 arrived yesterday...Now if I can find time over the next couple of days to install it I will be a happy boy!

-Jeff

Mods: FBO
(#1098)
Old
Ma need more protein !

Car: 2009 335i x drive
Default 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM

new firmware again Terry? :D

2009 335 xdrive - Muff Delete, JB4 (ALPHA), DCIs, V701 GM, CF Splitters, +mas
(#1099)
Old

Car: '07 SGM 335i
Default 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Can someone help me decode the datalogging variables (i.e. ecu psi vs pre-boost, misc, dmebt, ffpid, timer1, etc)?
(#1100)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTepper
Can someone help me decode the datalogging variables (i.e. ecu psi vs pre-boost, misc, dmebt, ffpid, timer1, etc)?
ECU psi is what the DME observes boost as, DME BT is the DME's boost target, FFPID is the feed forward component of the pid control, and pre-boost is boost in front of the throttle body from the tmap sensor. Many are internal use and/or not relevant to customer use.

Burger Motorsports