Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBooster
Regarding JB4:
1. Installed JB4 today, started up, rough idle and half-engine light.
2. BT cable showed Code 3100 "Boost deactivated"
3. Warmed engine and restarted a few times and half engine light went out.
4. Idle better, but still have the Code 3100
Will this go away?

5. I have downloaded to my laptop the latest firmware and interface.
6. Do I remove the JB3 from my laptop and install the new 1/1 interface?
7. If so, will "JB4" show up so I can add that icon to my desktop for connecting?
8. Will I have to go through the "com port" search again?

Thanks to all for guidance. It means a lot to me (and others, I suppose). Larry

I'd say the harness was put in wrong. I had to uninstall JB3 interface and re-install JB4 interface and the USB drivers, then reboot for the interface to work properly.

The JB4 itself worked right out of the box though once I finished the harness and installed, with no firmware update, so I'm guessing your problem is harness/wiring related.

You're gonna LOVE it once it's working!
(#577)
Old
Ma need more protein !

Car: 2009 335i x drive
Default 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ
I'd say the harness was put in wrong. I had to uninstall JB3 and re-install JB4 and the USB drivers, then reboot for the interface to work properly.

The JB4 worked right out of the box though, with no firmware update, so I'm guessing your problem is harness/wiring related.

Worked for me also..i was very meticulous with install (not saying you werent) just may have missed a loom or a replacement of a loom

2009 335 xdrive - Muff Delete, JB4 (ALPHA), DCIs, V701 GM, CF Splitters, +mas
(#578)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Be sure to line up the wires properly from the female to male sides, and count the pins properly. All of this done with the battery disconnected of course.
(#579)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Regarding JB4:
Will this go away?

7. If so, will "JB4" show up so I can add that icon to my desktop for connecting?

Probably some install related problem. As always, just email if you need any tech support! But 3100 only clears with ignition off, and BT only works with JB4 on map 0.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#580)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

So when reading codes with the JB4 installed with the BT cable, the Jb4 should be set to map 0, then read the codes with the BT cable? is this correct.

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#581)
Old

Default 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Regarding JB4:
Will this go away?

Double check the power wire going into the green connector. I remember when I installed mine, I didn't push the pin all the way into the connector. For some reason, that day I felt like triple checking everything and sure enough, it was in, but not all the way in (only half way in). Not sure what would have happened if I left the pin half in, but it's a good place to start checking. So, I pushed it all the way in until I saw the pin and heard a click. And everything worked, no CEL or anything like that.

GL!

JB3 2.0 map 7
(#582)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
So when reading codes with the JB4 installed with the BT cable, the Jb4 should be set to map 0, then read the codes with the BT cable? is this correct.
Right, to use the BT or any diagnostic tool aside from the JB4 itself you need to switch over to map 0.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#583)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 01-06-2011, 08:21 PM

was that me having problem with my internet connection at work and home, i've been trying to download the 1/1 interface but it seems very slow and cannot establish a connection to the link?

-eric
2007 TiAg E90
(#584)
Old

Car: e91 335i
Default 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect
So if and when you do find the CAN command for the seatbelt chime does that mean you will give us the option of disabling it all together? I hate that damn chime
I had the seabelt chime disabled by the dealer the day when I picked up my car.
(#585)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M
I had the seabelt chime disabled by the dealer the day when I picked up my car.
You Bastard!

Wish I could
(#586)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 01-07-2011, 02:23 AM

Guys i finally did it!...first time!..
JB4 installed properly and sat to map1 ,the installation was a real pain!..specially for a newbie like myself...the sliders were VERY hard to pull and i actually broke part of its plastic base...got a little angry..but this didnt affect the instllation and is not obvious at all!...
took me around an hour to finish this task...every thing was HARD to pull (wires ,clips sliders)...but i guess my second time will be much faster...
i ran arround in the car for a while and i noticed a significant different ,not that"wow effect" ,but i know it ll take some time for the ecu to adapt..at high RPMs..u feel the PULLING power of the car!...
i need to start data logging via the USB cable in order to send it to Terry ,installed the JB4 performance tuner software on my laptop ,how should i do the logging now? car stopped? how long?
(#587)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodi
Guys i finally did it!...first time!..
JB4 installed properly and sat to map1 ,the installation was a real pain!..specially for a newbie like myself...the sliders were VERY hard to pull and i actually broke part of its plastic base...got a little angry..but this didnt affect the instllation and is not obvious at all!...
took me around an hour to finish this task...every thing was HARD to pull (wires ,clips sliders)...but i guess my second time will be much faster...
i ran arround in the car for a while and i noticed a significant different ,not that"wow effect" ,but i know it ll take some time for the ecu to adapt..at high RPMs..u feel the PULLING power of the car!...
i need to start data logging via the USB cable in order to send it to Terry ,installed the JB4 performance tuner software on my laptop ,how should i do the logging now? car stopped? how long?
What mods do you have? For me it was that "wow effect" because of the throttle response time, how fast the turbos spooled, the lack of oscillation of boost and much more consistent power.

For me, the JB3 was kind of hit or miss when it came to getting a good run.
(#588)
Old
M3 Eater (m3eater)

Car: 07 E90 Non Sport...Sleeper
Send a message via AIM to mobilefitt
Default 01-07-2011, 07:00 AM

I get to pack away the BT cable now. Got an alpha version of 01/01/11 firmware. No more chase the speedometer to jot down codes. I'm sure it works fine if you memorize the code #s and can anticipate which codes are coming but I'm all about just clicking the code read button. I could go on an on about why iove jb4 but code reading and clearing from jb4 interface is going to a ton of time.
(#589)
Old

Default 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
What mods do you have? For me it was that "wow effect" because of the throttle response time, how fast the turbos spooled, the lack of oscillation of boost and much more consistent power.

For me, the JB3 was kind of hit or miss when it came to getting a good run.
Its on stock,only added JB4,i guess it takes some time to feel that "hit" ,though i do feel that the car is faster..Terry said that i should expect 70-80 HP extra on stock if i was on map 1..i ll install my DCI soon ,so lets c how that combination will work...
(#590)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Its on stock,only added JB4,i guess it takes some time to feel that "hit" ,though i do feel that the car is faster..Terry said that i should expect 70-80 HP extra on stock if i was on map 1..i ll install my DCI soon ,so lets c how that combination will work...
Install the DCI and leave the cowling off while you do some runs, it sounds awesome!

Also if you have 93octane or higher bump it up to map two.
(#591)
Old
Vintage

Default 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Just got my JB4 i havent took it for a test drive just yet, took my time removing the old JB3, and re-wiring up the new Jb4 harness, now just playing around with the menus.

The harness wire change was a piece of cake, everything is numbered, and if you take your time, and count carefully double checking thing while you go along, it is truly a snap! Everything went extremely smooth installing the new power wire and swaping the 3 wires around.

Pulling the green power box out of its position and opening the small door is a big task in its own, at least for me it was. Get a flash light and some small tools, take your time as this was a PIA. once the box was out, everything else was super easy. Wrapped some tape around the female to male exposed power wires and it was good to go.

Ok now to the new dash menus!
Very cool and alot of options.

One thing i think that might need some work is maybe a bit longer of a delay when pressing both the 'volume' and 'selection' buttons down to enter the menu mode? For me as soon as i touch them it instantly goes into menu mode. Maybe a 1 second or 2 second delay of holding them down would work better so this isnt done on accident.
Also when exiting, i use the volume button to go down to zero, and when i press down again after zero on the volume side it goes out of the menu. The instructions say, different,not sure.

Must we select and use speedo 5 and the config gauges? What exactly is this for? I think when i selected it, the needle on both speedo and tach went to 12 oclock and such then exited the menu.

Everything else works incredibley smooth, and very easy to use! took me 5 minutes to udnerstand how to use the dash menu!! Very cool stuff!!

Terry thanks again and again for all your support/help and tuning. Will post a full review by this weekend or early next week.
time to go play.

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#592)
Old
Ma need more protein !

Car: 2009 335i x drive
Default 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Do you use the volume and channel down at the same time?

2009 335 xdrive - Muff Delete, JB4 (ALPHA), DCIs, V701 GM, CF Splitters, +mas
(#593)
Old

Default 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara
yes ,and then if u wanna save and it exit push volume up or down
(#594)
Old

Default 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Install the DCI and leave the cowling off while you do some runs, it sounds awesome!

Also if you have 93octane or higher bump it up to map two.
We have RON 98 octane in my country ,we call it "supper" ,which is literally the best gasoline u can get here ,so i am not sure if i should go up to map 2,Terry suggested sending some logs ,i still dont know how to do :p

u guys think i could go to map 2 safely?
I installed DCI today and sound feel GREAT!...also i feel that the car has a better breath...
how long would it take my ECU to adapt to JB4 and DCI?
(#595)
Old
Vintage

Default 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara
Yea, what i was saying was it happens too fast, as soon as i press them together it goes into menu mode... Maybe there SHOULD be a delay so that many people wont go into menu mode by accident? Just a suggestion.

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#596)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks, I'll consider it! But I personally sort of like the "lightning fast" response. You can switch maps in under 2 seconds that way.

Burger Motorsports

(#597)
Old

Car: E90 335xi 6MT
Default 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Terry, do you currently have any JB3 to JB4 upgrades available for those of us who purchased the JB3 after 9-15-10 (purchased on 10-22-10)? Thank you!
(#598)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Check the post titled "JB4 upgrades"...

Burger Motorsports

(#599)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
We have RON 98 octane in my country ,we call it "supper" ,which is literally the best gasoline u can get here ,so i am not sure if i should go up to map 2,Terry suggested sending some logs ,i still dont know how to do :p

u guys think i could go to map 2 safely?
I installed DCI today and sound feel GREAT!...also i feel that the car has a better breath...
how long would it take my ECU to adapt to JB4 and DCI?
Do you have the serial to usb connection? There is a logging guide on this forum somewhere.
(#600)
Old

Car: 135i Cabrio, 6sp, M-Sport
Default 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM

I have to apologize in advance for what is probably a stupid question, but here it goes:
I just got my JB4 today and it will be installed tomorrow morning. How do I get the latest software available? is 12/22/10 the latest version? Also, for future software upgrades, can I just leave the USB cable in the car or do I have to disassemble everything every time time I load an update? Thank you for your support.