N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 09 135i M-Sport
Default 11-15-2010, 01:44 PM

I understand where your coming from JPSLICK but if you notice they seemed just as perplexed as we do which leads me to believe them. The benefit of this mod is all I need to do is push a button between dyno pulls to confirm their butt dyno.

An undate of my boycott of Ridiculous priced aftermarket products: looks like two members have ordered and will test out the Jegs Oil Air Seperator basically a great looking OCC for $46 the question is if the acrylic will take the heat under our hood, And I might be looking at a summit racing or jegs oil cooler. For around $250 I can upgrade my stock one to a larger core and have an electric fan. I think I'll have to TIG weld an adaptor on the core to use the stock oil lines. I'm doing this because 1 I'm under the impression that the fittings on the core are BMW specific and not of the generic AN catagory. And 2 because I really don't want an oil line to pop off due to oil pressure. And I have confidence BMW took this into consideration in the original engineering.

If this all pans out it looks like you can save $700 on the intercooler $200 on the OCC and $400 on the Oil Cooler. For $1300 less you would have mods as good if not better than the current aftermarket offers without the ludacris BMW tax. Also the $369 open exhaust that's instantly reversable as opposed to a $500 muffler delete and another $500+ for the open midpipes.

Last edited by KC_skyrider; 11-15-2010 at 01:51 PM..
(#27)
Old
Holla

Car: 2009 335i 6MT
Default 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM

The question is did people FEEL the performance decrease, or was it proven on a dyno.

That is the question.

It also begs the question what tune they were using and if it was optimizing the benefits.
(#28)
Old
Joose Bocks

Car: 135, AT, JB3, DCI...
Default 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM

I dont know why on earth you would loose performance going with open cutouts.
Think about it, if your DME is smart enough to tune itself going from 4 cats on a stock restrictive exhaust to ******* *** and ******* Midpipes, why cant it do the same with cutouts? its the same **** just shift this analogy to a different application.
(#29)
Old

Car: 2009 135i 6mt 2011 m3 dct
Default 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM

I was flabergasted when I felt a SIGNIFICANT loss of power (40hp at least).

I was on vk dp's, ets fmic, 100% meth (m5), map9 18ohm.

I understand where jpslick is coming from but in such a mod I would be skeptical of gains as they would be small and thus hard to tell if it is true but when you feel a huge loss of power with no changes to conditions other than removing the exhaust I can say with confidence that it hurt performance.
(#30)
Old
SUPERMAN

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-15-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman

I understand where jpslick is coming from but in such a mod I would be skeptical of gains as they would be small and thus hard to tell if it is true but when you feel a huge loss of power with no changes to conditions other than removing the exhaust I can say with confidence that it hurt performance.
wait wait....are you saying you think you lost power after running open *********? i find that VERY hard to believe

(#31)
Old

Car: 08' BSM E82
Default 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM

nice! can't wait for your results! i found these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dJt_Ma5Pk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrV0WKyFnAs&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFymlf6d-fs

#21 of 194 ///MFest IV

Last edited by BSM 135i; 11-15-2010 at 09:15 PM..
(#32)
Old

Default 11-16-2010, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the vids but the only way to know for sure will be to hear it in person. Same for the power debate.
(#33)
Old
Holla

Default 11-16-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman

Maybe you did feel a loss, but as terry said feelings are for your girlfriend

No offense, seriously, but we had a guy on our last forum with a different car tell us that methanol did nothing for performance, dont bother, so the entire community took his word, after about 3 years, someone finally bit their tongue and said let me try, and found an extra 25 HP..... after that we were all like WTF why didnt we run methanol all this time, oh wait so and so said it has no gains.

Not saying your trying to pull this on us or not.... but physics and tuning wont allow cutouts to reduce performance, maybe some torque.

However I think optimally tuned on a dyno, it will show its true colors.

Maybe the Jb3 needed to adapt more, who the hell knows. Not going to start a tuning war. BTw as you know now an M5 is hardly adequate as it was thought out to be. You could have probably find some extra boost and HP with a bigger nozzle

I just dont want people dissuaded without proof. Again. no hard feelings, I respect your post and information.
(#34)
Old

Car: 2009 135i 6mt 2011 m3 dct
Default 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM

Could be but like I said, it felt huge.

Please make the joke
(#35)
Old

Default 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM

No Joke needed. I understand that I could be overlooking some factor that allows for a decrease in power. Also, another member confirmed this while running just DP's. So worst case senario I have a $369 megaphone on my exhaust for every civic that pulls up beside me. The only victory I couldn't get before was loudest car! Oh and everyone on the forum knows not to do this till they know why there is a loss of power.

Best case senario it works, maybe your butt dyno wasn't calibrated that day maybe something else effected the engine, maybe the DME was still hypoxic from all the freedom to breathe. Who knows if it works then everyone has a cheap track exhaust for half the cost of the competition and they don't have to sacrifice their pleasant drive to do it. Well, till you want the power
(#36)
Old
Joose Bocks

Default 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Again, it makes no sense. Does your car pick up power going from stock *** to cattless ***? of course... Thus you will pick up power going from closed cutouts to open, youre just opening up a restriction like any other part of your exhaust...

im 90% sure youll pick up power...
(#37)
Old

Default 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm confident enough that I bought this. However experience of the only people I know who have claimed to have these says otherwise. So we'll see. My biggest point is DON"T BUY THESE, till I can confirm details. No need to spend your money on my cheap mod till I can prove results. These are currently in the mail. Once they make it over the pond I'll install them and let everyone know. These forums have saved me enough money it's the least I can do.
(#38)
Old

Default 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Cut outs are in. Quality is average for the piping, The actuators look AWESOME. butterfly valve seems to have a perfect seal! Wireing kit is top notch as well and nice switch looks fairly OEM. Now I need to find a way to mount a triple gauge under my radio and leave the ashtra place open for switches so I can just flip my lid over them and cover all my goodies up. Hope to have them installed after turkey day and intime for a little 1 series drive through Bravaria.. Pray for clear skys I'd hate switching to winter tires the day before the drive. Square 235 cheapo winters just don't corner like Star Specs even in these temps
(#39)
Old
Call da Ambalamps

Car: 621whp/600tq MK4 Jetta and 135i
Default 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM

in for sound clips and DIY!
(#40)
Old
Holla

Default 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_skyrider
Cut outs are in. Quality is average for the piping, The actuators look AWESOME. butterfly valve seems to have a perfect seal! Wireing kit is top notch as well and nice switch looks fairly OEM. Now I need to find a way to mount a triple gauge under my radio and leave the ashtra place open for switches so I can just flip my lid over them and cover all my goodies up. Hope to have them installed after turkey day and intime for a little 1 series drive through Bravaria.. Pray for clear skys I'd hate switching to winter tires the day before the drive. Square 235 cheapo winters just don't corner like Star Specs even in these temps
Nice and pics?
(#41)
Old
Joose Bocks

Default 11-23-2010, 06:46 PM

pics!! sounds!!

vids!!

NAO!!
(#42)
Old
SUPERMAN

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-23-2010, 10:10 PM

link? i wanna try these out an put em on the dyno

(#43)
Old
Can I haz boost?

Car: 07 e92 335i
Default 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM

cant wait for the results!!

Current:
07 e92 BMW 335i 6spd: Injen Dual Cai, Charge Pipe, CP-E Exhaust, JB4
Previous:
2003 Acura RSX-S...400Whp Turbo...Sold...
(#44)
Old

Default 11-26-2010, 10:27 AM

I'll try to install tomorrow. As far as theories go I talked to my friend. Ferrari mechanic about the power debate. He had an interesting opinion. He said since they are parallel turbos and each is being ran of only 3 cylinders, it's possible to create too much FLOW "up until now I've only thought about pressure however flow is an issue as well" He said that with so little compressor mass it could be possible that it is losing velocity/momentum in between exhaust cycles. Since a full exhaust creates just a little resistance it makes the flow more steady. So if this theory is true you can gain more power with straight ***** than an open ********. The true is in the testing which I will do and share with everyone on here. Just be aware if I post a loss of power this is a very logical explaination why.
(#45)
Old

Default 11-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Well I put the car on a lift rewired my entire methanol system to go with my v1.07 upgrade, then I moved on to exhaust. There is no way to bolt this system directly on. It simply cannot clear the ground while mounting to a stock exhaust. So it does not meet the requirements for a cheap practical DIY project, however, I'm not giving up. I plan on going by an exhaust shop and talking to them about adding a bend to the midpipe between the DP and 2nd cats. This will hopefully allow enough room to mount my cutouts. If not I'll have to look at removing the 2nd cats to be able to fit this, and that's something I wanted to avoid altogether. Another possibility is to make custom dump ***** to attach the cutouts to using only the cutout mounting flange from the original dumps. I'll keep this posted but for now the project will take a bit longer.
(#46)
Old
Joose Bocks

Default 11-30-2010, 04:48 AM

Should be right after the *** for largest gains.
(#47)
Old

Default 11-30-2010, 09:08 AM

Def in for sound clips and what not.

N54 coupe coming soon
(#48)
Old
Holla

Default 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM

This is what was done on the e92 m3.

Guys as much as right after the DP would be the most ideal, an exhaust that is flowing easily, will still produce gains.

The only way a cutout wouldnt benefit as much is if it were going through several 90 degree bends, catalytic converters and or baffled resonators or mufflers.

Flow is Flow.
(#49)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM

That's the neatest one I've seen, there was one thread I saw with the valves hanging down like two dogs dicks.

Individual Velvet Blue Manual E90 335i M-Sport.
(#50)
Old

Car: 2015 F22 M235i
Default 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick

This is what was done on the e92 m3.

Guys as much as right after the DP would be the most ideal, an exhaust that is flowing easily, will still produce gains.

The only way a cutout wouldnt benefit as much is if it were going through several 90 degree bends, catalytic converters and or baffled resonators or mufflers.

Flow is Flow.
+1

2014 335i xDrive / Silver / ZF8 / M-Sport / 400M / BM3 2H Map / xHP Stage 3 / ATM FMIC / H&R Sports / VRSF **/CP