N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335xi coupe
Default Clutch delay valve modification - 10-05-2017, 08:00 AM

A couple people have said that on the 340 BMW built the CDV into the cylinder itself... but i can't actually find the source of this info.

Maybe one of you can help me figure this out... take a look here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=21_0260

Is #13 from that diagram the CDV? Here is a photo of that part:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/21526864478/

If that is the CDV, we should easily be able to modify/delete it.. no?

BSM 340i xDrive (6MT, M-Sport, etc)
---
datazap.me
(#2)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Bumping this thread.

Someone just responded to my post on another forum. He successfully solved this problem. This is definitely something I plan on doing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster
I finally got around to deleting my 340i CDV after a thread on that other BMW forum. Long story short, Yes you can do it, yes you should do it, and it’s very easy.

If you disconnect the inlet line going into the clutch slave cylinder: you’ll see a silver metal restrictor plate with a TINY hole in it and a black rubber piece that holds that metal restrictor in place. The first guy who found this out said he drilled his to have a larger hole but I decided to just throw away the metal restrictor and rubber piece. The line has its own o-ring that seals it so you don’t need these other two pieces. Just throw them away, re-connect the line, flush your fluid and you’re done. The shifting experience is night and day better. Not only is it so much smoother and easier to avoid jerky shifts, the clutch feels like it holds a lot more torque. I was having slipping issues with my car (only power mod is MPPSK) when launching but that has gone away entirely.

So far, the couple people who have done this including myself took the clutch slave out of the car. I suspect you may be able to leave it in the car and use a pick to pull out the restrictor and rubber piece but it will not be easy. I don’t think anyone has tried that yet to be sure. Taking the slave out and putting it back is a little bit of a pain but done within an hour or two on a lift with proper tools. It’s just difficult to reach the top bolt if I remember correctly.
In response to me wondering if #13 in that part list was the CDV he says:

Quote:
#13 is NOT the CDV. I had the same theory so I bought one to inspect and it has zero restriction in it. The only restriction is at the inlet to the slave and removing that gave me a heavier pedal with immediate response. I’m loving it. You may also want to get rid of the clutch pedal return spring while you’re trying to improve your shifting experience.

I asked him "Did you have a shift delay when going WOT and say shifting from 3rd to 4th? And if so, did this fix it? Back when I had my n54 there was a noticeable delay when shifting until the cdv was modified." and he says:

Quote:
Yes and yes, the delay valve makes sure that the clutch engages later and slower than what you're trying to do with your left foot. Now, the clutch seems to follow your foot immediately and it just GRABS even when you're being aggressive with it.

---
datazap.me
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-19-2018, 08:00 AM

You should do it and let us know!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Not sure when i'll have time to get on a lift but i definitely plan on doing it sooner than later

---
datazap.me
(#5)
Old

Car: 135is DCT
Default 08-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Any after effects once removed ?

any warrantee issues if bmw sees this !
(#6)
Old

Default 08-06-2018, 07:22 AM

Haven't had a chance to do it yet. But if you read the quotes from the guy who did from my post up above, he says it makes a big difference.

---
datazap.me
(#7)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i
Default 08-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon
Haven't had a chance to do it yet. But if you read the quotes from the guy who did from my post up above, he says it makes a big difference.
You're in CT right? Would love to get together and do both cars at some point
(#8)
Old

Default 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Whereabouts in CT are you? I was just going to have my shop do it at some point, it kind of sounds like a pain in the ass to do the bleeding with this car

---
datazap.me

Last edited by jpsimon; 08-06-2018 at 02:52 PM..
(#9)
Old

Default 08-07-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Whereabouts in CT are you? I was just going to have my shop do it at some point, it kind of sounds like a pain in the ass to do the bleeding with this car
I'm in Norwalk. Which shop do you use? I think we've run in the same circles a few times with past cars...
(#10)
Old

Default 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM

i'm up in Milford. I've just gone to this local german/foreign car service place (Helmuts Foreign Car Service) for a while now for everything from standard oil changes to installing my upgraded turbos on the old n54. It's not like a performance shop or anything, but the dude does good work.

---
datazap.me
(#11)
Old

Default 08-09-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
i'm up in Milford. I've just gone to this local german/foreign car service place (Helmuts Foreign Car Service) for a while now for everything from standard oil changes to installing my upgraded turbos on the old n54. It's not like a performance shop or anything, but the dude does good work.
let me know if you pull the trigger on doing this, I'd come up and he could bang both out