JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2017 v60 polestar
Default 03-28-2022, 10:23 PM

Does a jb4 allow for any sort of transmission tuning?
(#27)
Old

Car: 2017 v60 polestar
Default 03-28-2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iodoxy
Block for all 4-cylinder Volvo currently sold is B4204. The twin-charged car is sold with Polestar tune to 362 hp and 347 ft-lb torque (500 Nm). Given that car has a full factory warranty, a good educated guess is you could tune to 400 hp (10% over warranted).

While these engines probably cannot be tuned like an EA888 or B58 engine, a mild tune in boost is probably well within the limits of the engine.

A 40 hp increase on a 248 hp car is really only a 16% increase in power over stock.

Having owned many VW and Audi cars which all ran perfectly on ECU and piggyback tunes (Unitronic and Burger) the real concern is the drivetrain. Especially with the newer Audi/VW DSG, many top out at 400 or 500 Nm of rating for torque. The newer Haldex "Quattro Ultra" and 4Motion systems are difficult to find maximum ratings on.

Biggest problem, per your question is finding the data. Volvo sells less cars than VW/Audi and even the VW/Audi data is hard to find. Especially when it comes to ancillary parts (not the engine internals) that may respond badly to increased boost (bypass, fuel pump, injectors....).

I got the JB4 last week. Waiting to get P* optimization first, then I will install.
These engines are capable of so much more than we think. I refuse to believe that the fact that they share the same bore and stroke as the ea888 is a coincidence. They are open deck which has its limitations but as volvo proved in their prototyping for the polestar they can handle 50psi and 450hp ( We Drive Volvos Crazy Triple-Boosted 450-hp Four-Cylinder S60 ‚Äď¬*News ‚Äď¬*Car and Driver )

Heico offered a kit. Cant seem to find the exact one anymore that took the polestars to 400hp at 40psi.
These cars run 2bar or 30psi stock which is already pretty high. I wonder what the efficiency range of the turbo is because it seems like itís designed as a small form high pressure turbo. I donít know how different the concept engine is from the production one but I would like to assume its over built like some previous volvo engines.

As for the transmissions, they are rated for 350ft lbs but according to KT4 with a trans cooler they are capable of handling more. They said minimal launches and a trans cooler 450 to 500ft lbs should hold up for some time.

With the intercooler sold on Viva it states and increase in 20hp. The armaspeed intake states a gain of 8hp. I donít know if the gains will compound but I think it would be safe to assume that with an intake, intercooler, ******** and a jb4 getting close to the 450hp mark doesnít sound too far fetched. The worry then becomes what the stock pistons and rods can handle.
( Performance Intercooler, Volvo S60/V60, XC60, S80, V70/XC70 - ViVA Performance )
( VOLVO V60 POLESTAR_dyno - ARMASPEED )
( https://staticmotorsports.com/produc...-carbon-intake )
( https://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/ne...ver-106116.pdf )
(#28)
Old

Car: 2015.5 Volvo 2.0L T6 S60
Default 05-17-2022, 08:45 PM

Greetings, the JB4 Volvo unit has certainly been a popular topic on SwedeSpeed and FB today. I currently own a Hilton tuned 2015.5 S60 T6 2.0L FWD and was wondering if I could use the JB4 unit in conjunction with Stage with torque limiter delete? The B4204T9 was recently serviced for Pistons/Rings/Big End Bearings and the only other non factory engine mods are a Polestar filter and GFB diverter valve.

Thanks for your time and good luck with Bera testing!

Matt
(#29)
Old

Car: 2015.5 Volvo 2.0L T6 S60
Default 05-17-2022, 08:51 PM

Greetings, the JB4 Volvo unit has certainly been a popular topic on SwedeSpeed and FB today. I currently own a Hilton tuned 2015.5 S60 T6 2.0L FWD and was wondering if I could use the JB4 unit in conjunction with Stage 1/ torque limiter delete? The B4204T9 recently had the TJ performed for pistons/rings/big end bearings and the only other engine mods are A GFB diverter valve and P* filter.

Thanks for your time and best of luck with your BEtA testing!

Matt
(#30)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoS60T6
Greetings, the JB4 Volvo unit has certainly been a popular topic on SwedeSpeed and FB today. I currently own a Hilton tuned 2015.5 S60 T6 2.0L FWD and was wondering if I could use the JB4 unit in conjunction with Stage 1/ torque limiter delete? The B4204T9 recently had the TJ performed for pistons/rings/big end bearings and the only other engine mods are A GFB diverter valve and P* filter.

Thanks for your time and best of luck with your BEtA testing!

Matt
The JB4 is a tuning tool that can be used with any flash map. You'd want to record a log on map0 so we can evaluate the flash side and then determine how much boost to try to add, what the octane level will safely support.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.