N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default Reduced power warning, 30fe code, and a glitch JB4 - 03-15-2017, 05:02 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post.

I have a 2008 335i which has done roughly 55,000 miles.

A few months ago I fitted a Jb4 G5. The install was very simple and all went smoothly. The car felt amazing and wheel span at every opportunity.

one day (about a week or so ago) I was driving to work and decided to check which map I was using (I often switch between map 1 and map 5, but I still cant tell a difference). when I exited out of the JB4 menu the tachometer was stuck in its current state and would not move. I played about with it entering and exiting the menu and eventually it went back to normal and was moving. About 5 minutes later I had the dreaded "engine fault, reduced power!" come up on the idrive. I did my work shift, got back in the car and noticed it was gone. I drove back home and all was as normal again.

Eventually it happened again and became more frequent, usually when in sport mode at high RPMs. Its now gotten to the point where it happens everyday too and from work. sometimes i'll switch the car off at a set of traffic lights to clear the code but it shortly comes back again a few yards up the road.

Today I bypassed the JB4 (map 0) and the problem still happened, This time in drive mode at low RPM (about 1500-2000)

so...

INPA has shown a few codes, one in particular is the 30fe (over boost) code.

I was also suspect that the HPFP was on its way out as it has been taking longer to start the engine recently, not by much though. But sometimes its starts quickly.

I've checked all the vacuum lines and they all seem fine.

I recently installed VRSF down ***** and took the opportunity to inspect the wastegates whilst they were exposed and they also seemed fine.

Bmw tells me that its had recall work done on the injectors so we can rule that out. They also denied any knowledge of the HPFP warranty.

I will clean the Tmap sensor possibly tomorrow and try to inspect the wastegate solenoids but apart from that im fresh out of ideas. The glitchy JB4 I find peculiar.
I'm hoping Terry from BMS can chime in on this.

I should probably add that the problems came about a few days after doing the Aplina flash. Has anyone else ad issues with this mod?

The car is running Jb4 g5, VRSF down *****, K&N panel filter, and Alpina B3 Transmission flash.

I plan on fitting a new chargepipe, diverter valves and BMS DCI at the end of the month.

Any ideas?

Thanks
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 03-15-2017, 10:17 PM

Can I get the clif notes and a log of the issue? Thanks

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-16-2017, 02:25 AM

Of course. Could you please explain how I go about getting this information?
(#4)
Old

Default 03-16-2017, 03:53 AM

I have just ordered the BMS Data cable as i'll assume thats what i need for data logging?

Will I have to do anything to create logs or will they already be on the JB4?
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Yes, the cable will enable you to take logs. That is what we need to see.

Here are the directions for connecting and logging.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=1

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old

Default Data Logs - 03-19-2017, 09:46 AM

Here are the data logs. I couldn't get the car up to 7000rpm on the first log because it went into limp mode. The 40-110 log was successful however.

The car also threw some codes:

30FE Boost over target
3100 low boost mode engaged -- CEL displayed
2DC3 Control clamp 15

I'm not sure what you meant by Clif note so I didnt do that.

I hope there is enough data here.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 3rd gear wot.csv (18.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: csv 40-110mph.csv (17.0 KB, 71 views)
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Menu4 set to 2 for a back end flash but no back end flash is loaded. Change menu4 to setting 3.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 03-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Seriously? Is this what the problem has been all along?
(#9)
Old

Default 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Holy crap! It actually worked!! Thank you so much!!
(#10)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 328xi and 2007 BMW 335i
Default 03-19-2017, 11:35 AM

I can't post my own post yet but I just installed the jb4 on my 2007 335i and I put it on my one and at 4900 it's at 9lbs of boost and at 5100 it jumps to 18+ boost and puts me in limp Mode I have no idea what to do.
I did a 40-100 and I did 3 gear 2k-7k and this is what happened
Attached Images

(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxlee
Holy crap! It actually worked!! Thank you so much!!
Yep... How did you miss it? It's in bright red text next to the firmware with a warning.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Default 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yep... How did you miss it? It's in bright red text next to the firmware with a warning.
Haha, clearly im not very observant. Thanks again!
(#13)
Old

Car: 2008 Bmw 335xi
Default 05-13-2019, 07:15 AM

Installed jb4 on my 2008 n54. When I floor it, engine reduced appears ONLY when I’m using the jb4 on any map. When I turn off the maps, and the jb4 isn’t engages & floor it, it’s fine and nothing appears. The code appears as 30FE and goes in limp mode. But without jb4 it’s fine. Any suggestions?