N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#351)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 550xi
Default 02-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovik92
Hey guys, I have a couple quick questions before I jump on a JB4 Beta. I currently have a JB Stage 2 but i am only running it as a stage one because my DME harnesses are loose and I am afraid to tap into them. I am considering switching to a JB4 Beta for more power using maps 1 and 2. I have a couple of questions. Will I feel a large difference going from my Stage 1 setup to a map 1 and map 2 On a JB4 Beta? Also, can I run 25-30% e85 mix on Map 2? And does anyone have any dyno sheets on Maps 1& 2? (With or without e85 mix)

Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate any help.

EDIT***: will a JB4 Beta remove the CEL for ******* down *****?
I currently have the JB4 Beta + BCM. Map 1 and Map 2 for me personally didn't feel that much of a big difference. However, when I added in the BCM and switched to Map 7....well that's a different story...big difference from Map 2...and I also typically run some E85 when using either map 2 or map 7...

There is also a clear code function which I believe will clear CEL when using *********. Might need clarification on that part as I am not sure if it auto clears ALL codes or JUST the codes related to *********
(#352)
Old

Car: 2010 535
Default 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly550xi
I currently have the JB4 Beta + BCM. Map 1 and Map 2 for me personally didn't feel that much of a big difference. However, when I added in the BCM and switched to Map 7....well that's a different story...big difference from Map 2...and I also typically run some E85 when using either map 2 or map 7...

There is also a clear code function which I believe will clear CEL when using *********. Might need clarification on that part as I am not sure if it auto clears ALL codes or JUST the codes related to *********
What do you need to switch the Maps?

2012 550i M sport - JB stage 1
(#353)
Old

Car: BMW 650i F13
Default 03-04-2018, 05:57 PM

Hello ! could anyone tell me what code 120708 and 130708 represents? and since I installed the firmware '2_t3, I have the ******* codes 180008 and 180101 that appear (never on the firmware' _2b) is this normal? Thank you for your answers !
(#354)
Old

Car: BMW 650i F13
Default 03-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Hi @Terry,

What do you think of this log?

Setup: jb4 beta kit+bcm, **'s, NGK Plugs, BMS meth kit 2xcm7, E30 mixture. Weather 10įC/50įF

Thank you for your answer!
Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-03-05 16_17_02Map_6.csv (4.6 KB, 103 views)
(#355)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N63_Swiss
Hi @Terry,

What do you think of this log?

Setup: jb4 beta kit+bcm, **'s, NGK Plugs, BMS meth kit 2xcm7, E30 mixture. Weather 10įC/50įF

Thank you for your answer!
Regards,
Looks about as good as can be expected on the N63 setup. Stepping up to CM10 nozzles might be worth it.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#356)
Old

Car: 2012 550i M Sport
Default 04-21-2018, 03:11 PM

Hey Terry, I have a n63 jb4 stage 1. I tried to update the firmware to (jb4_n63_obdII_2_t4.hex) but the update keeps failing and says there is no firmware on the jb4. Is there another update firmware that I need? or the factory version I can download. thank you
(#357)
Old

Car: F10 550i
Default 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Terry @BMS lease reach out to me when you can, I have a '11 550i in 6 SPEED Manual Transmission with stage one bms chip that I bought from you guys. wanting to upgrade to JB4 and run e85 30% mix. what all do I need for supporting mods to produce reliable power?
(#358)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyc123abc
Hey Terry, I have a n63 jb4 stage 1. I tried to update the firmware to (jb4_n63_obdII_2_t4.hex) but the update keeps failing and says there is no firmware on the jb4. Is there another update firmware that I need? or the factory version I can download. thank you
Do you have a Stage 1 or a Jb4? Jb4 has OBD2 connector for canbus.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#359)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-02-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaad
Terry @BMS lease reach out to me when you can, I have a '11 550i in 6 SPEED Manual Transmission with stage one bms chip that I bought from you guys. wanting to upgrade to JB4 and run e85 30% mix. what all do I need for supporting mods to produce reliable power?
Just going from stage 1 to Jb4 is a big jump in power, good fuel is the most important.

Burger Motorsports

(#360)
Old

Car: F10 550i
Default 05-03-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
I have stage one. what is the upgrade cost? how do. I do it? we have very good quality e85 with usually 83-87% ethanol content. Is it better to use 93 Oct or 91oct for the 30 mix?
(#361)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-03-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaad
I have stage one. what is the upgrade cost? how do. I do it? we have very good quality e85 with usually 83-87% ethanol content. Is it better to use 93 Oct or 91oct for the 30 mix?
Email Sales@burgertuning for upgrade cost. For now 93 octane until we some logs, you should be okay. Ethanol blends are still in development.

Burger Motorsports

(#362)
Old

Car: 2012 550i M Sport
Default 05-09-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Hey Terry,

I had a stage 1 that i tried to update the firmware from this thread and I guess its bricked now. Anyway to send it in to get repaired?

I also already bought the upgrade board with obd2 cable and its all hooked up and working. The only thing is on map 1 and 2 when Im on the gas the car bogs down and i have to put it on map4 (stock) which runs fine. I will get a log and post it up.
(#363)
Old

Car: 550
Default 06-07-2018, 09:11 PM

Is the latest firmware the one listed at the start of this thread? If not, where would I locate the latest?

Thanks!
(#364)
Old

Default 06-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The firmware is not in the first post to avoid people loading it on the wrong system, but you can always email in for it.
Terry,

(late to the party on this post)

Being current often accounts for things learned, would suggest:

Some quick/fast/easy reference means to determine if one is on the latest version of the software for their unit and motor. Suspect that as you all determine newer/better values, algorithms, etc. that having the latest (for those of us who may enjoy the "set it and forget it") would at least be using the 'currently preferred' values. Even better would be some collusion between BMS and the app author to have a notice come up when there is new version and an option to download and update without going through the forums/support/etc.

At least knowing that folks are "on the latest" should make supporting the platform(s) easier. That's just my $0.02...

Thanks!
(#365)
Old

Default Mounting Location - 06-11-2018, 03:36 PM

All,

The current mounting suggestion (for those with the 2011 550i xDrive) may find that trying to place it under the cowl on the passenger side - is a bit too tight. Found that it's actually impacting the ability to close the hood (won't close without actually pushing down above each of the locking points). Hoping that someone may have located an alternative location or mounting option(s) - as to remove the compression created by the increased height.

Was looking at possibly of somehow making use of the large cavity below the hood's hinge (below/between hood hinge and blower), but not sure if more exposure to the elements would become problematic.

Thanks!

FYI - Just as reference, it's actually causing the passenger side of the hood to be raised (noticeably) vs. the driver's side. If you look at the gap between the fenders and the hood - it's about 1/3 'larger' at the passenger windshield vs. driver's side. If I drop the unit in the cavity under the hood hinge, the gap does back to normal/matching the driver's side and is consistent down to the headlights.

Last edited by justme; 06-11-2018 at 05:22 PM..
(#366)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-11-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
All,

The current mounting suggestion (for those with the 2011 550i xDrive) may find that trying to place it under the cowl on the passenger side - is a bit too tight. Found that it's actually impacting the ability to close the hood (won't close without actually pushing down above each of the locking points). Hoping that someone may have located an alternative location or mounting option(s) - as to remove the compression created by the increased height.

Was looking at possibly of somehow making use of the large cavity below the hood's hinge (below/between hood hinge and blower), but not sure if more exposure to the elements would become problematic.

Thanks!

FYI - Just as reference, it's actually causing the passenger side of the hood to be raised (noticeably) vs. the driver's side. If you look at the gap between the fenders and the hood - it's about 1/3 'larger' at the passenger windshield vs. driver's side. If I drop the unit in the cavity under the hood hinge, the gap does back to normal/matching the driver's side and is consistent down to the headlights.
Post some pictures so we can see what's going on.

Burger Motorsports

(#367)
Old

Default 06-12-2018, 08:08 AM

Passenger and driver side - tried to take from same angle. When standing and looking from each side - it becomes quite obvious that something is "pushing upwards" on the passenger side.

Including two more pics - one to show how raised the cowl is - this is after sitting all night with the hood closed and after morning sun heating up the hood and cowl (should have softened a bit to enable/allow crushing). The other one is the cavity "below" the hood hinge. The photo doesn't do justice for the volume of space between the large wire bundle and the firewall below the hinge stop.

Was thinking about something like pipe insulation with the sticky joining material - you can pick up it in 8-12 foot lengths and in diameters of 1/2 to 1 inch usually. Thinking was to create "bumpers" on each end of the JB4 to protect it from flying around in this cavity. Then using the two remaining holes for zip ties so that it "hangs" below where the hinge stop is located. Only concern is how water tight is the unit? I did rest the unit in this cavity and the bluetooth worked without issue from the driver's position. When I first removed this cowl, there was some water and a ton of dried leaves down there. A few minutes with compressor + air sprayer and the area was clear of debris. I believe the unit to the right is the blower and there's an electrical junction box on top.
Attached Images

(#368)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-12-2018, 10:59 AM

If the billet enclosure is fully sealed you should be able to put it on the side so it can close.

Burger Motorsports

(#369)
Old

Default 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM

The enclosure appears to be 'mostly' sealed. There is a wire tap that is on the outside which could present an issue. I'm thinking that a little flexible silicon on/around things should help to ensure that it's sealed. Would just have to peel it off if anything needed to be serviced.

If one adds the BCM, what needs to be done? eg: might need to wait until after the BCM is installed to make sure that I'm not ripping apart again.
(#370)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
The enclosure appears to be 'mostly' sealed. There is a wire tap that is on the outside which could present an issue. I'm thinking that a little flexible silicon on/around things should help to ensure that it's sealed. Would just have to peel it off if anything needed to be serviced.

If one adds the BCM, what needs to be done? eg: might need to wait until after the BCM is installed to make sure that I'm not ripping apart again.
For BCM install you will have to open the case, remove the board from the harness. Insert the Blue pin to slot 1 on the DB 25.

Burger Motorsports

(#371)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi E90
Exclamation 06-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Helly Terry,

Just got my JB4 with the OBDII installed, just wondering a few things coming feom a JB4ed 335:

What is the best map for 94 octane and D.P.s?
Is there an auto tune map like for the 335?
Are there good default settings for a new install?

The car went into limp mode (limiting propulsion or something like that). With default settings it seems weird... Need help with this

BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag

Last edited by SINasTER; 06-26-2018 at 05:40 PM..
(#372)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM

Record a JB4 log on map1 and read the fault codes if you want us to check it out!

Burger Motorsports

(#373)
Old

Question 06-27-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Record a JB4 log on map1 and read the fault codes if you want us to check it out!
Always used map 1... I have now a problem each time I want to push the car, I get drivetrain malfunctions. Tried to attached a pic and the limit of the forum is too low so I canít.

Errors I get when pushing it harder than 50% throttle:
20A5
F082

These errors are from the JB4 app and none of them have available descriptions.

Basically I canít use the car like I would want to with the JB4 installed, I could push it harder before I had it, so, kinda like a waste of money and time for now and until we can figure why itís causing so much errors and particularly drivetrain errors which makes it go into limp mode.

The only log I could do is in attachment, but. Itís not much since itís going into limp mode all the time.

By the way, the install was done by a professional, so I doubt he messed things up but hey, could happen.

Thank for your help
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-06-27 10_05_28.csv (7.1 KB, 55 views)

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#374)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Did you select F series in app before reading codes? They should be 6 digits long on N63.

Burger Motorsports

(#375)
Old

Default 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Did you select F series in app before reading codes? They should be 6 digits long on N63.
I tried to find the place to specify the engine and revision but seems like it either disappeared or was moved... canít find it anywhere and read somewhere that with the latest version of the app, this is done automatically.

Where do I change this?

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels