N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default Wastegate Rattle FIX for $3.40 - 09-25-2017, 10:30 AM

*** This method is a temporary fix for someone that has tried all other fixes for wastegate rattle. I am not responsible if you damage anything doing this! Use at your discretion***

Hello all! I’ve had my 2008 BMW 335i for about a month now, but the dreaded wastegate rattle is absolutely killing me! I replaced all vacuum lines, performed a smoke test, replaced boost solenoids, etc etc, to try to properly fix this. After following Mr. 5’s thread on wastegate arm adjustment (about 1.5 turns), I noticed a very slight decrease in sound, however I did notice an increase of boost response. Since I still had a very large amount of rattle, I decided to look further into this. I bought the JB4 tune, and am very happy with it. I messed with the wastegate position (menu 10) and the only position where I wouldn’t have any rattle, was when the tachometer was set at 1000 rpm. Obviously, this caused ENORMOUS turbo lag. I really missed how my turbo started spooling at 2000, so this was just a temporary fix until I save up enough money for a new turbo, or find a new temporary fix.

So, long story short, I found this thread which claimed to find a “redneck approach” to solving this rattle. This had me interested! There were very many positive comments, so I decided to give it a try.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842850

I purchased a similar sized spring from Lowes, drove back home, let my car cool down overnight, and put the spring on. I attached one end onto the heat-shield, and the other onto the thread right next to the 10mm nut so it would stay in place.

I started her up in accessory mode, made sure I was on the default settings for menu 10 and 12, and started her up. Just like that, ALL my rattle was absolutely GONE. Now my car drives how it should, building boost in the low end and not hearing tin cans under the hood. I drove it for 30 minutes, got on and off max boost several times, came home, and checked on the spring. Everything looked great, it didn’t move at all. I know this is a temporary solution, but so far its the best one I’ve seen! Many thanks to musseilm from e90post.

Things about the spring: There is VERY LIGHT tension at resting point when the spring is “mounted”. This ensures that there isn’t much interference of normal wastegate motion.

PICTURES OF SPRING AND INSTALLATION
https://imgur.com/a/0MSMz
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM

I tried a similar approach with the same success you had in the short term. I found that looping the spring under the turbo outlet put a more perpendicular force on the rod vs the angle from above. Eventually my rattle came back though..... Obviously this can only help the rear turbo. I later found the alternate algorithm option in FutureUseD worked better.

I can't say for sure, but I think it did slightly impede the WG arm, because my FF kept going up until it eventually hit 150.

Here is my original thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39861

VW guys with similar issues put shims/lock nut washers to tighten up the hinges, but I don't think its been tried with N54.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM

I see how you did that, good job! That's unfortunate that your rattle came back... I was able to completely eliminate rattle from using menu 10 on the jb4, but it created too much turbo lag, so I wanted a different solution.
How many miles did you drive before the rattle came back? Was it as bad as before? Do you think since the spring slightly increases pressure on the bushing, that the friction wore it out quicker?

I'm still very new to the 335 scene (and turbo scene), so what is FF and FutureUseD?

Thanks for your input!
(#4)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry
I'm still very new to the 335 scene (and turbo scene), so what is FF and FutureUseD?

Thanks for your input!
Feed Forward, and FUD is an alternate context menu within the JB4 interface allowing various parameters to be set. There is a FUD value for alternative wastegate operation.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#5)
Old

Default 09-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Ah I see, thank you. The JB4 interface is reached by using the laptop software and connecting the logging cable from the jb4 to a laptop, right?
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i sedan
Default 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Ah I see, thank you. The JB4 interface is reached by using the laptop software and connecting the logging cable from the jb4 to a laptop, right?
Yes. just follow ShocknAwe's directions and you'll be fine. The algorithm is way better than menu 10 settings. Matter of fact, when you're done applying the algorithm set menu 10 back to default. It is pointless to use after the wg algorithm is applied. It works perfectly. I use it also. A little rattle on acceleration but none on decel on 100k mile turbos with no lag. It's pretty much the best JB4 feature for stock rattling turbos. It also deepens your exhaust tone.
(#7)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I see how you did that, good job! That's unfortunate that your rattle came back... I was able to completely eliminate rattle from using menu 10 on the jb4, but it created too much turbo lag, so I wanted a different solution.
How many miles did you drive before the rattle came back? Was it as bad as before? Do you think since the spring slightly increases pressure on the bushing, that the friction wore it out quicker?
I put the hook in the new position in the summer and it made a huge difference. Drove the car all winter with the windows up, and when the next spring came around and I put the windows down again for nice weather, the rattle was back and worse than before, mainly decel rattle. Took the spring out and used the alternate anti-rattle algorithm and that masked it.

Not sure if it wore out more or just changed. I think it is more likely the front turbo just started rattling so much the noise was unavoidable. Still hitting full boost and no smoke so turbo itself is still good.