N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 335i Coupe, 2006 X3
Default Remanufactured injector and seals? - 04-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Hi all,
I've got a 2009 335i 100k mi. Started missing and going into limp home mode. Replaced coils and plugs before getting a scanner and discovering a code indicating bad injector.
My injectors are 13537585261-06.
After doing a lot of reading, I have learned that if I buy a new injector it will new-generation (index 11 or 12), so I can't just order a single new injector and mix it in with the old ones.
Normally I wouldn't mess around with used parts like this, but I'm not wanting to buy a whole set of injectors right now. I ordered a "remanufactured" injector off ebay, assuming the "remanufacturing" process would include a new seal, but the seller says it does not come with a seal. I'm prepared to code for the new injector, but I'm concerned about the seal.
I watched a youtube video that shows a guy using some special tools to swap seals on injectors, but I'm not finding much other information about replacing the seals. From what I can tell, new injectors come with a compression cap to keep the seal squeezed until just prior to installing the injector. And it seems to me that forcing a new seal over the end of the injector would result in a stretched seal.
Can the seals be installed by a hack like me without the special tools? Or am I going to need to take this injector to a shop to have the seal installed?
Thanks!
Walter
(#2)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 04-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Remanufactured injectors sound sketchy but otherwise, the tool is $200.

The cap would be handy to use it to compress it but there's probably something else you can use. They're basically just stepped down collars you slide on & off one at a time in sequential order. I don't remember off hand but probably beveled some on the inside edge for getting it in initially before sliding down.

For getting the seal on, they have a brass wedege you slide it up and over the top. Easier than by hand but doable by pushing it on by hand. Helps to try on one side and then flip it over and push the rest of the way up.

I had also, before having set them correctly, put 3 in by just pushing them on & then sliding the cap over & then putting them in. When I removed them to do it correctly after I received another 3 injectors, it looked like they probably would have been fine.
(#3)
Old
Ballin' out of control.

Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 04-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil
Hi all,
I've got a 2009 335i 100k mi. Started missing and going into limp home mode. Replaced coils and plugs before getting a scanner and discovering a code indicating bad injector.
My injectors are 13537585261-06.
After doing a lot of reading, I have learned that if I buy a new injector it will new-generation (index 11 or 12), so I can't just order a single new injector and mix it in with the old ones.
Normally I wouldn't mess around with used parts like this, but I'm not wanting to buy a whole set of injectors right now. I ordered a "remanufactured" injector off ebay, assuming the "remanufacturing" process would include a new seal, but the seller says it does not come with a seal. I'm prepared to code for the new injector, but I'm concerned about the seal.
I watched a youtube video that shows a guy using some special tools to swap seals on injectors, but I'm not finding much other information about replacing the seals. From what I can tell, new injectors come with a compression cap to keep the seal squeezed until just prior to installing the injector. And it seems to me that forcing a new seal over the end of the injector would result in a stretched seal.
Can the seals be installed by a hack like me without the special tools? Or am I going to need to take this injector to a shop to have the seal installed?
Thanks!
Walter
I just replaced three index 06 injectors in my 2009 yesterday and had to replace the seal on a brand new index 12 injector because I forgot to install the decoupling ring and had to replace the seal prior to re-installation.

The part number for the BMW fuel injector ring tool is 83300495756. You can also search for the Assenmacher 130190.

With the tool, seal replacement takes just a few minutes. The tool kit includes a bullet shaped jig which is beveled on one end to mate perfectly with the injector tip. This allows you to slide the new seal onto the injector. It can be purchased separately for ~$37.00. The part number is 83300495761. Refer to the Bentley manual for seal replacement instructions.

Barring purchase of the tool, my best suggestion is to purchase the jig and once the seal is on, install the injector immediately. With the actual toolkit, there are three other jigs which are used to firmly squeeze the seal. The third being is used as a "cap", similar to those found on new injectors which is removed prior to installation.

Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
(#4)
Old

Default 04-25-2016, 07:12 PM

Well, shoot. I really don't want to buy the tools. I figured "remanufactured" really just means 'tested and seal replaced'. There's a YouTube injector video where the guy got "remanufactured" injectors and they had new seals installed.
New injectors have seals installed and a metal compression hat on them right? Maybe I'll look for a used/reman injector that does have a seal preinstalled.
I wouldn't mind buying the tools if I had were replacing all injectors, but I'm really hoping I can just do the one...
(#5)
Old

Car: E92
Default 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM

FWIW, my Indy put a new index 12 in with my index 9s in the same bank and car ran fine. I know it says not to mix and match....Just reporting what happened on my car.
(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM

The tool compresses the seal before you insert the injector it so it doesn't catch/roll/bend when you push the injector in. You compress with tool, quickly install, and then the seal expands again within a few minutes to seal fully. That is the concept anyway.

I had an injector replaced with a used-good one at Helix, and they didn't replace the seal. Not sure if they did the compression routine either. I had asked them to.
(#7)
Old

Default 04-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Thanks all. I rechecked with the seller; he thought I meant the decoupling element, and now says the seal is included, so fingers crossed.
The single injector is cheap enough that I'm willing to see how this 'remanufactured' injector works and hope that it's an isolated failure. I looked into the injector recall, and my car was built almost a year after the recall period.
(#8)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Are your reman injectors still working

07' 335xi, VVT Stage 2, Meth CM10, Stage 2 LPFP, JB4 Race BEF, JB4 G5, gutted stock downs, 2nd Delete, Alpina B3 Trans, JB4 Anti Lag, Phoenix Race IC, MMP AL inlets, VVT AL Outlet
(#9)
Old

Default 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM

I've got 2 used injectors in it now (long story, but only one of them was actually bad). Had an issue with one of them throwing some errors. I complained to the seller and they sent another injector, which has been working fine.
But regardless of the seller's claims, I'm pretty sure there is really no such thing as "remanufactured" injectors. Unless your definition of 'rebuilding' consists of removing the injector from an engine and putting the injector in a box.
My main concern was reused seals, and I'm still a little nervous about having used seals in such a critical high stress application. But so far, in my experience, the used seals are holding up. The seller claimed that the seals were new, but it would be hard to verify.
IMO no point in paying a premium for a 'remanufactured' label. If you're not getting new injectors, just buy "used" as long as they come with the protective aluminum cap. Supposedly the seals are kept compressed by the hat and the injectors need to be installed immediately after the hat is removed.
I don't have a lot of data to support my opinions, but I would personally be very uncomfortable installing an injector where the seal hasn't been treated nicely. My thought is that the ones that DO have the hat installed were probably removed as part of service or recall, and the hat transferred straight from the new seal to the old seal. And I think (or hope??? just my speculation) that these were probably handled by techs that care about the seals, rather than some hack at a wrecking yard that removes the parts and throws them in a big box.

Last edited by wamcneil; 04-25-2017 at 08:07 AM..
(#10)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil
I've got 2 used injectors in it now (long story, but only one of them was actually bad). Had an issue with one of them throwing some errors. I complained to the seller and they sent another injector, which has been working fine.
But regardless of the seller's claims, I'm pretty sure there is really no such thing as "remanufactured" injectors. Unless your definition of 'rebuilding' consists of removing the injector from an engine and putting the injector in a box.
My main concern was reused seals, and I'm still a little nervous about having used seals in such a critical high stress application. But so far, in my experience, the used seals are holding up. The seller claimed that the seals were new, but it would be hard to verify.
IMO no point in paying a premium for a 'remanufactured' label. If you're not getting new injectors, just buy "used" as long as they come with the protective aluminum cap. Supposedly the seals are kept compressed by the hat and the injectors need to be installed immediately after the hat is removed.
I don't have a lot of data to support my opinions, but I would personally be very uncomfortable installing an injector where the seal hasn't been treated nicely. My thought is that the ones that DO have the hat installed were probably removed as part of service or recall, and the hat transferred straight from the new seal to the old seal. And I think (or hope??? just my speculation) that these were probably handled by techs that care about the seals, rather than some hack at a wrecking yard that removes the parts and throws them in a big box.
That sucks, thanks for the info, I will be buying the tool and new seals with my supposedly re manufactured injectors. At least they at -12.

07' 335xi, VVT Stage 2, Meth CM10, Stage 2 LPFP, JB4 Race BEF, JB4 G5, gutted stock downs, 2nd Delete, Alpina B3 Trans, JB4 Anti Lag, Phoenix Race IC, MMP AL inlets, VVT AL Outlet