N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#76)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 10-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Interesting to say the least! I have noticed while using the ppk flash with the jb4 on e40 my HPFP values have been 13-15....considerably higher then the old Cobb BMS BEF files which would run 10-12 on my car same boost. How does your car drive with the e diff disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyap
There's been some talk on here of N55 E misfires and errors in the COBB BEFs so I thought it was worth posting how I solved mine as it may support the MHD development.

I do use my own BEF so there are quite a few differences to the BMS and FuelIt versions and I also think, where possible, this means the errors in the COBB OTS maps were corrected. What I've listed below though is the parameter which I think impacts misfires:-

What I found was that with without a BEF the HPFP values under full load show considerably higher than with a high load BEF. This is from memory, so these figures may not be 100% accurate but, without a BEF and the JB targetting say 20 psi the HPFP will be at 14 whereas, with a high load BEF and no other changes the HPFP drops to 11.

The 11 is right on the limit of what works OK so as soon as anything impact this, for example, a loss of traction, the value can drop sub 11 inducing misfires.

By reducing the Load Ceiling Main in the flash and thus reducing the amount of boost seen by the DME, the HPFP increases and can accommodate more fluctuations.

Form memory, the BMS high load flash uses a Load Ceiling Main of 180 and the FuelIt 200. Dropping to 150 increases the HPFP value under load to 12 maybe even 13 and the misfires are gone. For me this even allows traction control to intervene (which the high load BEFs really seemed to not like) and there are no problems.

Lowering the Load Ceiling Main does have other knock on effects though, so for example, fuelling in the BEF needs to be adjusted and for PI I needed to change the JB4 Fuel Bias otherwise trims would be way out.

There's also other things to consider. For DCT guys, DME boost impact DCT plate pressure. Form what I know, DCT plate pressure caps out at around a DME boost figure of 21psi. 200 on the load ceiling main, assuming other tables to do reduce boost, results in this. I think 180 is around 20 and the 150 I quoted above around 14. These are only approx but, what it does mean is that DCT guys may experience slip with a lower Load Ceiling Main value.

150 for me works OK but it does vary car to car and I know for others 150 at high boost results in slip. I am however not running the stock DCT flash so that may also be helping.

There's also something else at play. For example, if I run 140, at around 4 to 5K revs going WOT, the car will quite abruptly back off the power. Exactly the same as if you lift your foot quickly off the accelerator. There are no codes though. In summer, 150 at 23 psi solved this but not a 25psi. 155 at 25 psi solved it, but now the weather's colder and the car produces more power, I'm getting it at 155. Moving to 160 has resolved it but, for me, this is borderline where the misfires start.

There's also been some talk of back pressure, which may be a cause however, I don't think it's ** related. Yes, a c'less ** impacts positively but there was no change in misfires between the one I'm now running and stock.

With the setup as per my signature and a load ceiling main of 150 summer and 160 now the weather's getting colder, I can happily run 25 or 26 psi without issues - this is with 40 to 50% E, whereas the Fuelit and BMS BEFs can result in misfires if the boost target is set to >20psi. As I put at the start, this is based on my own BEF however, I have tried using the reduced Load Ceiling Main value on the BMS and FuelIt maps and it does seem to help.

What would be great, especially for DCT owners, would be a way to increase DME boost, independently control the HPFP value and independently control the DCT clutch pressure. Is that possible?

Hope the above helps.

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#77)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Working on some JB4 firmware changes to match. Everyone keep those logs flowing!

On that video you should turn on boost in fuel and timing on oil temp, set to only come up at WOT.
FW changes to match what?

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#78)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335i
Default 10-30-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Working on some JB4 firmware changes to match. Everyone keep those logs flowing!

On that video you should turn on boost in fuel and timing on oil temp, set to only come up at WOT.
I usually have JB4 on my phone through BT, so I turned off the gauge hijacking. Didn't think about auto log though.
(#79)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2016, 08:01 PM

I like having boost and timing in dash full time at WOT just to be able to always keep an eye on things. Little reason not to since they only come on when racing around anyway.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#80)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
FW changes to match what?
The new BEF changes.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#81)
Old

Default 10-30-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I like having boost and timing in dash full time at WOT just to be able to always keep an eye on things. Little reason not to since they only come on when racing around anyway.
Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. I was thinking of autologging

I want to try a 2nd gear boosted launch...but last time I did such things I broke an input shaft
(#82)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2016, 08:04 PM

If you are a steptronic should be fine. I've done it hundreds of times on our 2011 335. Our 2011 135 is a DCT though so launching sucks on that car. Launch control sucks so you can basically only just floor it off idle.

Burger Motorsports

(#83)
Old

Default 10-30-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
If you are a steptronic should be fine. I've done it hundreds of times on our 2011 335. Our 2011 135 is a DCT though so launching sucks on that car. Launch control sucks so you can basically only just floor it off idle.
Good to know. Mine is just regular AT with Alpina. Looking forward to BEF changes.

I was reading the N54 MHD thread. Do you think N55 will ever got the KR maps? Was looking at my logs and still see some big timing drops...like 12 to 3.5 with TC off etc.

Seems like my car is very sensitive to knock, or get's a lot of false positives.
(#84)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2016, 08:12 PM

I imagine at some point but I'm not yet convinced the N55 has a false knock problem like we see with the N54. We're at the earliest stages of development here now that unlocked universal tools are finally available.

Burger Motorsports

(#85)
Old

Car: 2011 335i E90
Default 10-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Terry,
I have factory TMAP sensor, how can I get my hands on that particular firmware?
(#86)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2016, 08:30 PM

Email.

Burger Motorsports

(#87)
Old

Car: 2011 335i E90
Default 10-30-2016, 08:49 PM

Sent.
(#88)
Old

Car: 2011 335i Xdrive Sedan
Default 10-31-2016, 08:21 AM

Would it be possible to add anti lag later down the road now Terry with the new available tools?
(#89)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-31-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55e90
So i flashed the e50 and meth flash on my car and its pulling timing instead of adding it. The timing goes up at almost 6k and thats where i feel it start to pull but anything before that its weak only hits about 1-4 degrees of timing.
If you need tuning help then email in some JB4 logs.

Burger Motorsports

(#90)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-31-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflo_335xi
Would it be possible to add anti lag later down the road now Terry with the new available tools?
Yes once they expose the required tables we plan to add it in.

Burger Motorsports

(#91)
Old

Car: 2011 335i Xdrive Sedan
Default 10-31-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yes once they expose the required tables we plan to add it in.
Awesome. Thanks man keep up the good work. I only have Jon's email @bms and have the stock sensor, is that the email I would use for the files required for the bef ?
(#92)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-31-2016, 08:49 AM

Sure Jon can forward the request to me.

Burger Motorsports

(#93)
Old

Car: 07 335i AT
Default 10-31-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhylea
"We don't have this issue on the MHD flash only map, because those contains only the tuning tables and are applied on top of the proper OEM, region specific map.

But since the BMS maps are canned US bins, some settings do not apply for non US specs cars. Disabling some codes such as DMTL is already doable though. What codes are popping up?"

These are the codes that show up.
3224 = P240A - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Heater Control Circuit/Open - DMTL heater
321B = P2418 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit/Open - Switching Valve
3227 = P2400 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit/Open - Pump
Thanks for the codes. They'll be added to the definition tables.

Quote:
We will see what we can do on the LC since the DME has several tables for that.
(#94)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 10-31-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Interesting to say the least! I have noticed while using the ppk flash with the jb4 on e40 my HPFP values have been 13-15....considerably higher then the old Cobb BMS BEF files which would run 10-12 on my car same boost.
Same as I saw - the more load seen by the DME, the less the HPFP value. Going WOT, mine was something like: no flash (so stock boost) and the HPFP is around 15. No flash but PPK (slightly higher than stock boost) and the HPFP is 13-15. COBB OTS flash (varies depending on which used) and the HPFP is around 12-14. BMS or FuelIt high load flash and the HPFP is 9-12.

By dropping load to what I previously quoted and changing other flash fuelling tables / PI I could move the HPFP to 12-14 and even at 25psi have no misfires.

Quote:
How does your car drive with the e diff disabled?
Haven't really noticed much difference yet but I haven't had much time to test. To be honest, I'm still getting used to how the MFactory LSD feels compared to stock.

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#95)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD
We will see what we can do on the LC since the DME has several tables for that.
Would be awesome to be able to adjust the rpm for launch control on dct cars!!!
(#96)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
Would be awesome to be able to adjust the rpm for launch control on dct cars!!!
Would be even more awesome if it could be a 2-step launch control that builds boost too

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#97)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-31-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
Would be even more awesome if it could be a 2-step launch control that builds boost too
Oh for sure!
(#98)
Old

Car: 335i xdrve/m-sport
Default 10-31-2016, 07:44 PM

Few questions:

1.) Do the following map designations, from the N54 BEF guide, also apply to the n55? If so, Map5 is still an auto-tune map, with max boost of 18psi?

"Map 1 is 15psi, Map 2 is 17psi, and Map7 is 19psi. All other maps (3, 4, 5, 6) are unchanged and can also be used."

2.) Is there a drastic change between the pump BEF and e85 BEF? I think I am running ~e40, but really have no way to tell, as I don't have e85 sensor. What happens if running less than e40 using the e85 BEF?

3.) re: cold start. This morning my car stalled about 4 times, when starting cold. This was with e40+Pump_BEF, 5.12Test5 firmware. anyone else experience anything like this?

Thx!

2011 335i x-drive MSport: MHD PUMP_BEF + JB4 ISO 5.16 / Pure Stage 2 / Stage 2 LPFP (bucketless) / N20 TMAP / BMS Intake / ER CP / VRSF ** / VRSF 7" FMIC
(#99)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-31-2016, 07:53 PM

E40 should work either way. We're evaluating that stuff now. The E85 BEF is leaner with more timing advance, and higher fuel scalars, meant to match a heavier E85 mixture.

Burger Motorsports

(#100)
Old

Default 10-31-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisc0h
Few questions:

3.) re: cold start. This morning my car stalled about 4 times, when starting cold. This was with e40+Pump_BEF, 5.12Test5 firmware. anyone else experience anything like this?

Thx!
Where are you at?

I haven't had any starting issues with full tank E85 but coldest I have started it in the morning is low 60's.

Even with BEF, it doesn't start like a completely stock 335 meaning the idle is a tad rough for 10 seconds or so. But it is night and day better then modified, E85 and no BEF.