View Single Post
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 n55 xDrive 6MT
Default Lessons learned from upgrading/refreshing 335xi suspension - 08-21-2018, 10:22 AM

I recently started a refresh/upgrade for my 2011 335xi (E9x chassis) as it now has 100K+ on it and I wanted to share some of what I have learned to maybe save others some time and bull**** (and by bull**** I mean sending **** back to the vendor from whence it came).

Rear suspension components between RWD and AWD models of all years seem to be compatible.

Front suspension components between RWD and AWD models are definitely NOT the same, though, some of the bushings and ball joints are interchangeable but the arms are not. The AWD struts are shorter and the RWD struts won't even drop into the steering knuckle of an xi.

AWD models do not have the same front bits between all years. N54 models (2006-2010) and N55 (2011-2013) models seem to be where the cutoff is. The sway bar is located slightly differently in each and is a different shape as well. Further, the sway bar end link mounting brackets on the struts are at a slightly different position and angle.

Urethane thrust arm bushings (and new ball joint) on the front make a huge difference in control over rough pavement. Braking also feels smoother. Really liking that one.

Rear sway bar is a son-of-a-bitch to install. I mean damn. If you aren't pretty comfortable with tools and cars, don't even try it. Nuff said.

Urethane inserts in the rear sub frame bushings nicely firmed up the rear without being overly harsh and, since I had the subrame lowered anyway, were a no-brainer easy install.

That's all for now. More to come.

-Bryan

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
Pure Stg 2 | DV+ | Pure inlet | MHD/JB4
Stage 2 lpfp | BMS Intake | Shifteck 4-inch "expansion chamber" | MXP catback
VRSF 7" FMIC | ECS 2-piece rotors
255/40-18 square | 8.5x18 ET35
Fortune Auto MSC-1 coilovers 8k/10k