View Single Post
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Angry Can BMS send me the part I purchased? - 07-27-2020, 04:59 PM

So this is a long story. TL;DR is BMS determined my JB4 board was fried (after doing what they told me to do), so I purchased a new board, package finally arrives containing only my old board. I also want the screws for the bluetooth module offered to me. I'd really like these things overnight shipped to me so that I can MAYBE get my car running by Wednesday.

So this story starts a few months ago when I purchased a 2010 135i from around the city of LA and got it shipped to me in the state of LA. It already had a JB4 installed and everything was stock and running on Map 0. Car ran great, built strong boost and pulled good. The JB4 didn't have the bluetooth module so I ordered one and installed it. Car still ran perfect but no matter what I did, the app would only show boost and no other parameter. Quick email to BMS support and after a little back and forth troubleshooting and being told I really had a "Stage 1" tune, they finally realized I actually did have a JB4 after I sent a picture of the circuit board.

They replied back with "That's an old G5 board. It needs to be converts to ISO." So they sent instructions and I did as they said and updated the firmware after removing the two diodes on the old board. Being new to BMW and JB4 tuning I didn't realize the parameters in the tuning menus would spontaneously change to some really messed up numbers after a firmware update. This resulted in me immediately getting zero boost. None no matter what I did. A few more emails back and forth changing parameters and some help from a friendly person on an N54 Facebook group and now I'm making boost, sort of. Now I get a spike in boost up close to or above target and then the boost drops to around half of the target boost. Tried all kinds of parameters as per instructions.

Sent logs. The friendly guy on FB said it looked like I had a vac or boost leak. Changed most vac lines, found a weak diverter valve nipple on the intake manifold. Spend two weeks waiting on parts to fix that and tearing the car apart tracing out all possible places for a boost leak. Found nothing. Finally fixed the intake connection to the diverters. Changed out the charge pipe for a metal one with a Tial BOV to eliminate bad diverters as a cause. Got it back running, same problem. Tial BOV worked perfectly and it is nice to be able to hear when it releases to rule that out. Email BMS support again. They say to ship the board back in for them to troubleshoot it since everything started immediately after I followed their instructions and everything points to a JB4 problem.

Send board back. I email them to let them know it was delivered on a Monday. On Tuesday July 14th, I also ask where I can find screws to reinstall the bluetooth module since both fell out when taking the JB4 out and are now lost. They replied "We will send you new screws with the return." Perfect, and that was very nice of them.

On Wednesday July 15th I ask if there is any news yet, am told "Looks like the board is defective. We can discount you a new control board for $100+ shipping." I think, ok that sucks. I kind of expected a bigger discount since in my eyes this whole ordeal started from following their directions but no big deal... it's only $100. That day, July 15th, I agreed to purchase the new board and asked that the old board be sent back with the new board (since it is technically my property and I'd like to still have it for troubleshooting).

On Thursday July 16th, I get an email back that the board is "The board is crushed and broken. I may still have it in your bin." I inquire as to why they destroyed my board. Turns out it wasn't mine and they got it confused. I still don't have an invoice or a way to purchase the board even though agreeing to buy it the day before.

On Friday I get an email timestamped Fri, Jul 17, 3:47 PM with an invoice link to buy my new board. So now no matter what I do it won't get shipped out till Monday at least. I pay immediately and sure enough it isn't sent out till Monday. I sent an email back timestamped Fri, Jul 17, 4:07 saying "Ok thanks. Just ordered it. Please remember the screws for the Bluetooth connection."

USPS missed their expected delivery on Saturday so the package shows up today. The order shows the package should contain the new replacement board and my old board listed as "Control board on the repair shelf for (my name)".

Imagine my excitement today sitting at work dreaming about when I get home from work to rip open the package, install the new JB4, verify parameters and go for a ride in my new car that has been sitting there unusable for a month and a half. I get home, open the package and find.... the old circuit board. Nothing else. No screws. No new circuit board. Nothing.

I frantically search everywhere online for a phone number to call. I find none. I email my BMS support contact to call me ASAP. I was hoping someone would get back to me before they close for the day but no call yet. So here I am, just signed up for the forum and posting for help. I just need my new JB4 sent out ASAP so I can at least get the car back running. After this experience and the absolute gut punch I felt opening the package to find nothing useful to me at all, I'm literally sick to my stomach over this entire experience.

And no, there isn't another package shipped separately. The order info says it was all within the same package.