JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   VW/Audi Group (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   JB4 for 2018+ B9 AUDI S4, S5, SQ5, RS4, RS5 (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49608)

Hurrayfive 09-30-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQ519TV (Post )
My stock 2019 SQ5 Prestige with "20 wheels ran a stock 13.5 @ 102mph (rounded) back in the Spring in the Northeast with a 1/3 tank of 93 Mobil gas. I am a 280 lb driver and as you may know, the SQ5 is 600 lbs heavier than the S4. The air temps were around 67-70F back then. I made all runs in Auto, Sport Dynamic.

Last night, I installed the JB4 and took it to the track again. I again had about a 1/3 of a tank of 93 Mobil octane. Air temps ranged from 70 down to 64F at night. There was dew/humidity present last night as well. I tried Maps 2 and 3 on Auto, in Sport Dynamic.

My best runs were:

Map 2: 13.343@102.86 (60 Foot 1.924)
Map 3: 13.416@103.63 (60 Foot 2.016)

What kinds of times/speeds are other SQ5 owners seeing with the JB4?

Please list the time/speed - map - octane fuel - approx. driver weight, lol..

Any other help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
T

What do you mean by, "Auto, Sport Dynamic"? That sounds like a mix of several settings.

I've got a '19 SQ5 running the larger and heavier optional "21's. I ran back to back 13.0's (one 13.00) @ 105MPH on map 4, running 3/4 tank 92 AKI octane + a bottle of octane booster, independently tested to put me somewhere around 95 AKI octane, and then did a single JB4 disabled run (map 0) and ran a 13.7 @ 100MPH... though the car was already heat soaked by then, and was probably good for a 13.5 if it were the first run of the night. I ****ed up my first run of the night, it was my best 60ft, best 1/8th, and then I short shifted the 3-4 shift at 4K RPM and bogged across the line, it would have been my only 12.9 if I hadn't screwed up the shift.

Weather was 55-60F, DA was ~800ft, so pretty solid conditions. All runs with Drive Select set to Dynamic, so everything in Dynamic and transmission in Sport, with ESC turned fully off, using launch control to hold RPMs around 4K and then launch on the tree drop, short shifting around ~6200RPM in manual mode. Link to slips below.

https://i.imgur.com/FyMidsi.jpg

SQ519TV 10-01-2019 08:10 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have a set of 21's from my last 18' SQ5 that was totaled. I love the look of them but have not put them on the car because they are heavier. I noticed my old stock 2018 SQ5 with the 21's ran 13.6-13.7 @ 101-102 on average. So, we are in the same ballpark. The all seasons on the 20" seem to do just fine for now on my 2019.

I meant that I was in Dynamic / Sport mode but using the Automatic as such and not manually shifting. During my drag runs, the automatic was shifting at 6500 rpm's during WOT. The next time I will be trying to shift at 6000-6200 rpm's manually, at least in third and fourth to see if I can improve my times and trap speed.

It sounds like the best results are when the air temps are in the 50-60F range with dry crisp air. Probably on map 3-4 tops with some added octane or a mix of race fuel. I averaged 1.8-1.9 on my 60ft times too. I am betting with some practice I can get mine down to a flat 13.1-13.2 hopefully with a higher trap speed.

I also have the stock audi tow hitch on mine. So, I am not sure how much weight that adds over the stock rear bumper brace.

Btw, which octane booster did you use? I heard that Royal Purple is good but that MMT is not great for the engine overall.

Thanks again!

Hurrayfive 10-01-2019 10:05 PM

Yeah, I should clarify the stock (map 0) run was my last run of the night and the only one I let the transmission shift itself, it seemed noticeably out of breath above 6K even stock, so I think there's easily a tenth or two to pick up just from short shifting manually.

My first run was the coolest and my best 60' of 1.82, enough for a 12.9 by itself all else the same, but that stupid short shift had me bog across the line at a 13.3.

Second run was the 13.00 and back-to-back after the first but IAT's were 30 degrees warmer, car just never cooled down again. I tried the third run on map 5 and the logs were terrible, way too much timing adaptation (just not enough octane) and it felt slower, that was the 13.1, fourth run was back on map 4, another 13.0, and my fifth and final run was stock on map 0. IAT's were 73F at the start of my first run and 151F after my final run, waaayyy heat soaked.

I use Lucas Oil racing formula octane booster, can find it on Amazon. There was an independent test blog that tested half a dozen of them and Lucas Oil was found to raise octane a full 3 points on a 20 gal tank, Royal Purple came in just below it. My method now is to only ever put ~10 gallons of gas in the car at a time and I add half a bottle of booster, I barely drive the car so that lasts me a while and I can drive on map 4 without any timing adaptation and logs look perfect.

Every octane booster that works is going to have MMT, I don't go more than four 10 gallon fill ups running booster, after four I'll run a full tank without booster on a lower map, then go back, so far it seems fine. The design of the fuel injector and its placement in the center of the combustion chamber in the B9 3.0T and the immense pressures it operates at makes it less likely to have the same sorts of long term problems you'd see in a non-DI fuel injected engine, but time will tell.

SQ519TV 10-02-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurrayfive (Post )
Yeah, I should clarify the stock (map 0) run was my last run of the night and the only one I let the transmission shift itself, it seemed noticeably out of breath above 6K even stock, so I think there's easily a tenth or two to pick up just from short shifting manually.

My first run was the coolest and my best 60' of 1.82, enough for a 12.9 by itself all else the same, but that stupid short shift had me bog across the line at a 13.3.

Second run was the 13.00 and back-to-back after the first but IAT's were 30 degrees warmer, car just never cooled down again. I tried the third run on map 5 and the logs were terrible, way too much timing adaptation (just not enough octane) and it felt slower, that was the 13.1, fourth run was back on map 4, another 13.0, and my fifth and final run was stock on map 0. IAT's were 73F at the start of my first run and 151F after my final run, waaayyy heat soaked.

I use Lucas Oil racing formula octane booster, can find it on Amazon. There was an independent test blog that tested half a dozen of them and Lucas Oil was found to raise octane a full 3 points on a 20 gal tank, Royal Purple came in just below it. My method now is to only ever put ~10 gallons of gas in the car at a time and I add half a bottle of booster, I barely drive the car so that lasts me a while and I can drive on map 4 without any timing adaptation and logs look perfect.

Every octane booster that works is going to have MMT, I don't go more than four 10 gallon fill ups running booster, after four I'll run a full tank without booster on a lower map, then go back, so far it seems fine. The design of the fuel injector and its placement in the center of the combustion chamber in the B9 3.0T and the immense pressures it operates at makes it less likely to have the same sorts of long term problems you'd see in a non-DI fuel injected engine, but time will tell.

Thanks for the advice. I know that my IAT was around 150 degrees as well at the end of my last run on map 3. I look forward to getting back out to the track on a cooler day and practicing my manual shifts. I may pick up a bottle of Lucas Racing Octane Booster or just mix in a gallon of 110 octane from the track with several gallons of 93 and see how the car reacts on map 3.

snowfree52 10-06-2019 10:47 PM

It's been several days I have fault codes almost every morning :
772A and 8A4E on the app
and with them : start/stop malfunction and drive system malfunction
only the morning and if I turn off the car and restart the malfunctions are gone.

George @ BMS 10-07-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowfree52 (Post )
It's been several days I have fault codes almost every morning :
772A and 8A4E on the app
and with them : start/stop malfunction and drive system malfunction
only the morning and if I turn off the car and restart the malfunctions are gone.

Does it come on as you click the button or when the engine is started?

snowfree52 10-07-2019 01:15 PM

Hmmm not 100% sure but I believe when engine is started

George @ BMS 10-07-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowfree52 (Post )
Hmmm not 100% sure but I believe when engine is started

Can you disconnect the bluetooth module from the JB4 and see if this issue persists. If not drop me a email at george@burgertuning.com and we can get it sorted.

snowfree52 10-08-2019 05:03 AM

Actually this morning I paid attention and it was as soon as I pressed the button
Ill try to get the bt off and see
Thanks

lkyap 10-09-2019 12:02 PM

Hi. Just bought a B9 SQ5 and very interested in JB4.
I plan to run daily with 92 Octane (Pacific Northwest) and LucasOil octane booster. A few questions before I make the plunge,

1. What is the stock psi boost of this 3.0TFSI Turbo engine?
2. What is the expected bhp and torque levels I can expect for a map 3.
3. Do I just need to get the Group 7: JB4 module with the BMS cable or are there more items to get?
4. Will it be safe and no impact to engine if I use the octane booster daily ? (1 can per top up)
5. What is the BCM? And is it part of the package?

Many thanks!

George @ BMS 10-09-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkyap (Post )
Hi. Just bought a B9 SQ5 and very interested in JB4.
I plan to run daily with 92 Octane (Pacific Northwest) and LucasOil octane booster. A few questions before I make the plunge,

1. What is the stock psi boost of this 3.0TFSI Turbo engine?
2. What is the expected bhp and torque levels I can expect for a map 3.
3. Do I just need to get the Group 7: JB4 module with the BMS cable or are there more items to get?
4. Will it be safe and no impact to engine if I use the octane booster daily ? (1 can per top up)
5. What is the BCM? And is it part of the package?

Many thanks!

Boost should peak around 17psi or so and taper to redline. The ECU doesnt target boost but torque using intake temp as one of the main parameters so in the colder months you will run less boost than in summer
Averages on map 3 we are seeing is 55hp+ and 65ft lb.
Group 7 is correct. You can go with the data cable or most buy the bluetooth module that is far more convenient.
No ill affect in octane booster daily.
The BCM is integrated now. It allows for direct boost control via the turbo waist gates which increases the capability of the unit. It needed more for high boost levels or after market turbos.

Big Six 10-14-2019 01:57 AM

Hello Folks,

For the RS5, what AFR's are you getting on the various MAP's and or trageting by means of the open loop fuel set point ?

Also , if when moving from a higher MAP to say MAP 1 , does the Open Loop Fuel set point need to be decreased each time a different map is selected or does this auto learn ?

Regards

Thanks

George @ BMS 10-14-2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post )
Hello Folks,

For the RS5, what AFR's are you getting on the various MAP's and or trageting by means of the open loop fuel set point ?

Also , if when moving from a higher MAP to say MAP 1 , does the Open Loop Fuel set point need to be decreased each time a different map is selected or does this auto learn ?

Regards

Thanks

The fuel open loop only needs to be changed to 100 when using a E85 mix. For pump fuel leave as is.

Big Six 10-14-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George @ BMS (Post )
The fuel open loop only needs to be changed to 100 when using a E85 mix. For pump fuel leave as is.

Thanks George,

I read previously that setting the FOL to 100 or above may trigger a low fuel pressure code ?

Also I further read that map 4 targets the stock AFR , does that mean map 5 and above have tuned AFR values ?

Thanks for all of the help.

George @ BMS 10-14-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post )
Thanks George,

I read previously that setting the FOL to 100 or above may trigger a low fuel pressure code ?

Also I further read that map 4 targets the stock AFR , does that mean map 5 and above have tuned AFR values ?

Thanks for all of the help.

The AFR is adjusted by the ECU based on exhaust gas temperature to keep cylinder temps in check so it will enrich if needed regardless of map selected.
On the fuel open loop we add more fuel volume to keep the fuel trims in check. The trims are adaptions the ECU will make to maintain stock like fueling. By raising the FOL trims come down. We E85 mixes more volume is needed hence the need to raise the value.
We rarely see fuel pressure codes considering the volume of units out there but if its to sensitive at 100 you can lower to 90. Nothing tragic can happen even if this value is left at 0 considering all other piggy backs dont even have this feature.

Noggyb9s4! 10-18-2019 01:25 PM

Chrome book use

Recently purchased a jb4 for my b9 s4. Got it all set up and wired. I downloaded the app on my hp chrome book. But when going through the jb4 app obtained in the App Store it does not want to connect even after enabling the gps.

Can you not use a chrome book plugged in directly with the usb cable?
If someone could reach out with an answer that would be awesome!
801-598-2110
Thanks

Noggyb9s4! 10-21-2019 05:23 PM

Jb4 map 6 running super lean

3 Attachment(s)
Hello!
I am from Miami so I’m down at sea level!

I recently purchased a jb4 with bcm and Bluetooth module for my s4
Install was a breeze.
I have all 4 connection points connected
(2 map sensors, fuel sensor, and the boost sensor)
Upon connecting the app on the phone it’s pretty easy to navigate.
Updated to the most recent firmware v4!
I notice sizeable gains even on pump 1-3 tunes which is awesome for such little boost increase!
I added 5 gallons of e85 tested at 78% straight from the pump and the rest 93 octane.
I attached one log with this fuel setup on map 6 (also tried map 4/5 with the same outcome) and under WOT through any gear it runs high 14’s to 15’s which is very concering. Even through gears 3-6.
I stopped getting on it at all and went for a drive to run out the fuel in the tank down to 5 mte
I then filled the tank with 93 octane. And left it on tune 6 to see if it would go more rich like it should and it did. (The other two attatched logs) 1-3 and 3-5 i believe.
It’s acting as if the e85 maps are not providing enough fuel in lower gears 1-2 in any map as it’s showing high 14 afr (correct me if I’m wrong) and definitely not enough fuel on map 6 as it’s running 14/15 afr while on E.

Maybe I’m just not seeing the option to up the fuel? Or if we just don’t have access to it?

Also curious as mentioned in the sticky is that you can monitor knock. If i could be pointed in the direction on how to view this as it’s not on the logs or on the gauges list.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Terry @ BMS 10-21-2019 08:53 PM

I see you emailed George so just wait for him to get back to you. Logs don't look bad but I see fuel trims are maxed so nee to raise open loop higher presuming the fuel pressure connector is installed.

PS. I wouldn't post your phone number on a public forum.

B9S4Chris 10-30-2019 02:15 AM

Whats the 0-100(0-60) for map 1,2,3 for the S4? running 91 octane.

George @ BMS 10-30-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B9S4Chris (Post )
Whats the 0-100(0-60) for map 1,2,3 for the S4? running 91 octane.

Map 3 is usually to aggressive for 91 so majority of customers run map 2. Typically we seeing around 4.2-4.5 from the customer base.

B9S4Chris 10-31-2019 10:05 PM

is map 3 93 octane or 94 octane enough? also 0-100 for map 3?

George @ BMS 11-01-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B9S4Chris (Post )
is map 3 93 octane or 94 octane enough? also 0-100 for map 3?

You should get it int he 3's. Map 3 is good for 93 and 94.

B9RS4.SedanNow 11-10-2019 08:03 PM

Water Injection

Anyone doing water injection without methanol with stock turbo instead of E30? Anyone know if itís possible to max out the stock turbo on just water injection and 91 octane?

George @ BMS 11-11-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B9RS4.SedanNow (Post )
Anyone doing water injection without methanol with stock turbo instead of E30? Anyone know if itís possible to max out the stock turbo on just water injection and 91 octane?

No one is using water alone. I doubt it will have a benefit in terms of running a more aggressive map especially making the car map 4 or 5 capable. IAT will go down but it doesnt open a lot of room for more boost.

steel234 11-13-2019 11:38 AM

Bosch MG ECU is cracked since 1-2 month... Now we need BEF.... :)