N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N55 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   diverter valve leak (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56606)

Bours 01-21-2019 11:43 AM

diverter valve leak

hey guys when i do 3rd geat pulls my wdgc goes up to 99 past 5.5k rpm and drops boost by 5 psi...

i have a pure stage 2 turbo so.its not normal !

did a pressure test but there was no leak !
then changed boost solenoid but still the same problem

next step is to change the dv ?

i have the dv+ for a few months now....possible its leaking already ?

Weehe 01-22-2019 09:40 AM

Really doubt a new DV+ would be leaking already. What intake do you have? Could the silicone coupler be collapsing?

Payam @ BMS 01-22-2019 12:14 PM

Do you have any logs?

WaqasRiyami 01-25-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weehe (Post )
Really doubt a new DV+ would be leaking already. What intake do you have? Could the silicone coupler be collapsing?

I see that this coupler is a common problem know.. but how dose it happen ?

Weehe 01-25-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaqasRiyami (Post )
I see that this coupler is a common problem know.. but how dose it happen ?

The vacuum in the intake when at high boost collapses the coupler. This is normally more prevalent when port injection is involved and the stock intake since it stretches the coupler.

blackhat75 02-19-2019 11:20 AM

I think DV's go bad more often than we here/see. I just swapped mine with another one and it works much better.

keyap 02-19-2019 12:11 PM

It's been a few years since I did mine but, from memory, the DV+ has the option for different spring configurations, which may give different results.

Good look if you try to change with it on the car. The bolt at the back is a PITA!

PT's_vengeance 02-21-2019 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am thinking my DV has gone out as well, though it could be the throttle body as well. just wanted to see if you guys might know better then me. If you want to know the history that lead to this I can give you that, but for now here is a graph and the codes I get. The graph is when I had the car set on cruise control going down a highway, and that small boost 3/4 the way down was me going up a hill.
With what happened before everyone blames the JB4 but I don't want to believe that.

keyap 02-22-2019 01:29 AM

The codes starting 38 relate to an issue with the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) - usually when there's no signal. The 36c9 is a fuelling issue which can be triggered by a number of reasons. It usually is seen when fuelling requested is outside what can be delivered.

Re the DV, a list of mods and a wot log in 3rd from 2500 to red line would be good. If this shows wgdc at max with boost below target at a level you should be able to achieve, it could be the DV if all other 'leak' options have been eliminated.

hardparker 02-22-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bours (Post )
hey guys when i do 3rd geat pulls my wdgc goes up to 99 past 5.5k rpm and drops boost by 5 psi...

i have a pure stage 2 turbo so.its not normal !

did a pressure test but there was no leak !
then changed boost solenoid but still the same problem

next step is to change the dv ?

i have the dv+ for a few months now....possible its leaking already ?

Post some of those 3rd gear logs for us to look at.

It's unlikely that the DV+ is leaking. According to this article, it basically can't leak under boost, because it operates differently than the stock DV. Basically, any boost pressure will hold it shut, even without the solenoid operating: https://blog.ecstuning.com/2017/08/2...-instructions/

That said, I've seen several other people mention the same boost issue above 5,500 RPM on PWG N55s. I think they were all xDrive, too. This fella here seems like he might have the same issue: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56903

Do a boost leak test again. Make sure you wedge the throttle plate open temporarily with something to adequately test for leaks behind the throttle, such as manifold seals. Don't forget to remove your oil cap, so as not to blow out the crankshaft seals.

Stoolz 02-22-2019 01:33 PM

This may be of ni help at all but I thought my DV+ was leaking, swapped my boost solenoid and fixed the issue.

PT's_vengeance 02-23-2019 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyap (Post )
The codes starting 38 relate to an issue with the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) - usually when there's no signal. The 36c9 is a fuelling issue which can be triggered by a number of reasons. It usually is seen when fuelling requested is outside what can be delivered.

Re the DV, a list of mods and a wot log in 3rd from 2500 to red line would be good. If this shows wgdc at max with boost below target at a level you should be able to achieve, it could be the DV if all other 'leak' options have been eliminated.

thanks, I was thinking the 36c9 was because of a misfire, as that seems to be the reason I get an indication majority of the time. I guess I also failed to say that I randomly get turbo surge (flutter) which is again why I think it is a DV or throttle issue. Mods that I have that have anything to do with this are BMS: JB4, intake, charge pipe, oil catch can. VRSF: *******-******** Magnaflow: catback (running no cats) honestly, all my issues started when I finally updated the software on the JB4 from its original software it had when I purchased it.
I tried doing those 3rd gear pulls but yesterday we got snow so this is all I can give for now.

Stoolz 02-23-2019 01:42 PM

I don't know how much help those logs will be at part throttle like that, why is boost miles over target?

PT's_vengeance 02-23-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoolz (Post )
I don't know how much help those logs will be at part throttle like that, why is boost miles over target?

Yeah, I will try again today when the snow starts melting. Also, I have no idea why boost is so high compared to target, this is running just map one, and like I said, I have been getting these issues when I updated the firmware. I can hear the difference in the car too. When I start the engine the turbo spools up and the car gets really loud, I know that is normal with the car, but it seems a little excessive now.

keyap 02-23-2019 04:58 PM

How old is the JB4 - iso or pre iso and have you loaded the correct fw?

PT's_vengeance 02-24-2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

How old is the JB4 - iso or pre iso and have you loaded the correct fw?

As far back as I can easily see with out pulling out old records or anything like that, is when I added the Bluetooth connect kit to it. That being July 10 2016. So the JB4 itself is older then that. Not sure if it is ISO or not.... But I just looked at the firmware and it says N55_ISO_5_17_T5.hex so it could be that the JB4 is a pre iso and I have iso software on it.

PT's_vengeance 02-26-2019 06:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I did two pulls in 3rd on map 1. The second one I guess I was a little late on pressing record. Before I did these while I was driving around warming up the engine it struggled with low RPMs and I think I got a misfire then I got the CEL again. Adding that too just because...same codes as before.

keyap 02-27-2019 11:24 AM

You may want to open a new thread in the support section, post the Csvs and screen shots of your JB4 settings - you should get more responses and hopefully get this resolved asap.

PT's_vengeance 02-28-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

You may want to open a new thread in the support section, post the Csvs and screen shots of your JB4 settings - you should get more responses and hopefully get this resolved asap.

Okay, will do. Thanks.