N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N54 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   BMS automatic transmission cooler upgrade (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56319)

Terry @ BMS 12-28-2018 09:25 PM

BMS automatic transmission cooler upgrade

Exciting new product we've been working on for awhile, came out really clean! $399 Intro Price. :drinking:

BMS E Chassis BMW Transmission Cooler | BurgerTuning.com

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/B...n-Cooler-2.jpg

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/B...er-135_335.jpg

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/t...35_e90_e92.jpg

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/t...35_e90_e92.jpg

Payam @ BMS 12-29-2018 01:11 AM

Been testing this for about a year now. Trans temps are about 60-80* cooler than what they used to be. After hard pulls and sitting in hot summer SoCal traffic at 110F ambient the trans oil temp would not even go above 160F. The trans would shift so much harder and stronger. This thing works so darn well I can't wait until you guys try it. :)

nyt 12-29-2018 02:01 AM

Just ordered, hows the install? Any issues on 335xi?

Ion619 12-29-2018 01:47 PM

Looks like it mounts to the right side of the car? (if you are looking straight forward from front to rear).

Milan 12-29-2018 03:59 PM

Sweet glad there are some actual numbers. How hard is the install?

Logan 12-29-2018 04:33 PM

Does this replace the stock auto trans cooler that's there?

zomski101 12-29-2018 04:37 PM

Damn, if only I hadn't installed the evolution racewerks oil cooler. Will the trans be able to warm up in colder climates?

soccerman1bmw 12-29-2018 06:47 PM

Yes curious how long the install takes ?

Terry @ BMS 12-29-2018 07:37 PM

Payam is working on the install guide this weekend, should have it up early next week!

Logan 12-30-2018 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Will this trans cooler replace this?It would be great since it would free up room for the chargepipe clearance.Also reduce the leaks from the weak points also.

cebrailbakan 12-30-2018 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s my transmission cooler and its location. Nothing to say , extremely good! I didn’t see above 50 Celsius even in the track days ! Hope to see the same result with bms product , good luck men !

Terry @ BMS 12-30-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post )
Will this trans cooler replace this?It would be great since it would free up room for the chargepipe clearance.Also reduce the leaks from the weak points also.

Yes that is replaced. :drinking:

Logan 12-30-2018 11:35 AM

are you gonna make option for guys that have fog lights,looks like the cooler mounts in place of it.also the ram air duct for brake affected?

Payam @ BMS 12-30-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post )
are you gonna make option for guys that have fog lights,looks like the cooler mounts in place of it.also the ram air duct for brake affected?

You will remove the brake air ducts for this to fit.

It sits behind fog lights, you're still good with that.

It's about a 1-2 hour install. I'm working on the guide right now.
Here's a little recap of whats done for those who can visualize. Really easy!

Pull off driver side wheel.
Pull off bottom cover, and driver wheel well.
Pull out radiator fan.
Pull out stock AT cooler.
Cap coolant hoses with provided billet pieces. PNP
Attach two hoses to OEM AT trans oil lines.
Remove brake air duct (Depending on 135i or 335i)
Attach bracket and oil cooler to frame with provided billet pieces. (No drilling required)
Tighten hoses and bracket.
Reinstall wheel well and under cover.
Done!

Payam @ BMS 12-30-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyt (Post )
Just ordered, hows the install? Any issues on 335xi?

Super easy, I'll update the website with PDF install guide soon!

Should be same stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ion619 (Post )
Looks like it mounts to the right side of the car? (if you are looking straight forward from front to rear).

Correct. The driver side!

Kaane 12-30-2018 09:58 PM

The factory cooler serves 2 functions, 1 to cool the fluid, but it also is used to heat up the fluid and also to keep the temperature fluctuations down. If you just replace the factory setup the warm up for the transmission will take a lot longer and also temps will go way high during stop and go traffic. I would supplement the factory setup not replace it. Most people that install additional coolers leave the radiator setup alone.

Boland01 12-31-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
You will remove the brake air ducts for this to fit.

It sits behind fog lights, you're still good with that.

It's about a 1-2 hour install. I'm working on the guide right now.
Here's a little recap of whats done for those who can visualize. Really easy!

Pull off driver side wheel.
Pull off bottom cover, and driver wheel well.
Pull out radiator fan.
Pull out stock AT cooler.
Cap coolant hoses with provided billet pieces. PNP
Attach two hoses to OEM AT trans oil lines.
Remove brake air duct (Depending on 135i or 335i)
Attach bracket and oil cooler to frame with provided billet pieces. (No drilling required)
Tighten hoses and bracket.
Reinstall wheel well and under cover.
Done!

Payam- I would add to your instructions to make sure the transmission is at the correct fluid level per the ZF procedure. Our transmissions are pretty sensitive to this. I'm sure this will be a great product.

Payam @ BMS 12-31-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaane (Post )
The factory cooler serves 2 functions, 1 to cool the fluid, but it also is used to heat up the fluid and also to keep the temperature fluctuations down. If you just replace the factory setup the warm up for the transmission will take a lot longer and also temps will go way high during stop and go traffic. I would supplement the factory setup not replace it. Most people that install additional coolers leave the radiator setup alone.

The coldest weather so far has been 36F here and it only took about 5 minutes to get up to 120F+, I don't see that as an issue as it takes longer for engine oil to warm up.

I have been testing this for a very long time in the traffic conditions you speak of. It does not go above 160F and this is at 110F ambient after about 20 pulls. I literally tried to brake this car when testing.

Engine oil temps went to 270F and I had to stop to let it cool. Trans temps 160F and wouldnt go any higher after letting it sit on idle for ten minutes to let the engine oil cool. That should speak volumes of how efficient this is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boland01 (Post )
Payam- I would add to your instructions to make sure the transmission is at the correct fluid level per the ZF procedure. Our transmissions are pretty sensitive to this. I'm sure this will be a great product.

Correct, it will need about a Qt extra. I was just giving some relative steps so people can see how long it will take.

houtan 01-07-2019 11:05 AM

Very Nice.

So there is no external thermostat?

Anyone installed this on a 1er as well as anyone using this with a DCT car? Just wanted to know if the temperature behavior is the same on a DCT car as an auto car.

seroga1986 01-08-2019 07:28 AM

If you live in a colder climate then an external thermostat is a must. I have had the trans cooler for 3+ yrs now. If its freezing outside then trans temps take a long time to reach even 130°. It needs to be at least 150-160 to beat on the trans. Anything below that is not good. I have a 160° thermostat and its working out great. Over 50 on track hours with temps staying under 175. On street it stay 160-165 dont matter how hot it is outside. I recommend a thermostat if you are going to bypass the stock heat exchanger.

cebrailbakan 01-08-2019 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by seroga1986 (Post )
If you live in a colder climate then an external thermostat is a must. I have had the trans cooler for 3+ yrs now. If its freezing outside then trans temps take a long time to reach even 130°. It needs to be at least 150-160 to beat on the trans. Anything below that is not good. I have a 160° thermostat and its working out great. Over 50 on track hours with temps staying under 175. On street it stay 160-165 dont matter how hot it is outside. I recommend a thermostat if you are going to bypass the stock heat exchanger.

Hi , I located my transmission cooler in front of the grills. This induces the trans temperature always below 40° Celsius in winter. It hardly reaches to 60° in summer despite hard drive. No issues so far. Will it be a issue in long term ?

seroga1986 01-08-2019 12:33 PM

40C is 104F. Way too low for hard abuse. It needs to be 70C at least for hard driving.

cebrailbakan 01-08-2019 12:39 PM

What can I do ?

seroga1986 01-08-2019 08:44 PM

Add an inline thermostat.

Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! 01-08-2019 10:49 PM

If running xHP- id consider this a must for trans longevity