N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech Support, Tuning Advice, Logs, and Help Me Posts (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Fuel Pump warning in iDrive, 2AAE code (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34215)

Milan 10-13-2015 10:38 AM

Fuel Pump warning in iDrive, 2AAE code

Hello All,

My BMW has been pissing me off so I have been driving my Lightning around. Anyway since winter is coming and it's my only AWD car I am determined to mess with it again.

I installed the Stage 2 Fuel-It Walbro 450 about 6-8 months ago and have been enjoying it with no problems up until about 2 months ago. I was in SLC visiting a friend and the "Fuel Pump Warning" popped up on the iDrive that tells you continued driving is possible but to take your car to the dealership. I emailed Steve at Fuel-It and he told me that this is normal on some cars.

The car drives fine but recently the warning has gotten worse and I seem to have developed a 2AAE code. I did some research on it and a lot of people having this code said to replace the LPFP sensor on the HPFP. I bought an OEM BMW one and replaced it and it changed nothing.

I am getting ready to send the entire bucket back to Steve but wanted to pick your brains before doing so. I sold my Android phone and bought and iPhone so for the time being I have no way to log the LPFP, but the car drives great. Steve told me this can happen when there is too much ethanol used but have not filled up with anything other than 91 octane.

What else can I check? I don't think it's normal because I drove around for month's with no issues.

Gizm0 10-13-2015 10:49 AM

2AAF code is very common and should be disregarded. I had it on my car when i was bone stock, it never caused any issues.

Milan 10-13-2015 10:57 AM

2AAE, not F

Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! 10-13-2015 11:11 AM

I don't suspect it's an issue with the pump, but as I said you're welcome to send it it to be tested.

Steve

Milan 10-13-2015 11:55 AM

Anyone else have ideas?

Bme30 10-14-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milan (Post )
Hello All,

My BMW has been pissing me off so I have been driving my Lightning around. Anyway since winter is coming and it's my only AWD car I am determined to mess with it again.

I installed the Stage 2 Fuel-It Walbro 450 about 6-8 months ago and have been enjoying it with no problems up until about 2 months ago. I was in SLC visiting a friend and the "Fuel Pump Warning" popped up on the iDrive that tells you continued driving is possible but to take your car to the dealership. I emailed Steve at Fuel-It and he told me that this is normal on some cars.

The car drives fine but recently the warning has gotten worse and I seem to have developed a 2AAE code. I did some research on it and a lot of people having this code said to replace the LPFP sensor on the HPFP. I bought an OEM BMW one and replaced it and it changed nothing.

I am getting ready to send the entire bucket back to Steve but wanted to pick your brains before doing so. I sold my Android phone and bought and iPhone so for the time being I have no way to log the LPFP, but the car drives great. Steve told me this can happen when there is too much ethanol used but have not filled up with anything other than 91 octane.

What else can I check? I don't think it's normal because I drove around for month's with no issues.

I just started getting these codes as well. I have monitored my pressures and everything is ok. The car drives great too, just this 2AAE code keeps coming up and then goes off and comes back! I have been running the stage 3 bucket for a few months and this issue started a few days ago.

Terry @ BMS 10-14-2015 09:42 AM

I'd just turn the fault off in the flash file is low pressure is OK. Some cars do flash a warning for odd things like pump current, low pressure vs target, etc.

Milan 10-14-2015 09:46 AM

Guys I found a thread on the other forum where someone started getting this problem when driving at high altitudes. Since this happened for me when I was in Utah I think it's the same issue.

I will try his fix (reset) adaptations tonight and report back. I overnighted a samsung tabler to myself so we will see..

Milan 10-15-2015 03:15 PM

Reset the lambda, fuel, and octane in MHD but no dice. Car runs great though...gonna have to get a log.

NorCalN55 10-15-2015 07:34 PM

While I have a N55, I too get the same fuel pump warning on idrive and I run a stage 2 lpfp from Fuel-it. It's pretty anyoing but logs check out and the hpfp is happy.

Milan 10-15-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalN55 (Post )
While I have a N55, I too get the same fuel pump warning on idrive and I run a stage 2 lpfp from Fuel-it. It's pretty anyoing but logs check out and the hpfp is happy.

Do you get the orange car on lift symbol when you turn off the vehicle?

NorCalN55 10-15-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Do you get the orange car on lift symbol when you turn off the vehicle?

8.5 / 10 times.

Milan 10-17-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalN55 (Post )
8.5 / 10 times.

Same here....I'm determined to figure this out lol

I seem to be the only person with an n54 and this problem but it seems like idrive is less common in people modding n54

Sikh335xi 10-26-2015 01:58 PM

Terry may be onto something with Pump Current throwing that code, I recently had my pump power and ground wires melt together inside of the tank. Too much current will cause heat, then all of a sudden I started getting that code and the Idrive message.

I've had that pump in there for damn near 50k miles and one day it died while driving, no low fuel pressure, found the wires melted together.

Since then I've kept an eye on fuel pressure and AFR's and nothing is underperforming.

Someone over at BMS had suggested to me that using the gates hose will clog up the fuel filter on the driver's side and make the pump work pretty hard, but it looks like you have a Fuel It setup.

Idk that might all be useless information but hopefully it helps someone in finding out why this code is being thrown.

hoshi335i 03-21-2016 07:21 AM

I got a walbro pump stage 2 bucket on saturday, installed on Sunday after 5-7 minutes idle or speeding i get the warning. no altitude no nothing.
I have Dinan tune on my car with bigger turbos and AFE intake.
Anyone able to figure it out ?

AWSAWS 03-21-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Same here....I'm determined to figure this out lol

I seem to be the only person with an n54 and this problem but it seems like idrive is less common in people modding n54

I get pump warnings in idrive when going WOT but it never throws a code as it's set to 00 in the flash. It must be the increased current demand.

I somehow lost all my service info following the stage 2 pump install. Such a PITA!!! Now the car reads service required every time I start up. Plus the car on the lift.

I'm hoping my car is safe to drive. The oil measurement is always reading full 100% and hasn't dropped at all 2 months after an oil change. This has been after lots of WOT runs. I was expecting a tiny drop.
I tried parking on a 25 degree hill to see if I could get it to read anything less than 100% full.

I need to look at the car with DISv57 or ISTA. The BMW stealers couldn't sort my issue after paying them $160 for nothing. The car wont hold any service info right now.

JValenzSD 03-21-2016 12:25 PM

I have that pop up in mine as well. I have an i-Drive and the codes are both disabled in my tune.

Months ago, I had my Fuel It Stage 2 bucket sent back to Steve for testing and the pump test came back with no problems.

Logs even show that the Stage 2 lpfp pressures are where they should be.

Everytime I get that orange triangle, I am now conditioned to know that my Stage 2 pump is kicking in.

Ocean 03-21-2016 07:18 PM

I was sometimes getting that code intermittently while driving, then the iDrive fuel pump error symbol in iDrive after shutting engine off.
It got more and more frequent and eventually caused engine shutdown while driving. I listed all this in a Stage 2 LPFP thread some months ago.
Long story short I changed the EKP fuel module and recoded it. Seemed to solve the problem.
I updated to a newer version that was compatible, so went from an EKPM2 to EKPM3.
These modules contain heat sinks and I suspect that my bigger Walbro LPFP was generating more amps and more heat than the stock pump, hence causing disturbances. Just a theory.
I have had no codes or issues since changing the EKP. Used one off a 2009 e60.
I would not ignore fuel pump error codes. It's triggered by something, we just don't know for sure by what. In my case both pumps were fine and I blame that EKP.
No issues or codes since swapping it out.

houtan 03-22-2016 06:47 AM

So does everybody get the code who upgrades the fuel pump?

Has Fuel-it confirmed the fix is to upgrade the EKPM? How do we know what EKPM our car has?

I hear of instances where the fuel pump upgrade throws a code, but not very often. Is it that people are getting the code and not saying anything about it or is it rare to get the code?

Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! 03-22-2016 07:35 AM

No, everybody doesn't get the code but some do.

Ocean was having a lot of issues with the car shutting down after driving a short distance and when it did, it shut the fuel system down. The dealer replaced the HPFP and then said the LPFP was bad. We didn't believe this was the case but sent him out another LPFP. When we got his old LPFP back we tested it and found it to be good. They were then getting ready to replace the relay and we suggested that he replace the EKP module. This was what appears to have fixed the issue.

However, we would not recommend that people start replacing their EKP modules because they get a 2aaf, 2aae, or fuel pump warning. As mentioned the EKP does see that the upgraded pump pulls more current and may throw a code or warning on some cars. The code is a shadow code and does not throw an SES or CEL. If everything is running fine otherwise, we'd recommend that you disregard it.

houtan 03-22-2016 08:42 PM

Thanks Steve

J. Dub 07-25-2016 11:38 AM

I too have fuel-it stage 2. I too have 2aaf, and 2aae on my 2010 N54 335i.
Running MHD alone.
Running e40 mix of fuel.
Stock fuel lines.
Always a shadow code NEVER a limp car.

Occasionally on cold starts, the car will stumble a little. Possibly because I'm running some e85 in my tank.

snelson3003 07-25-2016 01:48 PM

+1 on the EKPM2/3 module. Mine had a similar issue until i swapped the module from one i got on ebay.

Also noticed my LPFP hits 76 now easily. Before it would stay at 67psi all the time.

J. Dub 07-26-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snelson3003 (Post )
+1 on the EKPM2/3 module. Mine had a similar issue until i swapped the module from one i got on ebay.

Also noticed my LPFP hits 76 now easily. Before it would stay at 67psi all the time.

Interesting

iminhell1 08-14-2016 11:56 PM

I get the e code also.
Not real happy about it!

datalog --> http://www.***********/u/iminhell1/lo...0&data=4-15-23

This car is a return system as far as I understand. My Focus was returnless. When my pressure logs looked this ****ty I had to tune the PID controller for the pump (gain). All fell in line and I never threw another pump code.
How is the BMW pump controlled?