N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   VW/Audi Group (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   JB4 for 2018+ B9 AUDI S4, S5, SQ5, RS4, RS5 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49608)

spindlewood 10-21-2018 10:09 AM

I sent George a message regarding this, but while I wait for a response, I'm hoping one of you could help.

I installed the JB4 on an SQ5 and got max 2500 rpm message & Drive System Malfunction message.
The JB4 shows error 159D (no description)

Ideas? Connections are snapped in and locked - and I re-seated the ones that were easy on/off with the Audi locks.

The OBDEleven 4 pin square connector has only 1 direction where the small clip locks against a bump and in this direction the plug slides in easily and locks. Didn't try the other 3 positions which seemed also to require some force.

My only concern with installation was the yanking on the OBDII wire as I pulled it through the grommet via a coat hanger. I do see RPM on the JB4 app so I presume I didn't do any damage to it.

Not sure what else to check.

George @ BMS 10-21-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindlewood (Post )
I sent George a message regarding this, but while I wait for a response, I'm hoping one of you could help.

I installed the JB4 on an SQ5 and got max 2500 rpm message & Drive System Malfunction message.
The JB4 shows error 159D (no description)

Ideas? Connections are snapped in and locked - and I re-seated the ones that were easy on/off with the Audi locks.

The OBDEleven 4 pin square connector has only 1 direction where the small clip locks against a bump and in this direction the plug slides in easily and locks. Didn't try the other 3 positions which seemed also to require some force.

My only concern with installation was the yanking on the OBDII wire as I pulled it through the grommet via a coat hanger. I do see RPM on the JB4 app so I presume I didn't do any damage to it.

Not sure what else to check.

Issue resolved.

Might benefit other users. The fuel connector was placed on the camshaft sensor in error.

spindlewood 10-21-2018 05:20 PM

For lack of a detailed pic showing placement, I erroneously thought the connections would be the same as for the DTUK and used the one in DTUK's install video. Thanks to Rex Guin for helping me with this.

Moved to the correct sensor and surprise the errors went away.:happy

I still have one issue that I hope someone can help me solve. When I move OEM the connector to attach to the JB4 harness, it won't lock. It is inserted all the way but a little black tab prevents the red lock from moving. It looks like that black tab should move out of the way when the male part is inserted but it doesn't. Force alone won't get it to move and I've tried pushing the black tab out of the way. Don't want to break this thing. Anyone else run into this?

Terry @ BMS 10-21-2018 06:17 PM

DTUK? :barf:

Which connection is having the issue? Photo of it?

spindlewood 10-21-2018 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post )
DTUK? :barf:

Which connection is having the issue? Photo of it?

I'm a JB4 customer for a reason:) I needed help locating this sensor and the current pics weren't definitive enough - his install video was decent.

Here's a pic of the Fuel Pressure Sensor connector. The arrow shows the place of the black tab that's holding up things. The red lock can't slide. You can also see in the photo that the two fittings are as far in as possible. Force won't get the black tab out of the way or the red lock to move.

I've also included a pic of the location of the sensor (with the OEM connector removed) if it helps anyone else locate it.

You can see in the second photo that the OEM male part of the connector is metal. Not sure if the plastic JB4 male connector is fitting into the JB4 femaie part in a different way so as not to move the black tab.

Terry @ BMS 10-22-2018 09:54 AM

Ah yes that one is a bit tricky to get latched. I'll have to look at it more closely to see if there is anything we can do on our end to simplify it.

spindlewood 10-22-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Ah yes that one is a bit tricky to get latched. I'll have to look at it more closely to see if there is anything we can do on our end to simplify it.

I got it to work by filing down the triangle protrusions on the JB4 connector and posted an explanation and pics on this Audiworld post.

If you want me to duplicate that post here, let me know.

Terry @ BMS 10-23-2018 08:15 AM

Sure can't hurt to copy it here, thanks!

Nez136 10-23-2018 05:46 PM

Got my JB4 in today and was messing around with the maps. Car pulls pretty damn hard up top now. Pretty impressive for just messing with the boost. Are you guys planning on adding timing and fuel adjustments as well to the pump maps?

50* here in Milwaukee WI. Car was loving it.

George @ BMS 10-23-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nez136 (Post )
Got my JB4 in today and was messing around with the maps. Car pulls pretty damn hard up top now. Pretty impressive for just messing with the boost. Are you guys planning on adding timing and fuel adjustments as well to the pump maps?

50* here in Milwaukee WI. Car was loving it.

The current unit can provide for more fuel quantity at the injector by plugging in the fuel plug. It doesnt harm to add it even if you not using a ethanol mix.
Once the IAT bug is sorted we will evaluate more fueling capability.
The stock ECU does a great job adjusting the timing and has a large adaption range with octane recognition built in so we would rather not mess with it.

Nez136 10-23-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George @ BMS (Post )
The current unit can provide for more fuel quantity at the injector by plugging in the fuel plug. It doesnt harm to add it even if you not using a ethanol mix.
Once the IAT bug is sorted we will evaluate more fueling capability.
The stock ECU does a great job adjusting the timing and has a large adaption range with octane recognition built in so we would rather not mess with it.

Roger that. Got the fuel plug in so maybe Iíll dump some e85 in this weekend. Like posted prior I too couldnít get the thing to fully click so I tapped it up to be safe.

spindlewood 10-23-2018 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the scoop on getting the Fuel Pressure Sensor connector to click and lock. Thanks to Wires for blazing the trail.

The JB4 half of the connector has 2 triangle protrusions which prevent it from sliding all the way into the Audi half. I took a file to the triangles and the connectors clicked in place. I still couldn't press the red lock to lock it in place. This is when I finally figured out how the lock works. The red lock has two parts - the red tab part you press on and a connected upper square piece which has an opening for the black tab. The black tab prevents the lock from being pushed down until the black tab is pushed OUT far enough (I kept thinking the black tab needed to be pushed in). It is pushed out by inserting the connector. Now that the connector was fully in, the black tab should be pushed out far enough for the red locking piece to slide BEHIND the black tab (this prevents the black tab accidentally being pushed and freeing the connector). In my case it still needed a little help. The back of the black tab was accessible and with the help of a small screwdriver it created the necessary room.

To remove the connector you unlock by flicking up the red tab, then pressing the black tab in, and the connector is released and free to pull out.

Here are some before and after pics.

spindlewood 10-23-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Roger that. Got the fuel plug in so maybe Iíll dump some e85 in this weekend. Like posted prior I too couldnít get the thing to fully click so I tapped it up to be safe.

Not sure what kind of tape you used. It gets hot in the engine compartment. I tried electrical tape and checked it after a 30 minute drive. Didn't seem like a good idea.

Nez136 10-23-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindlewood (Post )
Not sure what kind of tape you used. It gets hot in the engine compartment. I tried electrical tape and checked it after a 30 minute drive. Didn't seem like a good idea.

Lol noted :duh:

antsh 10-24-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Sweet.. We've got a really clean way to mount the WMI nozzles too. You guys are going to love it. :)

Happy to be a test mule for the A4 crowd if needed!

Payam @ BMS 10-24-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsh (Post )
Happy to be a test mule for the A4 crowd if needed!

Email me pics of your engine bay :)

Payam@burgertuning.com

antsh 10-24-2018 01:11 PM

Sure thing. Anything specific you would like to see? Your JB4 install guide for the A4 has some nice pics already :P.

Nez136 10-24-2018 04:06 PM

Went to grab some food and the drive system malfunction code came up. Stopped and walked inside to get my food. Came out and light was off. Did a hard pull and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Drive system malfunction, tire pressure malfunction, auto start/stop malfunction, and maybe one other.

Was on map 3. I’ll check back in a bit if the codes cleared.

George @ BMS 10-24-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Went to grab some food and the drive system malfunction code came up. Stopped and walked inside to get my food. Came out and light was off. Did a hard pull and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Drive system malfunction, tire pressure malfunction, auto start/stop malfunction, and maybe one other.

Was on map 3. Iíll check back in a bit if the codes cleared.

Screen shot the codes. Most likely IAT bug related. We haven't had any other faults coming up on any testers or our own car for anything else through the year of testing.

Nez136 10-24-2018 05:06 PM

Makes sense, Iím not too worried about it I know you guys are on it

8A4D
6E33

Then it said 0000 unkown fault

Nez136 10-24-2018 05:28 PM

Just took it for a rip again. First pull was fine, switch to paddles and it did it again.
233F is what it’s reading now

Terry @ BMS 10-24-2018 05:39 PM

There is another bug I noticed the other day where it will sometimes light up every possible light in dash when letting off the gas suddenly on higher boost maps. Added firmware to the first post to see if that helps.

Nez136 10-24-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

There is another bug I noticed the other day where it will sometimes light up every possible light in dash when letting off the gas suddenly on higher boost maps. Added firmware to the first post to see if that helps.

Thatís exactly what is happening here. So did a feel more pulls, bumped it down to map 2 and didnít happen again. Iím wondering if it has to do with the outside temp. Itís down to 40 degrees right now, possibly causing a boost spike?

Terry @ BMS 10-24-2018 05:52 PM

Basically it's caused by the ECU seeing more boost than it expects to see, due to the JB4 not spoofing the boost when gas pedal isn't pressed at all. We adjust boost as a function of pedal input to keep it smooth but that is a little hole in the logic when letting off suddenly. Let me know if the firmware update resolves it! If not I'll keep working.

Nez136 10-24-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Basically it's caused by the ECU seeing more boost than it expects to see, due to the JB4 not spoofing the boost when gas pedal isn't pressed at all. We adjust boost as a function of pedal input to keep it smooth but that is a little hole in the logic when letting off suddenly. Let me know if the firmware update resolves it! If not I'll keep working.

Roger that! Thanks for the quick response. Parked for the night but will do some runs on the way to work tmrw then tmrw night when it gets a bit colder:burnrubber: