N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N55 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   benefits of going over 21 psi ? (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46432)

Bours 04-21-2017 05:42 AM

benefits of going over 21 psi ?

hey guys im currently n55 FBO minus intercooler on meth 95/5 20psi and just ran 12.360 ET @ 113mph as some of you may know.

I just bought a N20 sensor and adapter to go over 20 psi

Id like to know if there is potential of going even faster and making bigger numbers by running like 23 psi and adding E off course to get better timing

OR

past 20 psi on stocker there is nothing else to gain ? i know im pwm maxed out from 4700 rpm to 7000 rpm right now but will i get more torque or hp in the mid range or down low by doing so ? I wanna get my 12 flat before going PS2 let me know in the comments section below !

JB4OFF 04-21-2017 06:36 AM

You would have to evaluate the log and see for yourself. I would probably switch to 100% meth content and run some e30, if you plan on doing that. After a certain point, you'll lose efficiency. I mean you can only push so much air out of a straw. Your basically at 12 flat. Just need a better 60ft. I wouldnt split hairs over .3 milliseconds...

Bours 04-21-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB4OFF (Post )
You would have to evaluate the log and see for yourself. I would probably switch to 100% meth content and run some e30, if you plan on doing that. After a certain point, you'll lose efficiency. I mean you can only push so much air out of a straw. Your basically at 12 flat. Just need a better 60ft. I wouldnt split hairs over .3 milliseconds...

yea good info bud. In your opinion, past 21 psi am i loosing effiency ? e30 and 100 meth thats exactly what i was planning :) im guessing ill get more torque down low but nothing mid range and up (*maxed out and hp maxed out )

yea i need a 1.6 60ft ill practice on that

if this doesnt work at least ill have n20 sensor for my incoming ps2

feel free to give advice

Bours 04-21-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnm135i (Post )
Stock turbo - right? If so there isn't any more hp in it, but you might get 30nm more for 200rpm :)

yup stocker

30nm lolll thats nothing and where in the power band these 200 rpm ?

JB4OFF 04-21-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bours (Post )
yea good info bud. In your opinion, past 21 psi am i loosing effiency ? e30 and 100 meth thats exactly what i was planning :) im guessing ill get more torque down low but nothing mid range and up (*maxed out and hp maxed out )

yea i need a 1.6 60ft ill practice on that

if this doesnt work at least ill have n20 sensor for my incoming ps2

feel free to give advice

Any time brother. Again, idk you would have to look at you logs and see. If you have a vbox that will also be helpful. And, most importantly You need to judge how it feels from driving it since you know your car best.

I just don't want you to blow a turbo just for a time slip.

Bours 04-21-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Any time brother. Again, idk you would have to look at you logs and see. If you have a vbox that will also be helpful. And, most importantly You need to judge how it feels from driving it since you know your car best.

I just don't want you to blow a turbo just for a time slip.

well said :) yea a vbox is in my plans for sure ( such useful data )

yea but to be honest i kinda want to wear it fast i dont really care cause i will upgrade to ps2 anyway . I just hope it doesnt bring down other important components around the turbo !

JB4OFF 04-21-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

well said :) yea a vbox is in my plans for sure ( such useful data )

yea but to be honest i kinda want to wear it fast i dont really care cause i will upgrade to ps2 anyway . I just hope it doesnt bring down other important components around the turbo !

If the cars maintenance is all up to date and is healthy. Then fiddle with it. Up it until you get a negative reaction. Take it 1/2 psi at a time lol

Jmwilson125 04-21-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

hey guys im currently n55 FBO minus intercooler on meth 95/5 20psi and just ran 12.360 ET @ 113mph as some of you may know.

I just bought a N20 sensor and adapter to go over 20 psi

Id like to know if there is potential of going even faster and making bigger numbers by running like 23 psi and adding E off course to get better timing

OR

past 20 psi on stocker there is nothing else to gain ? i know im pwm maxed out from 4700 rpm to 7000 rpm right now but will i get more torque or hp in the mid range or down low by doing so ? I wanna get my 12 flat before going PS2 let me know in the comments section below !

What are your jb4 methanol settings if you don't mind me asking. I am in a similar boat right now. Fbo e30 meth50/50

So far I have only hit low 18 psi on additive 75. However, I don't want to wear my turbo out, I decided not to go PS2.

Bours 04-21-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmwilson125 (Post )
What are your jb4 methanol settings if you don't mind me asking. I am in a similar boat right now. Fbo e30 meth50/50

So far I have only hit low 18 psi on additive 75. However, I don't want to wear my turbo out, I decided not to go PS2.

i put additive 50

meth safety 0

meth flow 7.5 psi

meth trigger 0

its weird that u only hit 18 if additive is at 75 might have a boost leak

may i ask why no ps2 ?

JB4OFF 04-21-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

You need more meth. You might not be hitting targets because of an octane issue. Are still stock flash?

Jmwilson125 04-21-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

i put additive 50

meth safety 0

meth flow 7.5 psi

meth trigger 0

may i ask why no ps2 ?

Looking at the chart Terry posted it shows 75 additive targets 19.8 if ign avg is 1.5 or below. My ign avg has been between 2.5 and 3. I suspect it will be a little lower with a tad more e85.

No PS2 mostly because of cost. I'm young and bought an expensive car and modded under warranty. I am playing with fire as is, I don't think I want to play with the inferno just yet.

It is not out of the question but as of right now I am pretty happy with performance. Just trying to maximize the benefit of the wmi setup that I just added

Jmwilson125 04-21-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

You need more meth. You might not be hitting targets because of an octane issue. Are still stock flash?

Yes no flash tune, just jb4. I have not found a place to purchase meth yet, I have just been trying the boost juice so far. I have a couple bottles of heet, but I am hesitant to use that.

Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! 04-21-2017 12:13 PM

Nothing much to be gained except a little torque down low...that isn't going to help you much though. On the PS2, definitely!

JB4OFF 04-21-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Yes no flash tune, just jb4. I have not found a place to purchase meth yet, I have just been trying the boost juice so far. I have a couple bottles of heet, but I am hesitant to use that.

Contact vp fuels and they should have dealer near by. Heet works but expensive if your sole purpose is meth content. I've used it before. You can also try denatured alcohol

Jmwilson125 04-21-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Contact vp fuels and they should have dealer near by. Heet works but expensive if your sole purpose is meth content. I've used it before. You can also try denatured alcohol

Ah I did look up VP fuels too. Shipping cost $120 for harzard fee. If there is one local I could pick up. I'll have to call. I'm in the Boston area.

JB4OFF 04-21-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Ah I did look up VP fuels too. Shipping cost $120 for harzard fee. If there is one local I could pick up. I'll have to call. I'm in the Boston area.

Race shops are usually dealers for them. Give them a call and I'm sure they can get it without paying the hazament fee. Give denatured alky a shot as well. Can easily be purchased at a local hardware store. It's mixture of ethanol/methanol 45/55 usually or 50/50 is the mix in those. And lower your additive. You may be over boosting and car is trying too correct it by lowering targets, closing throttle, etc. believe me a higher number doesn't always mean more power. I prefer just straight methanol, straight denatured alcohol or straight e98. Believe me water doesn't help **** with IAT's in the charge pipe. Let the FMIC keep everything nice and cool. Timing should ramp up nicely with more.

Bours 04-21-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! (Post )
Nothing much to be gained except a little torque down low...that isn't going to help you much though. On the PS2, definitely!

stocker was a nice story on to the next one i guess ! thx steve ! ( ps2 )

Bimmer_Boost 04-21-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt split hairs over .3 milliseconds...

They are tenths of a second not milliseconds.

Quote:

Two things that will come into play. If he is running JB4 only, as he states below, then he will not be on the higher psi targets that you see with the MHD flash, therefor he needs a higher additive to target higher boost. The target builds off map 1 boost level. I saw the other was also mentioned. You will only see the full additive boost value if your AVG IGN is lower than 1.5.

What was odd about this is in your logs boost did not reduce when your AVG IGN went above 1.5

Quote:

Yes no flash tune, just jb4.

Jmwilson125 04-21-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer_Boost (Post )
They are tenths of a second not milliseconds.

Two things that will come into play. If he is running JB4 only, as he states below, then he will not be on the higher psi targets that you see with the MHD flash, therefor he needs a higher additive to target higher boost. The target builds off map 1 boost level. I saw the other was also mentioned. You will only see the full additive boost value if your AVG IGN is lower than 1.5.

What was odd about this is in your logs boost did not reduce when your AVG IGN went above 1.5

Target should be 19.8 I think I hit 18.2 with an avg ign of 2.3ish

Bours 04-22-2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnm135i (Post )
Flat 20psi vs flat 16psi. Just more torque - same hp up top.

yea up top same hp but if you look at midrange there i clearly quite a bit more hp and more torque

i know after 5.5k rpm it same but in the midrange there might be more torque a few whp to squeeze out imo ill log it and report once i receive my n20 sensor

i dont think too much people tried 23-24 psi on stock n55 turbo e series

tho 04-22-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Not really part of the original topic, but if you're in the Boston area, I buy my methanol from

Karl's East Coast Speed
3145 Post Road
Warwick RI 02886

The last time I bought it, it was $7/gal. I bought 2 gallons, and mixed in 2 gallons of distilled H2O and added some drops of red dye. If you want more info, shoot me a PM. I don't track my car and I'm not on boost regularly so I haven't used up the 4 gal yet.

Jmwilson125 04-23-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tho (Post )
Not really part of the original topic, but if you're in the Boston area, I buy my methanol from

Karl's East Coast Speed
3145 Post Road
Warwick RI 02886

The last time I bought it, it was $7/gal. I bought 2 gallons, and mixed in 2 gallons of distilled H2O and added some drops of red dye. If you want more info, shoot me a PM. I don't track my car and I'm not on boost regularly so I haven't used up the 4 gal yet.

Sounds good. I'll have to check them out. And to loop this back to 21+ psi topic. Does anyone have fueling suggestions to hit that Target based on my mods. I have ethanol available and wmi kit. I have been logging and playing with it, but haven't found the sweet spot yet. E30 and 60/40 meth. I'll pay the logs in the other section.