N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N54 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can I install my VRSF 3" pipes using RAMPS? (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45052)

RadarContact 02-14-2017 06:02 PM

Can I install my VRSF 3" pipes using RAMPS?

Wondering if installing my ***** would be possible using just ramps? I have access to a lift, but the logistics of getting the car there and home are a PITA.

Thoughts? I'm getting impatient wanting to put them on.

// Radar //

ms335i 02-14-2017 06:14 PM

Hell yea you can. I installed turbos on my car once on ramps and then a single turbo kit on ramps again. It's definitely do able.

RadarContact 02-14-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms335i (Post )
Hell yea you can. I installed turbos on my car once on ramps and then a single turbo kit on ramps again. It's definitely do able.

How much harder than up over my head on a lift? Can you say??

ms335i 02-14-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarContact (Post )
How much harder than up over my head on a lift? Can you say??

It's gonna be a little bit harder but if you've worked on your back on a car before you'll be fine. Hardest part is the oxygen sensors. You'll need a really short wrench to get at those.

Edson 02-14-2017 09:47 PM

I replaced turbos and did my clutch on ramps, so yes **'s are definitely doable on ramps.

iminhell1 02-14-2017 10:19 PM

I removed the O2's after i puled the ***.
... and holy crap. did they leave enough lead wire? ... label them.

N54QC 02-14-2017 10:20 PM

I did/do everything on my car off of ramps or jackstands. It would be nice to have a lift, but it's not a option for some of us, so you do with what you got.

N54QC 02-14-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell1 (Post )
I removed the O2's after i puled the ***.
... and holy crap. did they leave enough lead wire? ... label them.

I just take a bunch of pictures so I have something to reference, comes in handy down the road too in case you run into another situation. :rolleyes2

Vogt.ryan 02-15-2017 06:52 AM

Did mine in ramps the only downside was having to crawl out every time to get a tool, other than that I don't see how a lift would have made it much easier

RadarContact 02-15-2017 06:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty good for a shade tree, so I think I can do it without too many problems.

- I'll probably just cut a wrench down to the right size once I see what's needed, thanks!

- leads...are they extra long or are they too short? Couldn't tell if you were being sarchastic. From what I understand it doesn't matter which lead goes on which O2 sensor. ???

Thanks,
// Radar //

Motolawyer 02-15-2017 06:54 AM

I think most people do these on ramps, myself included. It isn't that bad of a job. In short;
1. remove plastic guards
2. unbolt the sway bar
3. unbolt and push up the steering rack (do not have to completely remove)
4. do your thing on the exhaust
If the car has time and mileage on it some of the exhaust bolts suck to take off

RadarContact 02-15-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagol (Post )
I think most people do these on ramps, myself included. It isn't that bad of a job. In short;
1. remove plastic guards
2. unbolt the sway bar
3. unbolt and push up the steering rack (do not have to completely remove)
4. do your thing on the exhaust
If the car has time and mileage on it some of the exhaust bolts suck to take off

Thanks

I watched "the" video on YouTube on this a few times. Don't remember seeing them unbolt the sway bar. Necessary or just makes things easier once it's done?

Also, does anything HAVE to be torqued to specific values or can I use common sense and the forearm meter for this job? My torque wrench sucks.

2010 / 67,000 miles (garage kept for the first 65,000)

Motolawyer 02-15-2017 07:18 AM

if memory serves I had to undue the sway bar to move the steering rack forward far enough to get it out of the way. Much easier than removing the steering rack

RadarContact 02-15-2017 07:21 AM

Gotcha. I appreciate it!

ms335i 02-15-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarContact (Post )
Thanks for all the responses!

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty good for a shade tree, so I think I can do it without too many problems.

- I'll probably just cut a wrench down to the right size once I see what's needed, thanks!

- leads...are they extra long or are they too short? Couldn't tell if you were being sarchastic. From what I understand it doesn't matter which lead goes on which O2 sensor. ???

Thanks,
// Radar //

WRONG ON THE O2 sensors. They are color coded one is black the other is grey, place them according to how they were when you pulled the ***. Just take pictures of the process. :drinking:

RadarContact 02-15-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

WRONG ON THE O2 sensors. They are color coded one is black the other is grey, place them according to how they were when you pulled the ***. Just take pictures of the process. :drinking:

Wilco! Not a problem putting them back where they came from. Cheers!

Vogt.ryan 02-15-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagol (Post )
if memory serves I had to undue the sway bar to move the steering rack forward far enough to get it out of the way. Much easier than removing the steering rack

I had to swing the sway bar out of the way, I still loosened the steering rack and pushed it back on give more space as well it's only two bolts so it wasn't bad

iminhell1 02-15-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Double wrong.

I am speaking of the FRONT O2 sensors. They are both black and interchangable.

And I'm not kidding about the length of the leads. They are about 5-6 FEET long. runs from the ** up and around the back side of the head to the front DS near the oil filter housing.
Having the connectors on the PS of the head would have been much easier for replacement, etc.
As it is now, I couldn't see where i puled the leads out of and they are just back there on something. I know I didn't get them routed as stock. And there is no way to get a picture of what is back there.

N54QC 02-15-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell1 (Post )
Double wrong.

I am speaking of the FRONT O2 sensors. They are both black and interchangable.

And I'm not kidding about the length of the leads. They are about 5-6 FEET long. runs from the ** up and around the back side of the head to the front DS near the oil filter housing.
Having the connectors on the PS of the head would have been much easier for replacement, etc.
As it is now, I couldn't see where i puled the leads out of and they are just back there on something. I know I didn't get them routed as stock. And there is no way to get a picture of what is back there.

Mine are gray and black. If yours are colored the same for some reason, just put some tape on one. Take pictures as I originally said and you are good to go.

klipseracer 02-15-2017 03:36 PM

I did my **'s on jack stands. Not sure if I'd enjoy doing it on ramps, for those that did, wasn't it tight underneath? Why not just use jack stands?

Vogt.ryan 02-15-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipseracer (Post )
I did my **'s on jack stands. Not sure if I'd enjoy doing it on ramps, for those that did, wasn't it tight underneath? Why not just use jack stands?

My ramps are slightly taller than most as they are homemade. But sometimes haveing the car too high in the air can be annoying I prefer to keep things as close as I can do if it falls it doesn't fall as far. And it easier on the arms

Motolawyer 02-15-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipseracer (Post )

For what ever reason I feel safer working with the ramps than the jack stands. Plus then I don't risk damaging anything underneath when jacking / standing, there was plenty of room for working, I use the ramps from walmart.

blaster3500 02-15-2017 09:19 PM

The sway bar needs to be moved only if the front wheels are on the ground. If the car is jack stands just unbolt the steering rack. As far as O2 sensors they are black and grey from the factory. Some people replace with the longer of the 2 (black) because it is cheaper. So yes they are the same part but do not switch them between banks on the install

RadarContact 02-16-2017 08:09 AM

Lots of great info and tips! I appreciate it, guys!

XM-N54 02-17-2017 10:45 AM

Can you still do the **'s on ramps for the xi model? Or no due to having to drop the subframe?