N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lexus, Maserati, Alfa, Jeep, Diesel, McLaren, and other new applications (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Volvo T6 support? (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58576)

viperware 06-26-2019 06:22 PM

Volvo T6 support?

Thinking about getting one with the 4-cyl turbo/supercharged engine. Probably some room for improvement on that little guy.

Divani-Kingston 01-18-2020 05:32 PM

Hey, didn't realize there was a section for non-BMW stuff on this forum!

I have a T6 S90 and with some patience, I think we may see an application for the T6 in the future?!

It's an impressive platform with surprising amounts of room to grow. Here's to future!:drinking:

Terry @ BMS 01-19-2020 09:22 AM

Not that familiar with the platform. Photo of the TMAP/MAP sensors so I can see what electronics it uses?

Divani-Kingston 01-19-2020 10:25 AM

Alrighty! :)

Divani-Kingston 04-14-2020 04:41 PM

Never mind. All is well.

Divani-Kingston 05-05-2020 06:29 PM

Alright!

Having gathered an understanding of this JB4 unit, I'm fairly confident in the growth of this platform as a stout tuning option. Thank you so much @Payam and @Terry!

The E85 virtual sensor is a little finicky, but it works well enough. On one particularly hard run, I know I had a 40.5% Ethanol content with what I'm calling the "Borealis" tune (Map#6 tapering the low end and high end with a max of +6--subject to change with farther exploration of Tubo limits and viability for a higher end coded map) but it jumped from 4-6 (number as a reading) depending on the log.

On lesser runs, it showed content from 45-55 (number as a reading). It's all good. I like that it exists and it is definitely welcome... The car has auto-tuned for the increase in Ethanol Content after driving for a few miles. I have switched back to 93 octane and it's running a bit rich, but it's trending down again (Trims leaning) to help revert.

So, for right now, I know the car can learn that it's running on a higher concentration of Ethanol and make changes. I haven't tried a full tank of E85, yet, but I'll work up to that after I get a reading of the car's output on the current maps.

Seems like the turbocharger is plenty happy dancing around the 25-28psi range, and in "Polestar" mode, the factory DME likes to request 23-25psi at WOT with 93. IATs are regularly close to ambient temperature (Within 8 degrees) after spirited jaunts.

There are some weird dips in timing at certain RPM, but after doing some research, that's hardcoded into the DME between the Switchpoints of the Supercharger and turbocharger (The Supercharger decouples after the turbo takes over, and they tuned in a drop of ignition when it comes on and when the turbo comes in) It's not noticeable in the power delivery and it's only a few degrees of retard.

The stock DME tends to cut throttle pretty regularly, in comparison to the N54, so I'm not freaking out about it snapping the blade closed to control Boost Pressure.

Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone in case they're waiting for this product.

Divani-Kingston 07-04-2020 02:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Alright! New info.

So i have two runs from the track. I've attached the runs and the time slips.

So, based on the time slips and the ETs, I'm thinking somewhere around 420bhp for the 13.65@101mph run and around 380bhp for the 14.2

The problem with the 14.2 is the heat soak as you can see. the guy who said his dyno was linked was actually NOT linked and the car kept cutting boost. I need to find a REAL linked dyno to get actual power numbers but for now, this is what I have.

Terry @ BMS 07-04-2020 03:38 PM

For logs lets see the CSV files!

Divani-Kingston 07-04-2020 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go Terry!

Terry @ BMS 07-05-2020 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Data side looks pretty normal to me! Would have been interesting to get a map0 run/log for comparison at the track too.

Fortuna 08-12-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post )
Data side looks pretty normal to me! Would have been interesting to get a map0 run/log for comparison at the track too.

Hi Terry. I have xc90 t6 polestar. Are you interested in developing a jb4 for this engine?

Divani-Kingston 09-11-2020 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is essentially the same engine and setup.

The T6 in your vehicle has the B4204T27 which is what I call the T27. The system will work for your car.

I have been doing a lot of Beta testing to make sure this is safe for use. I have about 6,500 miles on it.

I have found the Ethanol Limit of our engines and what to expect. I also have a walkthrough on how to install it. However, I am trying to make sure I have a Dynochart to make sure we have HARD NUMBERS as to the changes.

I was recently approached by a guy who he and I had a hair-raising run. He was in a stock AMG GT-R... he found me after a couple of months after that run we had during the height of the Corona-Speeders thing... he was impressed with how well the Volvo kept pace with him.

Anyway, that had nothing to do with what you were asking. Sorry for the delay in the response to you. I've been trying to keep track of this forum!

Divani-Kingston 09-11-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As an aside, if you have an earlier model of the "T27" make sure you've had the piston and ring changes to the updated version. The problem with the former version pistons and rings is that they're susceptible to damage and oil burning.

before you try to modify your engine make sure you have the pistons replaced. It's a Technical Journal in circulation for Volvo about this and I believe it should be covered under warranty.

if you remove your engine cover, you'll see the serial number of the engine. Make sure the number is higher than *1501327*