N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension and Brakes (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is alignment same for a lowered car?? (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49339)

RadarContact 09-11-2017 03:10 PM

Is alignment same for a lowered car??
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

I put coilovers on my E60 and dropped it down quite a bit, probably about an inch and a half from the already lowered M sport stance.

{After I installed them, I brought it to my local tire place to get an alignment done. When I picked up the car he showed me a computer printout showing that everything was at zero except for one wheel which couldn't be corrected to zero; the camber was off by a hair (0.01?? I forget)}

Anyways, my question is this: do the alignment specs change for a lowered car or do they stay the same? Should something have been adjusted considering the car sits much lower than oem? (I know NOTHING about alignments! Lol)

Thanks.

// Radar //

Attachment 67329

RadarContact 09-18-2017 10:27 AM

:shrug No one knows, or it's just that dumb of a question? Lol

ianc 09-18-2017 08:36 PM

The specs themselves will stay the same. The amount of change in them per unit of wheel deflection will change however...

ianc

RadarContact 09-21-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianc (Post )
The specs themselves will stay the same. The amount of change in them per unit of wheel deflection will change however...

ianc

So, I'm really ignorant with this stuff in particular, so you're saying...
If a garage looks up the specs for my car with a factory oem setup, and sets everything up going by those specs then my car will be properly aligned. It will just take more "movement" of my custom setup to get it there?

ianc 09-23-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

If a garage looks up the specs for my car with a factory oem setup, and sets everything up going by those specs then my car will be properly aligned.
Yes, although 'correct' is a moving target. Are you trying to optimize for handling? You definitely need more camber than the factory setting, which is optimized for tire wear. Toe is subjective: more gives more stability, less improves response. Google is your friend...

Quote:

It will just take more "movement" of my custom setup to get it there?
No. Generally, the lower the car is, the more the suspension geometry changes for a given suspension deflection while driving.

ianc

LessIsMore 10-05-2017 08:21 AM

alignment specs are when car is static.
However lowering changes the angles and motions of suspension while turning and driving. so even with same static alignment specs as stock, the car may feel or handle differently that at higher ride height.

RadarContact 10-05-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessIsMore (Post )
alignment specs are when car is static.
However lowering changes the angles and motions of suspension while turning and driving. so even with same static alignment specs as stock, the car may feel or handle differently that at higher ride height.

So, if someone really knew what they were doing with my car, would they set up the alignment according to the oem specs for a non-lowered car, or would they “know” to deviate from those and adjust it differently on purpose?

If so, do you know what they would change?

LessIsMore 10-06-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarContact (Post )
So, if someone really knew what they were doing with my car, would they set up the alignment according to the oem specs for a non-lowered car, or would they “know” to deviate from those and adjust it differently on purpose?

If so, do you know what they would change?

It would probably take a suspension expert like a road-race shop to accurately guess how a lowered set-up would need to be tuned to maximize dynamic handling characteristics through changing the static alignment settings, based on what you are looking for.

No idea how it would need to change - but to avoid excessive tire wear and for a DD, I'd start with OEM settings or close to it. Then go from there.
i.e. car feels dull/numb on turn-in, decrease front camber; or if it feels unstable, then increase toe a little. etc.

casterson 10-08-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessIsMore (Post )
alignment specs are when car is static.
However lowering changes the angles and motions of suspension while turning and driving. so even with same static alignment specs as stock, the car may feel or handle differently that at higher ride height.

Pretty much this. Even though the specs stay the same, the car will feel differently. Don't think it's a massive difference though, but you will definitely notice it


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Copyright © 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com