N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kia & Hyundai Turbo (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Reading logs, a little help please. (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66161)

GB Cerato 08-07-2021 08:52 PM

Reading logs, a little help please.

1 Attachment(s)
Morning all,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions so I can read my logs with some more knowledge.

The car is a 2019 Cerato (Forte) GT 1.6l turbo

Only mods are Velossa big mouth, KN drop in filter and HKS plugs gapped to .022

I have attached a map 2 - 3rd gear log from today, fuel is BP 98 RON (93 octane in north America)

My questions are

1. Does the data look safe to run map 2 on this fuel?

2. should I be monitoring IGN AVG or IGN 1,2,3,4 on the app ?

3. What does fuel trim tell me? what are the max / min numbers?

4. How much timing is safe because it looks like it is pulling up to 7.5 degrees at the top end?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Andy-J-Knight 08-08-2021 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB Cerato (Post )
Morning all,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions so I can read my logs with some more knowledge.

The car is a 2019 Cerato (Forte) GT 1.6l turbo

Only mods are Velossa big mouth, KN drop in filter and HKS plugs gapped to .022

I have attached a map 2 - 3rd gear log from today, fuel is BP 98 RON (93 octane in north America)

My questions are

1. Does the data look safe to run map 2 on this fuel?

2. should I be monitoring IGN AVG or IGN 1,2,3,4 on the app ?

3. What does fuel trim tell me? what are the max / min numbers?

4. How much timing is safe because it looks like it is pulling up to 7.5 degrees at the top end?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

My understanding is that ign_1 shows you the amount of advance on cylinder 1. Advancing the timing helps increase high-end power (i.e. the spark is firing earlier in the compression cycle). What you are looking for is big step drops in this value which generally means that you don't have sufficient octane in your fuel to support the level of boost you are commanding and are approaching detonation. The ECU is pulling timing in order to prevent detonation from occurring. At this point you could decrease boost or increase octane (or maybe both).

Different protocols are used to read ign_1 compared to 2-4 so there will be some variance between the two.

To my untrained eye the advance is still going up as you go up the rev range rather than dropping so on that basis I would say all is good. However, best to let Terry etc validate as I am amateur at best when it comes to reading these.

That's the way I understand it anyway. I'm sure somebody will tell me if I am wrong :-)

Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! 08-09-2021 10:02 AM

Why do you have fuel control disabled?

Otherwise the log looks pretty normal.

If you want to read up on logging parameters....here you go.

Logging Parameters and their Meaning - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

GB Cerato 08-09-2021 07:25 PM

I have fuel control disabled because I dont have the fuel wire installed? is that not correct?

I have read that info about logging parameters 4 or 5 times but some of it confuses me. I understand AF ratios, boost, target but ignition timing still plays with my head.

I just dont know how much timing is a safe number? 8 degrees, 10 degrees and should I be looking at IGN 1 or avg IGN?

Thanks

Djfourmonie 08-09-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB Cerato (Post )
I have fuel control disabled because I dont have the fuel wire installed? is that not correct?

I have read that info about logging parameters 4 or 5 times but some of it confuses me. I understand AF ratios, boost, target but ignition timing still plays with my head.

I just dont know how much timing is a safe number? 8 degrees, 10 degrees and should I be looking at IGN 1 or avg IGN?

Thanks

If you are using the app to read your logs, it's simple.

What I have shown is AFR, Boost (Stock Boost + JB4), RPM, Throttle, Pedal, Ign Overall (Ign 1), IAT and WMI flow (if enabled).

The only thing worth talking about though is Ign 1 which the average of all four cylinders.

Any negative readings is 0 or no advance. So anything above zero is the PCM advancing the timing. 4-5 degrees advance is normal with pump gas

I see 8-9 degrees under boost and as boost tappers upwards of 11-13 degrees with E30 + WMI.

When you start the car in the morning, during initial start up at high idle the car is doing a fuel quality check. That is why I feel it's important to run at least E20 if E85 pumps are available to you.

You get higher timing at part throttle making the car much faster, faster than it is in Sport mode with pump gas, it is that dramatic.

Max Power pump gas = 216 whp (Map 2)
Max Power E40 = 250 whp (Map 5)

GB Cerato 08-10-2021 01:06 AM

Thanks for the info, helps clarify some things.

8-10 degrees under boost is a normal amount on Map 2 running 93 octane?

I will monitor IGN 1 from now on as well as boost, AFR and IAT.

Thanks again.

Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! 08-10-2021 10:28 AM

I'd recommend getting the fuel wires installed.

For timing...you really have no control over that as it's determined by the flash. However what you do want to keep an eye on is timing corrections, that's usually due to too much boost and insufficient octane. Generally speaking once you start seeing those and plugs are good...it's time to back off or add more octane.

Djfourmonie 08-10-2021 10:54 AM

You can always put it on a dyno.

1) The load is consistent
2) No risk of getting a ticket

Thing is I already did that for anybody with a 1.6L GDI-T.

Max power pump (Map 2)
Max power anything else (Map 5)

There is still 2-3 tenths (20-30 hp) just the water methanol system.