JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N54 (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Introducing myself (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27956)

Viorage 11-29-2014 01:12 PM

Introducing myself

Just wanted to introduce myself. Im new to all this and have a lot to learn.

Im building my 335i, not doing much but here is what I have so far.

JB4 (installed)

Ordered and ready to install-
ETS- 3" dp
ETS- 2.5" Exhaust
ETS- Chargepipe
ETS- 5" FMIC

I went all ETS because they gave me a hell of a deal and I have heard great things about their products.

Im not sure what else to do. BOV? HPFP? ( still need to find out if mine has been replaced due to the recall)

Anyway Looking forward to reading and learning all that I can. Take care fellas

Bimmer_Boost 11-29-2014 02:05 PM

I would look into getting an oil cooler if your car doesn't have one. A lot of people either add meth or fill up with an e85 mixture (if you have a station near you)

Viorage 11-29-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer_Boost (Post )
I would look into getting an oil cooler if your car doesn't have one. A lot of people either add meth or fill up with an e85 mixture (if you have a station near you)

yeah Im looking into an oil cooler as well.

This isn't a daily driver btw more of a fun little project and something to play around with when its nice out.

Viorage 11-29-2014 02:11 PM

Im struggling to find information on the BOV. Are there any threads about it? Search for me yields nothing much.

My charge pipes are flanged for Tial, HKS and I think another one. I would like to install everything at once and go get a tune.

The BOV is the only big remaining question mark for me

PR3CI5N335i 11-29-2014 02:59 PM

You don't need a BOV but they are fun to have on the car. I have the hks SSQV 4 and it works well. For performance I'd suggest reading up on the BMS flash for your car (should be msd80 I8AOS). Since you're running a JB4 you can stack it with the flash. If you plan on running E85 look into the SteveAZ lpfp upgrade options.

Once you do these mods and run map 7 you'll be around 450whp. If you want more power than that you'll need do upgrade your turbos.

Viorage 11-29-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i (Post )
You don't need a BOV but they are fun to have on the car. I have the hks SSQV 4 and it works well. For performance I'd suggest reading up on the BMS flash for your car (should be msd80 I8AOS). Since you're running a JB4 you can stack it with the flash. If you plan on running E85 look into the SteveAZ lpfp upgrade options.

Once you do these mods and run map 7 you'll be around 450whp. If you want more power than that you'll need do upgrade your turbos.

Ok awesome. Im looking into the BMS flash right now.

Like I said Im still undecided if Im going to go meth, E85 mix or just a high octane. There is a VP Race Fuel, i believe 104 Octane near where I live.

Concerning the BOV what PSI would you suggest?

PR3CI5N335i 11-29-2014 04:56 PM

If you have 104 unleaded available then you'll be fine running that over E85. You might want to still add Meth for its cooling benefits.

For the BOV get the red 18psi spring or the highest available.

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

If you have 104 unleaded available then you'll be fine running that over E85. You might want to still add Meth for its cooling benefits.

For the BOV get the red 18psi spring or the highest available.

sorry for my ignorance but the BMW flash is a map/tune?

I was recommended Tial BOV, would you recommend this or HKS?

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:03 PM

thank you so much for the help, I sincerely appreciate it. I know The search function is what I should be using. but it can be quite overwhelming. Im still learning the damn acronyms. ha

Russell @ BMS 11-29-2014 05:16 PM

JB4 is a "tune". The JB4 has several available "maps" that generally change the available boost pressure and integrate with other systems like meth/water injection.

"Flashes" are a database that gets loaded into the engine's Digital Motor Electronics control unit (DME).

Welcome to the club!

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS (Post )
JB4 is a "tune". The JB4 has several available "maps" that generally change the available boost pressure and integrate with other systems like meth/water injection.

"Flashes" are a database that gets loaded into the engine's Digital Motor Electronics control unit (DME).

Welcome to the club!

Okay thank you I was just reading about this. This makes it much more clear.

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:36 PM

It looks like the Chargepipe I ordered has no bung for meth. I think I should of gone with the BMS. Should I cancel the order and go with the BMS? I really want to have the option to run meth, even if I dont.

PR3CI5N335i 11-29-2014 05:40 PM

I prefer the ER long version but it cost more than the BMS CP so that's up to you. If you run Meth I'd suggest 2 meth bungs so that you can run dual nozzles

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

I prefer the ER long version but it cost more than the BMS CP so that's up to you. If you run Meth I'd suggest 2 meth bungs so that you can run dual nozzles

ER long version?

I dont really care about the price I want to do it once and right. I think I am going to cancel the ETS Charge pipe and switch the BMS or this ER???

It will still bolt up to the ETS 5" FMIC correct?

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:47 PM

Evolution Racewerks? That looks good comes with the 2 bungs and the Tial BOV. I found it for $520. Does this sound like the one I need " Polished w/ Tial BOV (2 Meth Bungs)"

PR3CI5N335i 11-29-2014 05:48 PM

Yeah that's it.
Long version means you won't need an elbow to connect the upper CP to the lower lower CP. With your fmic did you buy the lower CP? (From the throttle body to the fmic there's 2 chargepipes, the upper which attaches to the throttle body and the lower which attaches to the fmic)

Viorage 11-29-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's it.
Long version means you won't need an elbow to connect the upper CP to the lower lower CP. With your fmic did you buy the lower CP? (From the throttle body to the fmic there's 2 chargepipes, the upper which attaches to the throttle body and the lower which attaches to the fmic)

I dont think I ordered the correct CP. I am going to call on Monday and Cancel the ETS CP.

Then I will get the ER CP but I have no idea about the lower cp and upper cp, sounds foreign to me. Could you link me what I should get Or a website I can research this.

ETS FMIC kit
The ETS intercooler Kit Features

Full Intercooler Kit- Includes Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Couplers,Clamps
Direct Bolt on with absolutely no cutting
Replaces Restrictive Stock Piping
Max HP Gains of 21.05hp
Over 60deg Lower Temps
No Heat Soak after a Pull
Reduces Knock
Durable Stainless Steel Piping
4 Ply Silicone Couplers
Breeze Premium T-Bolt Clamps
Works On Both N54 (Twin Turbo) or N55 (Single Turbo)
7" Requires trimming of bumper cover
ETS Test results are on our 5" Front Mount Intercooler

Does that have the correct couplings needed for the CP?

Viorage 11-29-2014 06:01 PM

Thank you so much for helping me realize I had messed this up. Saved me some shipping money, I appreciate that.

Going to run the ER CP with the Tial Bov, hopefully I can find the "long" version. If anybody knows of a reputable site to buy the ER CP please PM me or post here. Thank you

Viorage 11-29-2014 08:50 PM

Ok this is what I am about to order once I get refunded from ETS. Is this all I need?

N54 (3.0TT) Diverter Valve Charge Pipe

DB - Free Anodizing: Yes, I want free Type III Hard Anodize Black
Model Year (Build Date) DV Pipe: 2006 to April 2009
Diverter Pipe Finish: Type III Hard Anodized Black
Diverter Valve Option: TIAL Q Blow Off Valve (Black)
1/8" NPT Methanol/NOS Injector Bungs: Two (2) Methanol Injection Bungs
PROMOTIONAL: FREE KEY LANYARD: Yes
PROMOTIONAL: FREE LICENSE PLATE FRAME: Yes

Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! 11-29-2014 09:02 PM

Just my .02

I'd run E85 over 104 and here is why.

-Nothing against meth but with proper tuning and E85...it's not really needed unless you get to a point that you are supplementing fueling with it. However there are other solutions for that now as well.

-IAT's aren't as critical with E85 unless you're in a really hot climate but even then the gains are minimal.

-E85 is much cheaper than 104 until you get to the point that you are making big power and need to upgrade other components of your fuel system.

-Cleaner install as there are no additional tanks or pumps like there are with meth.

PR3CI5N335i 11-29-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viorage (Post )
I dont think I ordered the correct CP. I am going to call on Monday and Cancel the ETS CP.

Then I will get the ER CP but I have no idea about the lower cp and upper cp, sounds foreign to me. Could you link me what I should get Or a website I can research this.

ETS FMIC kit
The ETS intercooler Kit Features

Full Intercooler Kit- Includes Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Couplers,Clamps
Direct Bolt on with absolutely no cutting
Replaces Restrictive Stock Piping
Max HP Gains of 21.05hp
Over 60deg Lower Temps
No Heat Soak after a Pull
Reduces Knock
Durable Stainless Steel Piping
4 Ply Silicone Couplers
Breeze Premium T-Bolt Clamps
Works On Both N54 (Twin Turbo) or N55 (Single Turbo)
7" Requires trimming of bumper cover
ETS Test results are on our 5" Front Mount Intercooler

Does that have the correct couplings needed for the CP?

Seems like your kit comes with the lower CP.

PR3CI5N335i 11-29-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Ok this is what I am about to order once I get refunded from ETS. Is this all I need?

N54 (3.0TT) Diverter Valve Charge Pipe

DB - Free Anodizing: Yes, I want free Type III Hard Anodize Black
Model Year (Build Date) DV Pipe: 2006 to April 2009
Diverter Pipe Finish: Type III Hard Anodized Black
Diverter Valve Option: TIAL Q Blow Off Valve (Black)
1/8" NPT Methanol/NOS Injector Bungs: Two (2) Methanol Injection Bungs
PROMOTIONAL: FREE KEY LANYARD: Yes
PROMOTIONAL: FREE LICENSE PLATE FRAME: Yes

Looks good

deltalima0 11-30-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to introduce myself. Im new to all this and have a lot to learn.

Im building my 335i, not doing much but here is what I have so far.

JB4 (installed)

Ordered and ready to install-
ETS- 3" ******* ********
ETS- 2.5" Exhaust
ETS- Chargepipe
ETS- 5" FMIC

I went all ETS because they gave me a hell of a deal and I have heard great things about their products.

Im not sure what else to do. BOV? HPFP? ( still need to find out if mine has been replaced due to the recall)

Anyway Looking forward to reading and learning all that I can. Take care fellas

TBH you can get the most from your car with just ******* *********, a FMIC, BMS Duel cone intakes, and a tune. If you have E85 available and you are an automatic running a solid back end flash Terry's E85 race or an aggressive ***** flash you will be very quick capable of high 11's to mid 11 1/4 mile runs. Meth is not needed, I like meth because i bought it before E85 maps and am just use to running it. In the summer its great. But really anything you buy beyond what I mentioned above is fluff.

If you plan on E85 and it is readily available take a look at SteveAZ LPFP upgrade.

Viorage 11-30-2014 09:15 AM

Seems like running E85 is the way to do it. I still think Im going to go with the ER Chargepipes just so I have the option down the road if I want to go that way.

Ill have to search for E85 fuel and see where its at. It looks like there are 5 locations within 5 miles of where I live.

deltalima0 11-30-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Seems like running E85 is the way to do it. I still think Im going to go with the ER Chargepipes just so I have the option down the road if I want to go that way.

Ill have to search for E85 fuel and see where its at. It looks like there are 5 locations within 5 miles of where I live.

E85 makes big power just so you know all your in for with E85 and running an aggressive to moderate tune. Your gas milage will be ass, some people claim to get 18-20 mpg on E85 I average like 14-15 mpg.