JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N63, N63TU (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   2022 X5 M50i - recommend map (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67114)

MNmaverick 12-02-2021 06:43 AM

2022 X5 M50i - recommend map
 
Hey all,

Short time lurker - first time poster. Sounds like the M50i is a n63r engine type? Anyways, it appears folks are recommending the map 1 vs 2 presently for a daily driver? Does that sound correct? I saw one map6 someone had custom built but unsure if anyone else has any more refined map 1 or map 2 like tunes they are running.

Thanks again!

Cannon @ BMS 12-02-2021 10:42 AM

Map 1 is less boost so naturally it will be easier on your mpg's. Although, it really only applies if you have a led foot. Map 2 also requires 93 octane or better.

MNmaverick 12-02-2021 10:48 AM

In your opinion is map 2 stable enough to run as a daily driver?

phaser 12-02-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNmaverick (Post )
Hey all,

Short time lurker - first time poster. Sounds like the M50i is a n63r engine type? Anyways, it appears folks are recommending the map 1 vs 2 presently for a daily driver? Does that sound correct? I saw one map6 someone had custom built but unsure if anyone else has any more refined map 1 or map 2 like tunes they are running.

Thanks again!

I have a 2021 M50i and am condidering a JB4. Are you happy with it? Can you feel the torque increase, is the additional power linear? Very interested to hear.

MNmaverick 12-02-2021 03:13 PM

Installing on the 13th so I guess we will find out! Not much feedback on custom maps or even if straying from map 1 for our engine is advisable…

Mike_L 12-02-2021 03:32 PM

You have an N63B or TU3. I wouldn't run Map 2. I tried and it was significantly slower than Map 1, even with E30 in the tank. I think what has been said before is true, the Maps were designed around the N63R (TU2) engine, that only made 456hp and less boost. For the newer N63B, the turbos are bigger and make more boost, so adding 6psi to it puts us over 20psi, which the Maps weren't designed for. Causes them to lean out too much on the top end and hurts power.

MNmaverick 12-02-2021 03:36 PM

Thank you for that insight - from my research on here that’s what I’ve been suspecting. I’m ok with Map 1, I assume further tuning and research will improve down the road. Jb4 still the way to go here over a racechip if I’m just doing stage 1 stuff?

Mike_L 12-02-2021 07:51 PM

Yeah, JB4 is still the way to go.

phaser 12-04-2021 01:13 PM

Map 1 is +4 lbs.?

Mike_L 12-04-2021 04:04 PM

Yep.

phaser 12-05-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_L (Post )
You have an N63B or TU3. I wouldn't run Map 2. I tried and it was significantly slower than Map 1, even with E30 in the tank. I think what has been said before is true, the Maps were designed around the N63R (TU2) engine, that only made 456hp and less boost. For the newer N63B, the turbos are bigger and make more boost, so adding 6psi to it puts us over 20psi, which the Maps weren't designed for. Causes them to lean out too much on the top end and hurts power.

Your M550i has the same engine as my '21 M50i.
How would evaluate the improvement with the JB4 in place on Map1. Is the increase in torque noticeable etc.? Thanks in advance for insights here as they seem difficult to find.

Mike_L 12-05-2021 02:03 PM

It’s very noticeable. Thing pulls like crazy. If it ran like this from the factory, I think a lot more people would get these “base” V8s rather than the full blown M versions.

Boosted_8 12-05-2021 02:13 PM

Map 2 on the 523hp motor is a bit wacky. Asking for 17-18psi at redline is just too much for these turbos.

phaser 12-05-2021 04:30 PM

Thanks Mike, a noticeable bump over stock which I think is very strong will be mighty fine.

MNmaverick 12-06-2021 02:54 PM

Thanks for the insight mike, much appreciated!

Antec800 12-12-2021 07:45 PM

Any insight to this terry or anyone from bms? Seems quite worrying losing power on anything other then map 1 on newer n63s

Cannon @ BMS 12-13-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antec800 (Post )
Any insight to this terry or anyone from bms? Seems quite worrying losing power on anything other then map 1 on newer n63s

Start uploading logs.

MNmaverick 12-13-2021 11:20 AM

Any additional context on how to do that or what you’re looking for exactly? I think we were looking for more detail then one sentence…

Mike_L 12-13-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon @ BMS (Post )
Start uploading logs.

Nah, that’s not the answer. You guys gotta get one in house and actually tune it instead of relying on data from the older motor. Carbahn is making 640hp and nearly 700ft/lbs with their piggyback, using just MAP tuning on 93 octane. You guys are using obd2 as well, so there’s zero reason you shouldn’t be making that or more. Somebody actually has to give a damn though, and it kinda feels like nobody does and we’re an afterthought.

MNmaverick 12-13-2021 02:28 PM

Agreed with Mike

phaser 12-13-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_L (Post )
Nah, that’s not the answer. You guys gotta get one in house and actually tune it instead of relying on data from the older motor. Carbahn is making 640hp and nearly 700ft/lbs with their piggyback, using just MAP tuning on 93 octane. You guys are using obd2 as well, so there’s zero reason you shouldn’t be making that or more. Somebody actually has to give a damn though, and it kinda feels like nobody does and we’re an afterthought.

Very good point you make Mike and well stated.
+3.

phaser 12-13-2021 04:37 PM

Most interesting about Carbahn.

zse8h 12-19-2021 12:02 PM

Mike exactly. This reason alone is why I dumped JB4 and went with racechip. Racechip has actually had the 2020 + cars on a dyno. Map 7 on racechip blows map 1 or 2 jb4 out of the water. It nice to have a product that is designed and tested rather than the other option.

MNmaverick 12-20-2021 11:00 AM

Update: uninstalling jb4 and on to the CarBahn piggyback. Jb4 kept throwing codes and response time to my shop installers was bad...needless to say this tune isn’t ready for the 2022s.

Mike_L 12-20-2021 01:05 PM

I thought about doing the same. I'm loyal to a fault, but there comes a point where you gotta just say "f*ck it, they don't care about us, so why should I stick with them?"

I'll hold on for a few more months and then revisit. I have 21 months left on the lease, so I'd really rather not drop $1250 on another piggyback if I can avoid it. Flash is another story.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Copyright © 2007 - 2022, JB4tech.com