N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   B58, B48 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   b58 tbi kit installed (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50726)

335xiRT1 12-05-2017 11:30 AM

b58 tbi kit installed
 
4 Attachment(s)
recently got tbi kit from bigboost usa, i installed the kit yesterday, did not come with instructions and came with .022 jet website states .026 jet.
I also got the meth threads drilled out on the spacer, but the kit did not come with plugs(easy buy at home depot)

install straight forward, juan did reach out to me later in the day for pointers on install, he wanted to cut factory vacuum line on top of intake manifold for hobbs switch to tee into, not a fan of that so i decided to use one of the meth threads to get boost pressure from(another easy buy at home depot).

now that the kit is installed ive been trying to get it to run right, thats the problem, the factory ecu seems to be fighting the extra fuel, and figting the d@wnpipe, its tough to control boost, im getting alot of throttle closures, ive posted up my pre tbi logs to show how lean the car was running, and post tbi
any insights would help to get this car tuned riht.
im debating on taking out the d@wnpipe.

Bullitt1841 12-05-2017 01:33 PM

I would imagine that if BBT developed a kit and also says it will work well with a stock turbo, they would easily be able to help you tune it with the JB4. I doubt anyone will run it without a JB4 (at least not on this forum).

Kit seemed kind of rushed, in my opinion. Sounds good on paper, but I don't think BBT is very detail oriented from what I've seen. At least not enough for me.

Curious to see if you can get it sorted out.

imjeshy 12-05-2017 03:06 PM

I was gonna invest in buying this kit but it seems like it was not really thought out well, every time I asked Juan for information about the install and his responses were very vague. No offense to BBT but little testing has seen to be done on this. hopefully someone does get this TBI figured out.

Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO 12-05-2017 04:16 PM

The Hobbs switch is activated at 15 PSI, if it drops from that pressure and fluctuates the TBI will be turning on and off causing afr and trims fluctuation. You need to get the boost on place. Why don't you try more FUA?

335xiRT1 12-05-2017 04:48 PM

I dropped the pressure on the Hobbs switch already.
I will try and raise FUA

Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO 12-05-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 335xiRT1 (Post )
I dropped the pressure on the Hobbs switch already.
I will try and raise FUA

Try map 7 with 55 boost add as well. Even if you don't have meth.

jalkster 12-06-2017 02:14 AM

Keep us updated please. Waiting to install mine, I have to take the car into BMW for these damn coolant warnings.

335xiRT1 12-07-2017 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lowered pid gain to 6
tried map 7 with 20 additive
logs still dont look good, with the extra fuel the timing seems to be flattening out.
any insight would be great

Bullitt1841 12-07-2017 01:41 PM

Honestly, your pre-TBI logs don't look that greainin regards to throttle, either. This is one reason why I haven't changed to a CLDP yet.

It might be worth a shot to put the stock one back on.

LessIsMore 12-07-2017 03:02 PM

so bigboost's site says it installs between the CP and TB ... shouldn't it install between the TB and manifold??

335xiRT1 12-08-2017 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another day more logging, im determined to get this to work

some imrovment on this log, getting there

Bullitt1841 12-08-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessIsMore (Post )
so bigboost's site says it installs between the CP and TB ... shouldn't it install between the TB and manifold??

Looks just like the BMS meth kit (pre-throttle body):

http://bigboostusa.com/product-category/b58/

http://burgertuning.com/B58_methanol_spacer.html

Terry @ BMS 12-10-2017 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 335xiRT1 (Post )
lowered pid gain to 6
tried map 7 with 20 additive
logs still dont look good, with the extra fuel the timing seems to be flattening out.
any insight would be great

DME BT is wobbling so something isn't working here... Need to figure out what is causing the wobble. Often it's not enough fuel.

Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO 12-11-2017 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Would you mind if I call you at about 4pm so I can give you a few tips?

Attachment 69818

JB4OFF 12-11-2017 07:49 AM

The problem with the tbi kit, is it’s pulling fuel from the stock fuel system. At this point, with the IPW cap, I don’t think any fuel coming, in the form of pi or tbi from the stock fuel system, will do much. The only way to properly run it, sadly would need a stand alone fuel enrichment system.

Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO 12-11-2017 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB4OFF (Post )
The problem with the tbi kit, is itís pulling fuel from the stock fuel system. At this point, with the IPW cap, I donít think any fuel coming, in the form of pi or tbi from the stock fuel system, will do much. The only way to properly run it, sadly would need a stand alone fuel enrichment system.

Actually it does work.

Here you have a pre-tbi:
Attachment 69822

Here is after TBI:
Attachment 69823

335xiRT1 12-11-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB4OFF (Post )
The problem with the tbi kit, is itís pulling fuel from the stock fuel system. At this point, with the IPW cap, I donít think any fuel coming, in the form of pi or tbi from the stock fuel system, will do much. The only way to properly run it, sadly would need a stand alone fuel enrichment system.

The TBI kit is deff working. Just gotta get it tuned right

335xiRT1 12-11-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO (Post )
Would you mind if I call you at about 4pm so I can give you a few tips?

Attachment 69818

4pm is good

LessIsMore 12-11-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt1841 (Post )

Hmm, interesting, never realized it was different than the N54/N55 which is post-TB.

LessIsMore 12-11-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB4OFF (Post )
The problem with the tbi kit, is itís pulling fuel from the stock fuel system. At this point, with the IPW cap, I donít think any fuel coming, in the form of pi or tbi from the stock fuel system, will do much. The only way to properly run it, sadly would need a stand alone fuel enrichment system.

Sorry, don't think that's correct. IPW (injector pulse width) limitations won't keep TBI from working - the TBI totally circumvents the factory DI injectors. Yes it's using stock fuel system in terms of LPFP, lines, etc. - but as long as the LPFP can keep up and is not being limited somehow, the TBI just adds fuel on top of whatever the DME is commanding for DI IPW. TBI would actually be likely to lower the commanded IPW to the OEM DI injectors.

335xiRT1 12-11-2017 09:51 AM

My trims are actually better after TBI installed and FoL is now at 0, running e20
I might be able to increase the ethanol %, once i get it running 100%

Bullitt1841 12-11-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 335xiRT1 (Post )
My trims are actually better after TBI installed and FoL is now at 0, running e20
I might be able to increase the ethanol %, once i get it running 100%

Have you been able to reliably tune with TBI and no ethanol? That would be a good starting point.

This B58 engine and DME are completely different and are presenting a lot of problems that were not present in the N54 and N55. Unfortunately, we can't carry over all of our tuning knowledge directly from those platforms. So don't be surprised if we can't figure **** out.

JB4OFF 12-11-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessIsMore (Post )
Sorry, don't think that's correct. IPW (injector pulse width) limitations won't keep TBI from working - the TBI totally circumvents the factory DI injectors. Yes it's using stock fuel system in terms of LPFP, lines, etc. - but as long as the LPFP can keep up and is not being limited somehow, the TBI just adds fuel on top of whatever the DME is commanding for DI IPW. TBI would actually be likely to lower the commanded IPW to the OEM DI injectors.

Iíve had this car for 2 years. I know what works and what doesnít. My friend Ryan also had the tbi kit from BB. And he took it off. Aside from that if you wanna keep playing with nitrous solenoids for fuel. Be my guest. Iím not gonna **** talk Bigboost but they rush things with not much thought.

Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO 12-11-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB4OFF (Post )
Iíve had this car for 2 years. I know what works and what doesnít. My friend Ryan also had the tbi kit from BB. And he took it off. Aside from that if you wanna keep playing with nitrous solenoids for fuel. Be my guest. Iím not gonna **** talk Bigboost but they rush things with not much thought.

What's the issue with having a solenoid as fuel control? The solenoid is made for fuel. Also, what makes you think we rush things without knowledge? We have a car to do all the tests required and if it doesn't work we won't release a product. The results are now facts and show that the product does work. We are not making suppositions.

JB4OFF 12-11-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan_BIGBOOST_TURBO (Post )
What's the issue with having a solenoid as fuel control? The solenoid is made for fuel. Also, what makes you think we rush things without knowledge? We have a car to do all the tests required and if it doesn't work we won't release a product. The results are now facts and show that the product does work. We are not making suppositions.

Nitrous fogger my mistake. It has poor atomization property. It shoots fuel out like a squirt gun. Because Ryanís car was a disaster and undrivable with nearly 7lbs of overboosting and two turbo revisionís. He couldnít WOT the car without an issue. Hence why the product hasnt been tested throughly. Even Terry said the turbo is too aggressive for the car. Iím not gonna argue with facts. Thatís why Ryan returned the turbo after 8weeks of a headaches. Not saying you have a bad product but itís rushed imho.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Copyright © 2007 - 2018, N54tech.com