N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N54 (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   BMS automatic transmission cooler upgrade (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56319)

Streetpro 07-01-2019 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, vent as for ventilator or fan/blower if you like... anything to force feed air through the core at idle/low speed (bellow 30 or so, after that incoming air does the job).
Plus to have a proper size opening/screen to the wheel liner - has anyone tried to fit these new Air-curtains openings?

HKD126 07-12-2019 05:08 PM

Any chance you could make one of these kits with a thermostat? I live in Wisconsin and would need that. Please PM me with the details if this is possible.

Thanks.

Payam @ BMS 07-15-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKD126 (Post )
Any chance you could make one of these kits with a thermostat? I live in Wisconsin and would need that. Please PM me with the details if this is possible.

Thanks.

We're working on it, but it will be a while. Most likely easier for you to add the thermostat inline.

type-dRew 07-15-2019 09:31 AM

I'd also be interested in a kit that incorporated a thermostat. Nothing too warm 150-160 degrees is plenty.

Jeffman 07-20-2019 10:52 PM

I like the idea of leaving in the original heat exchanger and sending the oil output to a Tstat, and then either flow back to the heat exchanger if <160F for quicker warming up, or to the BMS heat exchanger in the left wheel well if above 160F for cooling.
This will solve the under cooling and overheating problems. It will also help to quickly heat up the transmission fluid by staying in line with the coolant while heating up in the winter. So we need 2 SS lines each with a connector to the stock heat exchanger, and the other ends to a Tstat, like -10AN. And then two shorter SS lines between the Tstat and the BMS heat exchanger. I’ll pay $600 - $700 to beta test.

Jeffman 07-20-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 335iE91 (Post )
I would like to retain the original cooler/heater and put a thermostat and the bms cooler kit in between the return line. Would like do fit this myself but i can't find the right adapter fittings. Anyone know where to find these?

This is a great idea. Iíd like to be able to get the right fittings as well as I mentioned above. A little more involved, but better functioning for guys like us in the north with cold winters.

Jeffman 07-20-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetpro (Post )
Stock heat exchanger cools oil just after it reaches 200 degs by opening the passage in the water leg - T-stat is controlling the water, there is no T-stat in the oil line...
Otherwise the oil would not circulate if there would be closed valve in line (T-stat)... think about the engine oil cooler/T-stat, it is the same thing...
A proper solution is to dump the whole heat exchanger, run a cooler w T-stat (170-200max) + a vent to keep the temps happy in the city/low speeds

But keeping the stock heat exchanger helps with fluid heat up when itís cold outside. So one could ADD a Tstat and the BMS cooler as I suggested above may be an even better solution.

Streetpro 07-22-2019 12:09 AM

AT oil heats up by itself very quickly no matter of heat exchanger... the purpose of that heat exchanger is really to combat high temps, not the low ones...

SPANKY 07-22-2019 06:56 AM

When running 3" jpipe that stock heat exchanger is in the way,like to get rid of it and run it separate to a cooler,seems I hear no issue when running without the stock heat exchanger

Payam @ BMS 07-22-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPANKY (Post )
When running 3" jpipe that stock heat exchanger is in the way,like to get rid of it and run it separate to a cooler,seems I hear no issue when running without the stock heat exchanger

No issues at all. That's what we do with our transmission oil cooler, you should get it :)

Jeffman 07-22-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
No issues at all. That's what we do with our transmission oil cooler, you should get it :)

Thanks, Payam. Iím getting very close to pulling the trigger. But has anyone used it in a real winter yet and reported transmission temps? I want data!

Payam @ BMS 07-23-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffman (Post )
Thanks, Payam. Iím getting very close to pulling the trigger. But has anyone used it in a real winter yet and reported transmission temps? I want data!

I've mostly only tested extreme heat at 110F+ Lowest testing done here is at 35F lol.

Jeffman 07-23-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

I've mostly only tested extreme heat at 110F+ Lowest testing done here is at 35F lol.

Thanks, Payam. But FYI, water freezes at 32F LOL. We need to see how the thing works when there’s ice and snow everywhere!
(AKA “winter”)

type-dRew 07-24-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetpro (Post )
AT oil heats up by itself very quickly no matter of heat exchanger... the purpose of that heat exchanger is really to combat high temps, not the low ones...

I've ran non-thermostated trans coolers on other vehicles here in Michigan and in the winter i'd be lucky to find 110-120 degrees unless on the road for hours and itll be double digits most of my trip.

There is definitely merit in having a plan to get the fluid to at least a reasonably warm temp somewhat quickly. Or plans to bypass the aftermarket unit and use the stock piece in winter, but thats a hassle.

Jeffman 07-24-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by type-dRew (Post )
I've ran non-thermostated trans coolers on other vehicles here in Michigan and in the winter i'd be lucky to find 110-120 degrees unless on the road for hours and itll be double digits most of my trip.

There is definitely merit in having a plan to get the fluid to at least a reasonably warm temp somewhat quickly. Or plans to bypass the aftermarket unit and use the stock piece in winter, but thats a hassle.

Exactly why we need a 160F thermostat in the ATF cooling loop with the engine coolant. When the ATF leaving the AT is <160F the ATF passes through the OEM heat transfer unit (180-200F), but when the ATF leaving the AT is >160F the ATF passes through the trans cooler.

scrllock 08-10-2019 08:16 PM

+1 for bundling a t-stat. Been down to 0F several times the past few years, 35F is warm for mid-Jan here.

Payam @ BMS 08-12-2019 11:09 AM

We'll have a variant up in a couple of months, just in time for winter :)

Jeffman 08-12-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

We'll have a variant up in a couple of months, just in time for winter :)

Excellent! I hate futzing around with connectors. Gimme what works - once!

nyt 09-20-2019 05:17 PM

just got around to installing this. gotta say, this is the most janky mounting system I've seen. Also, no thought to any modifications for the wheel well liner.. guess I'll find some kind of vent to mount in it or drill a bunch of small holes

The bottom pinch mount would not stay solid, it would pivot around easily. I drilled another hole through all the bits and the chassis to prevent this from moving. Feels a LOT better with this third bolt. This cars a 2010 xi and the outer side of the seam had longer material than the inner. That coupled with the spot welds made the pinch mount insecure

https://i.imgur.com/nmeYc69l.jpg

keeping it clear of the intercooler hose

https://i.imgur.com/D6RHXW7l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nq7zz2Jl.jpg

houtan 09-20-2019 06:34 PM

I was always curious about the mounting solution on this kit. I am sure it is cost effective but not my favorite solution. Thanks for the honest feedback.

How is the cooler working out in terms of performance?

nyt 09-20-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houtan (Post )
I was always curious about the mounting solution on this kit. I am sure it is cost effective but not my favorite solution. Thanks for the honest feedback.

How is the cooler working out in terms of performance?

Can't say, car is apart still. lots of work queued up. Adding the bolt to the lower mount made it nice and solid. The top seems fine enough.

nyt 09-21-2019 04:37 PM

meh, just drilled some holes...

https://i.imgur.com/CFLA64Ml.jpg

THE BEAST 09-21-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyt (Post )
meh, just drilled some holes...

https://i.imgur.com/CFLA64Ml.jpg

👀

Jeffman 09-22-2019 08:27 PM

Thanks for the photos and advice. Ideally for me, I would love to be able to keep the stock coolant heat exchanger for quicker warm ups, especially in cold weather, and to integrate a thermostat that opens at ~160F to then shunt the transmission fluid to this transmission cooler.

Payam @ BMS 09-23-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyt (Post )
just got around to installing this. gotta say, this is the most janky mounting system I've seen. Also, no thought to any modifications for the wheel well liner.. guess I'll find some kind of vent to mount in it or drill a bunch of small holes

The bottom pinch mount would not stay solid, it would pivot around easily. I drilled another hole through all the bits and the chassis to prevent this from moving. Feels a LOT better with this third bolt. This cars a 2010 xi and the outer side of the seam had longer material than the inner. That coupled with the spot welds made the pinch mount insecure

We opted a no drill PNP style bracket system. Out of the few hundred we have sold, that's the first issue I've heard about the bracket being loose.
Sounds like you found and easy fix for it.

Not sure on the fender liner stuff, it's not a sealed piece. Air will go through it
no matter what and you'll have increased performance over stock.