N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kia & Hyundai Turbo (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   BMS Transmission oil cooler (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66207)

turboAWD 08-11-2021 06:31 PM

BMS Transmission oil cooler
 
Great to see!

One question: it looks like it mounts on the rad, not near the intercooler? So I guess if I were to install it, and later switch to BMS intercooler, wouldn't be a problem? How hard is the install? How likely to dump transmission fluid everywhere?

Also - k8stingerstore has an external "oil cooler" for the Stinger that also seems to mount on the rad - it seems like it's either / or - doesn't seem like there's room for both? I'm interested in doing both, sort of.

If I had to pick (doing some HDPE in NorCal), which one would be more helpful?

Terry @ BMS 08-11-2021 08:29 PM

It fits with the BMS intercooler, no idea on the external oil cooler. But a trans cooler is more important than an oil cooler for these IMHO so if you need to pick one....

Payam is working on an install guide, it's not too bad. :)

Payam @ BMS 08-12-2021 10:39 AM

It mounts where the stock trans oil cooler sits.

Stinger_salvage 08-14-2021 10:47 AM

It's a plug and play install with the provided connectors right? Also what about the fluid? It's pretty expensive so should we catch it all and reuse it? Also the added capacity of the cooler will require a trans fluid top off anyways right? Sorry about all the questions I placed my order yesterday.

buddy7_12 08-14-2021 11:32 AM

Will this fit the G70?

Terry @ BMS 08-14-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy7_12 (Post )
Will this fit the G70?

We think so. Sent one out to a G70 tester last week so we'll find out soon enough.

Terry @ BMS 08-14-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger_salvage (Post )
It's a plug and play install with the provided connectors right? Also what about the fluid? It's pretty expensive so should we catch it all and reuse it? Also the added capacity of the cooler will require a trans fluid top off anyways right? Sorry about all the questions I placed my order yesterday.

Yes you'll need another qt of fluid give or take, capture and reuse existing fluid if practical for you.

Avant 08-15-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post )
Yes you'll need another qt of fluid give or take, capture and reuse existing fluid if practical for you.

Terry, you guys using the Hyundai specific ATF SP-IV-RR or have you found another ATF? Looks like Valvoline (ATF) Full Synthetic specs match.

I need to order a quart or two for the install.

Payam @ BMS 08-16-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avant (Post )
Terry, you guys using the Hyundai specific ATF SP-IV-RR or have you found another ATF? Looks like Valvoline (ATF) Full Synthetic specs match.

I need to order a quart or two for the install.

Barely anything spills out when doing the swap, but yes we suggest getting 1qt from the dealer to top it off. It will not need any more than that.

Avant 08-16-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
Barely anything spills out when doing the swap, but yes we suggest getting 1qt from the dealer to top it off. It will not need any more than that.

Sounds good. I might do a flush while I am at it. The Hyundai ATF isn't cheap though haha.

Stinger_salvage 08-21-2021 03:16 PM

Just got my kit today. Is there an install guide somewhere?

Avant 08-23-2021 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty amazing mod. Installed mine last week and did some before and after testing with it.

Two logs attached. Before the BMS trans cooler I would go above 200 degrees pretty quickly after about 5-6 hard pulls back to back. With the cooler installed the highest I have seen is 183 and that was after 8-9 pulls!

Payam @ BMS 08-23-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger_salvage (Post )
Just got my kit today. Is there an install guide somewhere?

Will be up later today! I'll post the link up here.

Stinger_salvage 08-23-2021 02:29 PM

Um it looks like it won't fit the Mish kit either... Bummer.

Avant 08-23-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger_salvage (Post )
Um it looks like it won't fit the Mish kit either... Bummer.

Id be curious. I installed mine above the BMS intercooler. Not sure how high the Mish intercooler sits but there still might be room for it. Then the lines drop below/behind the intercooler and back up.

Stinger_salvage 08-23-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avant (Post )
Id be curious. I installed mine above the BMS intercooler. Not sure how high the Mish intercooler sits but there still might be room for it. Then the lines drop below/behind the intercooler and back up.

It's about 1.5 inches too high. However looks like I can bend the top brackets and make it fit between the Mish and the crash bar. Still a flawed design however.

Payam @ BMS 08-24-2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger_salvage (Post )
It's about 1.5 inches too high. However looks like I can bend the top brackets and make it fit between the Mish and the crash bar. Still a flawed design however.

It's supposed to fit in between the intercooler and condenser, just like stock.

Might need to remove the intercooler to install the cooler.

Stinger_salvage 08-24-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
It's supposed to fit in between the intercooler and condenser, just like stock.

Might need to remove the intercooler to install the cooler.

There is not enough room between the Mish intercooler and the condenser. Also I don't think the Mish can be moved out more because if it's tabs.

G70in21 08-24-2021 02:38 PM

What are the physical dimensions of the new cooler, im playing with my new 22 g70 and wanted to do some planning.

On another note, if someone wanted to buy an off the shelf Mish cooler, would burger sell their billet adapter alone?

Payam @ BMS 08-24-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G70in21 (Post )
What are the physical dimensions of the new cooler, im playing with my new 22 g70 and wanted to do some planning.

On another note, if someone wanted to buy an off the shelf Mish cooler, would burger sell their billet adapter alone?

Dimensions are 13"x8"x2" IIRC.
We're having brackets made to fit the G70 right now. The option will be on the website sometime next week.

We only sell the kits as full, sorry.

djerickd 08-24-2021 11:35 PM

was the install guide ready?

G70in21 08-25-2021 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
Dimensions are 13"x8"x2" IIRC.
We're having brackets made to fit the G70 right now. The option will be on the website sometime next week.

We only sell the kits as full, sorry.

Thanks! Looking forward to the brackets, are you testing on a 22 or earlier? Not sure if there is much difference in that area between the two.

Payam @ BMS 08-25-2021 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G70in21 (Post )
Thanks! Looking forward to the brackets, are you testing on a 22 or earlier? Not sure if there is much difference in that area between the two.

It will be made off the 2021 which we hope would be the same as 2022.

This is what our G70 Tester had to do at the moment:

djerickd 08-25-2021 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
Will be up later today! I'll post the link up here.

Any progress on the install guide? :burnrubber:

G70in21 08-26-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS (Post )
It will be made off the 2021 which we hope would be the same as 2022.

This is what our G70 Tester had to do at the moment:

Awesome.

I haven't taken the front cowl off the car yet but from what I can see they look very similar.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com