JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   VW/Audi Group (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   JB4 for Gen3 VAG Group (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428)

George @ BMS 04-28-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funenuf (Post )
I didn't think to connect and then read the User Settings.* When I did that I saw the Boost Drop for 1st/2nd at 18/20, was able to set them both to 0 and SUCCESS!!* This is how the car should have come from the factory and I still have my warranty.* Thanks again for your help and I will definitely recommend this Burger Motorsports to anyone that will listen.

:burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:

1Down5Up 04-29-2021 07:06 AM

Hi guys,
Long time lurker, first time JB4 installer.

Can I please get some input to what I'm experiencing with my JB4? Here's the details:

2017 GTI SE, 6 SPD Manual, Unitronic Stage 2, IE DP, APR CAI
Firmware version – 26/3//5 (VAG Gen3B 2.0T)
Map 0
Connected via Bluetooth

I was eager to get the JB4 installed and ready to test maps but ran into issues from the get-go. The firmware update process ran for 30 mins and the writing process kept repeating itself. Connection status was a full green line. After the JB4 finally rebooted, I now get P3ABA whenever I start my car. I deleted this code several times from the mobile app but it’s still there after deleting. I disconnected the OBDII and connected my VAG reader and got codes P01900 Fuel Pressure Sensor A Circuit active/static. I’ve since cleared them and reconnected the JB4’s OBDII and tested again. Same CEL and P3ABA. The dash CEL light can be cleared by the mobile app but the code is still present on the app and the dash CEL light still lights up after starting.

I’ve checked all connections and made sure they’re positively engaged.

I’m stumped and could use some next step guidance…please.

George @ BMS 04-29-2021 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Down5Up (Post )
Hi guys,
Long time lurker, first time JB4 installer.

Can I please get some input to what I'm experiencing with my JB4? Here's the details:

2017 GTI SE, 6 SPD Manual, Unitronic Stage 2, IE DP, APR CAI
Firmware version Ė 26/3//5 (VAG Gen3B 2.0T)
Map 0
Connected via Bluetooth

I was eager to get the JB4 installed and ready to test maps but ran into issues from the get-go. The firmware update process ran for 30 mins and the writing process kept repeating itself. Connection status was a full green line. After the JB4 finally rebooted, I now get P3ABA whenever I start my car. I deleted this code several times from the mobile app but itís still there after deleting. I disconnected the OBDII and connected my VAG reader and got codes P01900 Fuel Pressure Sensor A Circuit active/static. Iíve since cleared them and reconnected the JB4ís OBDII and tested again. Same CEL and P3ABA. The dash CEL light can be cleared by the mobile app but the code is still present on the app and the dash CEL light still lights up after starting.

Iíve checked all connections and made sure theyíre positively engaged.

Iím stumped and could use some next step guidanceÖplease.

You have the wrong firmware loaded. Should be 60 - VAG Gen 3. Load the stable and it will sort all your issues.

1Down5Up 04-29-2021 07:14 AM

Will do and will report back, thank you George!

1Down5Up 04-29-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Down5Up (Post )
Will do and will report back, thank you George!

Runs error free now and feels great on acceleration. :happy Time to get used to it and get some logs in. Thanks again George!!!

firstorbit 04-29-2021 10:20 AM

When you change maps does the ECU need to "learn" the new map by driving a bit before it gives you full power/boost, or should the change be instant?

George @ BMS 04-29-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstorbit (Post )
When you change maps does the ECU need to "learn" the new map by driving a bit before it gives you full power/boost, or should the change be instant?

Should be instant.

icombs17 05-04-2021 05:33 AM

Just wondering, is anyone running colder spark plugs like the RS7 plugs with their JB4? Is it recommended or are the stock plugs fine?

George @ BMS 05-04-2021 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icombs17 (Post )
Just wondering, is anyone running colder spark plugs like the RS7 plugs with their JB4? Is it recommended or are the stock plugs fine?

We recommend stock plugs gapped to .025 when the time comes to change them. There is no need to change them if they are in good condition though with the car running well with them.

firstorbit 05-04-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icombs17 (Post )

I was running orginal stock plugs with 90k miles and was getting EPC errors on map 1, I changed them with 1 step colder OEM NGK plugs and rs3 coils and it feels much stronger and no EPC so far.

ClixT 05-05-2021 06:27 PM

So George, what do you recommend for a TCU tune for the B9 A4? Like specifically, which one plays well with JB4?

Anton335 05-06-2021 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClixT (Post )
So George, what do you recommend for a TCU tune for the B9 A4? Like specifically, which one plays well with JB4?

Whatís the point of tunning TCU and running JB4? The whole point of JB4 is retaining warranty. Go with ECU tune if flashing TCU, or get BMS pedal tuner to help out with throttle response. Plays well with JB4!

ClixT 05-06-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton335 (Post )
What’s the point of tunning TCU and running JB4? The whole point of JB4 is retaining warranty. Go with ECU tune if flashing TCU, or get BMS pedal tuner to help out with throttle response. Plays well with JB4!

Ohhh I didn't know that existed. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: It's backordered and it doesn't work for the B9 A4.. "2008+ VW/Audi except for B9 A4/A5/S4/5/RS/SQ5"

Anton335 05-06-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClixT (Post )
Ohhh I didn't know that existed. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: It's backordered and it doesn't work for the B9 A4.. "2008+ VW/Audi except for B9 A4/A5/S4/5/RS/SQ5"

You can check the alternative SprintBooster

ClixT 05-06-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton335 (Post )
You can check the alternative SprintBooster

As much as I want to support Burger Tuning, that's what I'll do. Thanks again.

WheelsRnecessary 05-10-2021 08:43 AM

Forgive me if this has been asked before but being somewhat new to the JB4 world it's a bit difficult to find specifics when an issue pops up. I've tried searching but to no avail. I have a 2019 VW Golf R DSG running map 4 with seemingly no mechanical problems. I have a Milltek *** back on my car, a Milltek high flow down pipe with 200 cell race *** as well as a BMS Turbo inlet. I have a CEL that has popped up but when I try to run a scan on JB4 it keeps saying "read failed" after a second or two of "reading codes". The JB4 is connected and shows up on my computer like it should. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I have selected "OBD II/All other models" on the settings drop down for the scan. I appreciate any help I could get.

George @ BMS 05-10-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheelsRnecessary (Post )
Forgive me if this has been asked before but being somewhat new to the JB4 world it's a bit difficult to find specifics when an issue pops up. I've tried searching but to no avail. I have a 2019 VW Golf R DSG running map 4 with seemingly no mechanical problems. I have a Milltek *** back on my car, a Milltek high flow down pipe with 200 cell race *** as well as a BMS Turbo inlet. I have a CEL that has popped up but when I try to run a scan on JB4 it keeps saying "read failed" after a second or two of "reading codes". The JB4 is connected and shows up on my computer like it should. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I have selected "OBD II/All other models" on the settings drop down for the scan. I appreciate any help I could get.

It might be a OBD issue. At idle are you seeing rpm and AFR moving?

WheelsRnecessary 05-10-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George @ BMS (Post )
It might be a OBD issue. At idle are you seeing rpm and AFR moving?

Thanks for replying so quick. I'm real new to this so I'll just explain what I've experienced here. When I turn on the ignition the jb4 connects properly. With the car at idle it shows RPM and AFR moving for a short period of time but then that stops. It stayed at 714 for RPM even after pressing the accelerator. With ACC on, the I took the car to autozone and had them scan it for me. It did the same thing: showed there was indeed a CEL but when they tried to see the code it said error. My OBD11 is also doing the same thing. I guess I need to take it to the dealership? With the ACC on the FP L and Meth boxes are moving so I'm getting some data it would seem to me.

UzzielVel 05-11-2021 02:57 AM

Hi George, in a few days I will go to a test to see how many hps he throws, which map is the most convenient to practice getting older hps? I've been using map 3 for a while and I've had a very good response
Sometimes I used map 5 with E30 but the car boosted
It's a cupra mk3.5 full bolt on

George @ BMS 05-11-2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UzzielVel (Post )
Hi George, in a few days I will go to a test to see how many hps he throws, which map is the most convenient to practice getting older hps? I've been using map 3 for a while and I've had a very good response
Sometimes I used map 5 with E30 but the car boosted
It's a cupra mk3.5 full bolt on

Test the map you normally use to know power output. Have we not done a map 6?

UzzielVel 05-11-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Test the map you normally use to know power output. Have we not done a map 6?

We haven't done map 6 yet, could we do it? :)

firstorbit 05-12-2021 10:24 AM

I've been running map 1 with 93 octane. If I wanted to go back to running 87 octane for a bit, is it safe to run on map 0, or should I unplug the JB4?

George @ BMS 05-12-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstorbit (Post )
I've been running map 1 with 93 octane. If I wanted to go back to running 87 octane for a bit, is it safe to run on map 0, or should I unplug the JB4?

Map 0 is pass through so safe to run 87. On a 1.8T should be good in map 1 too so no need to map switch.

George @ BMS 05-12-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UzzielVel (Post )
We haven't done map 6 yet, could we do it? :)

Email me at george@burgertuning.com and we can work on it assuming the unit was purchased new.

firstorbit 05-12-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Map 0 is pass through so safe to run 87. On a 1.8T should be good in map 1 too so no need to map switch.

Thanks. Also, is it safe to run with JB4 unplugged from the OBD port only, without changing the map before unplugging?