N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   Support & Log Review (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Car going into fail safe need log review with advice (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57908)

rickz96 05-09-2019 10:51 AM

Car going into fail safe need log review with advice
 
2 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Car is running the following mods and for the most part runs pretty good, but lately it has been inconsistent and getting AFR lean error.


Relevant components replaced within last 5000 miles
  • 2008 535Xi 6M
  • EKPS module
  • HP injectors (index 12)
  • HPFP
  • LPFP sending unit
  • two heat range colder NGK plugs
  • verified and reset adaptations of fuel system using INPA per Dave's Fuel-IT instructions
  • Delphi coil packs
  • pre-*** O2 sensors


Bolt on - upgraded items installed
  • VTT Stage 1 hybrid with billet compressor
  • VTT inlets and outlets
  • Phoenix Racing charge pipe
  • Phoenix Racing E chassis race FMIC
  • Turbosmart Raceport BOV
  • Performance Fueling Solutions Port Injection with BMS controller
  • DM400 LPFP
  • RB upgraded PCV Valve
  • 3.5bar TMAP
  • BMS OCC
  • JB4 with hybrid E85 PI BEF with latest firmware and 2019 BEF files
  • sans kittie's d0wnp1p3's
  • BMS anti lag and NLS
  • Fuel 100% E85

Some quick background:

After the above mods were installed last summer (original post for log review after mods), the car seems to run pretty well and doesn't have any major issues. I usually run map 6 and posted a respectable 11.8 @ 118 using Dragy in the cold wet with slight snow. I realized that the LPFP is running at the edge of it's limits (100% E85) and am planning on adding an additional fuel pump.

In March I started chasing a misfire. That started this round of issues and part of the reason I changed most of the items above. During this time I also realized that my EKPS was going again (number 3). This time I used Oceans mod of adding a aluminum heatsink - see how that works out. Once the EKPS, HP injectors and the coil packs were changed the car didn't run right. That's when I re-flashed with BB, reset JB to default values and performed Dave's Fuel-IT validations/reset adaptations (4/12/19).


*** OK, Sorry for rambling but I felt the information should be helpful and relevant and might help accelerate diagnosis.***


After the above re-flash of BEF the car ran well without error. I reviewed some random log files and saw data backing up the fuel pump upgrade. Important fact, no fail safe. BUT...as of last weekend the car started going into fail safe. I switched the car to map5 thinking it would help the situation by lowering boost targets and autotuning, but that wasn't the case and the issue persisted. So I was able to capture a log of it and I am seeing some weird numbers. Starting at time stamp 282 I go full throttle and I notice my AFR is out of whack, but my fuel pressures are good. Finally, please take note of the few runs earlier in this log file where there were no issues with AFR (timestamps) 127, 154 and 191.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Attached are the csv and a screen shot of the 100% throttle at 282

Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! 05-09-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickz96 (Post )
Guys,

Car is running the following mods and for the most part runs pretty good, but lately it has been inconsistent and getting AFR lean error.


Relevant components replaced within last 5000 miles
  • 2008 535Xi 6M
  • EKPS module
  • HP injectors (index 12)
  • HPFP
  • LPFP sending unit
  • two heat range colder NGK plugs
  • verified and reset adaptations of fuel system using INPA per Dave's Fuel-IT instructions
  • Delphi coil packs
  • pre-*** O2 sensors


Bolt on - upgraded items installed
  • VTT Stage 1 hybrid with billet compressor
  • VTT inlets and outlets
  • Phoenix Racing charge pipe
  • Phoenix Racing E chassis race FMIC
  • Turbosmart Raceport BOV
  • Performance Fueling Solutions Port Injection with BMS controller
  • DM400 LPFP
  • RB upgraded PCV Valve
  • 3.5bar TMAP
  • BMS OCC
  • JB4 with hybrid E85 PI BEF with latest firmware and 2019 BEF files
  • sans kittie's d0wnp1p3's
  • BMS anti lag and NLS
  • Fuel 100% E85

Some quick background:

After the above mods were installed last summer (original post for log review after mods), the car seems to run pretty well and doesn't have any major issues. I usually run map 6 and posted a respectable 11.8 @ 118 using Dragy in the cold wet with slight snow. I realized that the LPFP is running at the edge of it's limits (100% E85) and am planning on adding an additional fuel pump.

In March I started chasing a misfire. That started this round of issues and part of the reason I changed most of the items above. During this time I also realized that my EKPS was going again (number 3). This time I used Oceans mod of adding a aluminum heatsink - see how that works out. Once the EKPS, HP injectors and the coil packs were changed the car didn't run right. That's when I re-flashed with BB, reset JB to default values and performed Dave's Fuel-IT validations/reset adaptations (4/12/19).


*** OK, Sorry for rambling but I felt the information should be helpful and relevant and might help accelerate diagnosis.***


After the above re-flash of BEF the car ran well without error. I reviewed some random log files and saw data backing up the fuel pump upgrade. Important fact, no fail safe. BUT...as of last weekend the car started going into fail safe. I switched the car to map5 thinking it would help the situation by lowering boost targets and autotuning, but that wasn't the case and the issue persisted. So I was able to capture a log of it and I am seeing some weird numbers. Starting at time stamp 282 I go full throttle and I notice my AFR is out of whack, but my fuel pressures are good. Finally, please take note of the few runs earlier in this log file where there were no issues with AFR (timestamps) 127, 154 and 191.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Attached are the csv and a screen shot of the 100% throttle at 282

I see where the AFR goes out of whack & I also see where it looks ďokĒ

Your last stored safety was ď2Ē so you went to map 4 due to an AFR lean issue

How old are the O2s? I saw them on the list of maintnece you listed above.

rickz96 05-10-2019 03:39 AM

Hi Dave, the O2's were changed out about 5k miles or about 3 months. I suspected them as a culprit last summer so when I changed the oil pan gasket I had pretty easy access to them and proactively changed at that time.

rickz96 05-21-2019 05:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok guys, I finally had some time to look at this again. I figured I would make some changes and see if I can get the car stable. So, I am now running a 50/50 mix of 93 and e85. Attached is a screen shot and log file of a third gear run. It appears ok to me.

Is the transition to PI normal in this log? Pre-PI the car is running really lean, then once PI kicks in, the A/F ratio comes into tolerance. As expected, trims are reflective of this. The log shows trims are attempting to add fuel (pre-PI), then once PI kicks in, trims are trying to pull fuel. Is this because I'm on map 6 and my duty bias needs adjusted? Should I change to map 2 and do a few pulls?

Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! 05-21-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickz96 (Post )
Ok guys, I finally had some time to look at this again. I figured I would make some changes and see if I can get the car stable. So, I am now running a 50/50 mix of 93 and e85. Attached is a screen shot and log file of a third gear run. It appears ok to me.

Is the transition to PI normal in this log? Pre-PI the car is running really lean, then once PI kicks in, the A/F ratio comes into tolerance. As expected, trims are reflective of this. The log shows trims are attempting to add fuel (pre-PI), then once PI kicks in, trims are trying to pull fuel. Is this because I'm on map 6 and my duty bias needs adjusted? Should I change to map 2 and do a few pulls?

Letís start with map 2 vs map 6

Yes your fuel bias need a bit of work to keep those trims closer to 25/home

rickz96 05-21-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! (Post )
Letís start with map 2 vs map 6

Yes your fuel bias need a bit of work to keep those trims closer to 25/home

Thanks Dave, Iíll get some logs, work on the fuel bias and repost.

rickz96 05-21-2019 02:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dave,

Attached are the map 2 logs. They look ok. data timestamps of interest are around 235 & 349. My only question is why does the trim value consistently take a dip from 2000RPM to 5000RPM, trying to pull fuel out? Otherwise looks relatively normal - no? Take note my FOL value is still down at 40. Should I change that manually back to normal range, or let it stabilize on its own?

Thanks for all your help with this!

Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! 05-21-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickz96 (Post )
Dave,

Attached are the map 2 logs. They look ok. data timestamps of interest are around 235 & 349. My only question is why does the trim value consistently take a dip from 2000RPM to 5000RPM, trying to pull fuel out? Otherwise looks relatively normal - no? Take note my FOL value is still down at 40. Should I change that manually back to normal range, or let it stabilize on its own?

Thanks for all your help with this!

How many pulls prior did u do b4 this log

rickz96 05-22-2019 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! (Post )
How many pulls prior did u do b4 this log

I would say less than 10. Do you think it needs more time to settle in? I can run around with it today and pull more logs.

Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! 05-22-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickz96 (Post )
I would say less than 10. Do you think it needs more time to settle in? I can run around with it today and pull more logs.

Do a few more WOT - log the 3 or 4th

rickz96 05-24-2019 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! (Post )
Do a few more WOT - log the 3 or 4th

Here you go sir.




Screen shot is of the fourth gear pull, but there are two third gear pulls before it.

Attachment 86740


Attachment 86741

Current log analysis - I think they are good. Just worried about the initial lean condition.

What I'm seeing here is that when the port injection comes in, the car tries to take fuel out (is this normal?) Is there any impact to the fuel trim transition if I change the Meth PSI parameter? Example, bring the secondary in sooner or later. Is the HP fuel parameter and LP fuel pressure being lowered as a function of the secondary port injection coming on? I assume this because my AF ratio's then come into check. With regards to the port injection and the trims, am I doing too deep of a dive here and should I not worry about the initial lean condition due to the lower engine RPM's? I just get worried when I see lean conditions - scary stuff.





Thoughts on the original issue; and by all means, please correct if I am off base here.

My summation of the original lean condition is that I was running too heavy of an ethanol mixture and maybe too high of target boost pressure on the VTT hybrids (they're essentially stock turbos). My fuel pump couldn't meet demand throwing it into a lean condition. The logging seems to support this. Focusing in on my average ignition being .1 with 50% E85, my conclusion is I don't necessarily need more E85.

And I need to work on my map 6 fuel bias and duty bias(boost often overshoots).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Copyright © 2007 - 2018, N54tech.com