JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N54 (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Problems after cleaning valves (https://www.jb4tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24785)

HYONPSI 05-06-2014 02:02 PM

Problems after cleaning valves

2010 535ix jb4
I'm having alot of problems with my car.
The codes im getting are
2acc DME main relay, switch
29cf misfire 3
29ce misfire 2
29cc serveral cylinders misfire
0000 unknown fault.
The misfire only seems to be at idle. If i restart the car sometimes it will idle fine. The problems only arose after cleaning the intake valves.

Maybe I bumped something loose? Would a bad battery cause this issue? The dealer I got it from is going to replace the battery but I don't want to drive it with something major wrong.

boosted5 05-06-2014 02:06 PM

remove jb4 and start over with troubleshooting. Make sure you properly sealed the intake manifold onto the cylinder head. What method did you use to remove the gunk on the valves?

HYONPSI 05-06-2014 02:17 PM

jb4 is almost out now. I used carb and choke cleaner along with some brushes. Oxygen sensor safe. I installed new o-rings on the manifold. I suppose I should have read the manual... Should I have added some oil like most o-rings want?

I did have a boost leak code. I I forgot to bolt in the charge pipe. Once cleared it never came back. I'll do a proper BLT too.

George @ BMS 05-06-2014 03:16 PM

The problem with the carb cleaner is you can never get the part around the seated ring clean and it leaves a soft ring around. Sometimes when cycling the valves to clean the others this might go sit on the valve seats and cause the valve to stick on startup. If the wet carbon went through it could have fouled your plugs as well.

With carb cleaner there is also a risk if the valves are not perfectly closed the carb cleaner runs down the cylinder wall past the rings causing a rain drop on the window affect. This washes away the carbon the rings have gotten use to sealing against and the end result may be oil consumption and in worse case compression drop.

If I was you I would take it all apart again and reinstall. There isnt much that can cause the problem but something as simple as a breather not clipped properly into the throttle body will send you on a wild goose chase.

HYONPSI 05-06-2014 04:53 PM

JB4 is out. 10 miles on it so far with zero problems. Idles good. I do have plugs on the way. I'll do a leak down test when my socket gets here too. Thanks for the help guys.

HYONPSI 05-07-2014 07:35 AM

Now that I don't have jb4 installed I had to use my Bluetooth obd2 and torque app to check for code. The code I got now is p240a. Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Heater Control Circuit/Open. Is this an accurate description? I don't trust the torque app much. Is this the solenoid or whatever connected too the throttle body hose?

Duperstar 05-08-2014 08:01 PM

Try the BMWhat app, its gives very detailed codes. The lite version is free and for ios and android.