N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N63, N63TU (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Did we ever get the EWG plugs straightened out? (https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64103)

Mike_L 12-24-2020 07:17 PM

Did we ever get the EWG plugs straightened out?

Or are they still upside down for the TU3? Finally broke 1200 miles, finally floored my car and man was I underwhelmed. Sure donít feel like 523hp. More noise than acceleration. The midrange thatís great for normal driving (and makes it a better street car than the M5) feels like **** at WOT. JB4 is going on this weekend. Just need to know if the EWGs will work or if I should just install the TMAPs and obd. Thx.

Terry @ BMS 12-24-2020 10:38 PM

Fits some models, others have them 180 out and they don't fit, yet.

Mike_L 12-25-2020 01:12 AM

Okay, I’ll try them and find out. One looks easy to access, not so much the other.

phaser 12-25-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_L (Post )
Okay, Iíll try them and find out. One looks easy to access, not so much the other.

Please, please, take some pics while you are working on connecting the EWGs to the JB4.

phaser 12-25-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Or are they still upside down for the TU3? Finally broke 1200 miles, finally floored my car and man was I underwhelmed. Sure donít feel like 523hp. More noise than acceleration. The midrange thatís great for normal driving (and makes it a better street car than the M5) feels like **** at WOT. JB4 is going on this weekend. Just need to know if the EWGs will work or if I should just install the TMAPs and obd. Thx.

The 5 lbs of boost on map 1(maybe map 2) should be a very noticeable increase in power. I certainly hope so as I will be installing a JB4 on my '21 X5 M50i in Jan. and will likely have a '21 M550i by early summer and am considering the JB4 for that also. Lets us know how you make out, hope it gives you a nice big "bump"!

Mike_L 12-25-2020 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaser (Post )
Please, please, take some pics while you are working on connecting the EWGs to the JB4.

I think itís these. Access isnít as good as it looked like at first glance. Actually it looks like it may be easier to remove the actuators than access the plugs with them installed.

phaser 12-25-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

I think itís these. Access isnít as good as it looked like at first glance. Actually it looks like it may be easier to remove the actuators than access the plugs with them installed.

Great pics Mike.
Thank You.
Looks like the actuators are secured with (4) allen screws from what I see there.
Let me know how it goes. I'm guessing that my '21 X5 M50i will be the same config.

Mike_L 12-25-2020 06:42 PM

Its gonna be a few days. I gotta get a set of E Torx sockets. Thought I'd be able to remove the cross bar bolts with a hex, but I'm going end up rounding them off.

phaser 12-25-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Its gonna be a few days. I gotta get a set of E Torx sockets. Thought I'd be able to remove the cross bar bolts with a hex, but I'm going end up rounding them off.

I couldn't tell if they were hex or Torx. Rounding them out with a hex driver would be a real PIA.

phaser 01-02-2021 08:43 AM

Hey Mike, any success or progress with those waste gate actuator JB4 connections?

Mike_L 01-02-2021 09:29 AM

Haven’t had a chance to work on the car. Been working with BMW and the dealer on issues with the Tanzanite blue paint (it’s very soft and scratch prone), so I’m kinda afraid to lean on it until I get a ceramic coating next week. Don’t want to make it worse than the road debris already did.
I’ll see if I can pop off the driver side connector without removing the actuator. At least then we’ll know if it’s right or upside down.

EDIT: Nevermind. My big hands can't even get to the clip. Actuators are going to have to come off. I need to find out what size hex key fits the screws and pick up a long one. My sockets are way too big to even get to the them to figure out the size. :banghead:
EDIT Again: it’s either a 5/32 or 4mm hex. I ordered both so we’ll see.

Never fear though. As anyone who knows me would attest, I'm too stupid to give up. I will get this done, even if it takes a long time. :lol

Mike_L 01-22-2021 12:09 PM

UPDATE: Okay, like I said, I'm stupid and persistent. I got it done. No point in unbolting the actuators. They're still attached to the wastegates via rod, and they don't move much. Plus I lost a screw, so its safer not to even bother.

Anyway, The harness clips into the JB4 harness perfectly. However, the plug is upside-down to plug into the actuator. For me, it doesn't really matter. I have no desire to screw with those plugs ever again. For everybody that does, its not gonna work.

Terry @ BMS 01-22-2021 03:44 PM

Sounds like you have one of the 180 degree orientated ones then.

Mike_L 01-23-2021 10:40 AM

Yeah, pretty sure all the TU3s are going to be.

phaser 01-26-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post )
Sounds like you have one of the 180 degree orientated ones then.

Is there a solution to this?

Terry @ BMS 01-27-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Is there a solution to this?

We have the updated connectors required but have not made adapters yet for them.

phaser 01-28-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post )
We have the updated connectors required but have not made adapters yet for them.

So somewhere in the near future we will be able to make the wastegate connections to JB4?

Terry @ BMS 01-28-2021 12:13 PM

For those models with 180 out EWG connections, yes. We have the connectors here. Just need a 180 degree car to turn up so we can confirm the wiring positions for them.

Mike_L 01-28-2021 06:17 PM

You need access to a 180 degree car and a GM 2.0T. I have both. How about a trip to Central Florida?

Terry @ BMS 01-29-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

You need access to a 180 degree car and a GM 2.0T. I have both. How about a trip to Central Florida?

lol thanks but we'd need them here where we have all the testing and development equipment. :)

We have a new AWD dynojet going in March so I expect we'll get a lot more random cars in after that by offering them free dyno runs in exchange for letting us poke around a bit under the hood. :drinking:

phaser 01-29-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

How does your M550i run with just the 2 JB4 connections made?

Mike_L 01-30-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

How does your M550i run with just the 2 JB4 connections made?

I don't have it installed. In talking to some of the flash tuners, I'm hearing that the DMEs from 6/20-up are causing issues with tuning. They're locked down tight and aren't tuneable yet.
With that said, I'm trying to find out if the programming inside is different too. If it is, then theres no way to know if the JB4 will even work as expected. BMW isn't sharing the latest ETK or tech info yet, so I'm waiting until some others install it first to be sure. I can't risk a $35k motor in a lease on the expectation that it will work. It'll do something, but if the DME will fight it, I have no idea.

phaser 01-30-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

I don't have it installed. In talking to some of the flash tuners, I'm hearing that the DMEs from 6/20-up are causing issues with tuning. They're locked down tight and aren't tuneable yet.
With that said, I'm trying to find out if the programming inside is different too. If it is, then theres no way to know if the JB4 will even work as expected. BMW isn't sharing the latest ETK or tech info yet, so I'm waiting until some others install it first to be sure. I can't risk a $35k motor in a lease on the expectation that it will work. It'll do something, but if the DME will fight it, I have no idea.

Thanks Mike, appreciate the update.

zse8h 05-20-2021 12:46 PM

Bump. I would like to hook my EWGs up. Does anyone know if the hardware is ready yet?

phaser 05-21-2021 06:06 PM

Looking for this info also. Lets go!